TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-22-2003, 05:58 AM   #11
2619PDX

Default Re: Interior leak - Need help!

Thanks Mike:
Yeah, I can pull up the plastic strip, run a bead of caulk in there - all the way along - and replace the plastic strip and then seal the edges too! that oughta work!

Oh well. this goes along with owning an RV I guess.

BTW - The sealant used and recommended by Camping World is FLOW SEAL. It's available from them. It's a very thick, white sealant.

Thanks again!
Old 05-22-2003, 06:34 AM   #12
2619PDX

ok guys. Here's the scoop on the roof sealant, recommended for metal roofs by Camping World.

It's from DYCO and is called C-10 Flow Seal, Self Leveling Sealant. I guess this stuff was designed for the RV industry and metal roofs specifically.

It's formulated with DuPont Hypalon so that it forms a durable, flexible, synthetic rubber seal. temp range is between -30 deg F and 150 deg F.

Recommended Surface prep is a clean dry surface, free of debris, grime, frease or oil and loose caulk.

This is the stuff they used to seal around my solar bracket installation. Let me tell you, it's thick!! It's probably the same stuff that TM used to seal the roof vents and around the Wiengard TV antenna mount too.
I found the above info here;

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/c...ants/49487.htm

Gregg in Portland

Old 05-22-2003, 03:06 PM   #13
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Gregg,

I used my Scrubbing Bubbles cleaner to clean along the plastic strip real well. I washed it off, and then I dried off the roof. It was a nice sunny and windy day so it dried quickly.

Then I put the silicone along the sides of the plastic center strip like Donny at the factory had said to do. It worked well.

From what I see on the forum, I think I am going to do the back strip just as an ounce of prevention. I guess our cold and  freezing Winters, and  the hot Summers are hard on the RV's!!!

Good luck on your project.

Bob Strong

BOB_STRONG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 04:11 AM   #14
2619PDX

Thanks, Bob. I don't understand the timing of the leak since it wasn't there in January. Can't figure it out. Why now? What changed? I know it's kind of useless to try to figure out why it started leaking, but it would help to understand I guess.

Oh, well. Sealing the entire roof will insure no leaks.

Gregg