TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-05-2005, 05:32 AM   #1
Jim-NY

Default Urgent Advice Wanted for Alternative Trip

My friend Joanne and I planned to leave tomorrow for a 10-day vacation in Cape Breton, NS. Our primary activity was going to be hiking. Last night she sprained her ankle. We are considering alternative activities and destinations.

With the price of gas, and limited vacation time from work to use the TM to start with, I would really rather not drive all that way just to sit around the campground. We could drive the Cabot Trail and see the magnificent scenery, but we have done that before. This time we were going to focus on hiking there.

First, can anyone recommend something we might enjoy doing on a sprained ankle? Does anyone know of a place to do whatever that is which is less than a thousand miles from let’s say NYC, not that we are from there, but because everyone knows where it is?
Will probably postpone our departure until Wednesday 9/7/05.

Thanks!
Jim
Old 09-05-2005, 09:40 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Have you done the Maine coast? Monhegan Island? Casco Bay and Portland downtown? Mount Desert / Acadia is real nice now that Labor Day has passed and the hordes have thinned out. In any of these places, there are light-to-moderate hikes if she is up to it. Light-to-moderate bike riding, again if she is up to it. Sailing, either charter or rent-a-boat. Whale watches. Portland has several great museums, and of course restaurants.

If you like Cape Breton (we love it!), you'll be pleased if you drive "down east" - roughly the area between Bar Harbor and Eastport. The rock-bound coast is spectacular and virtually unpeopled. Beautiful fishing vollages, friendly people, a lack of the tourist mentality ...

It would be easy to fill ten days just wandering around the coast, and the weather this time of year is superb.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 01:03 AM   #3
Jim-NY

Default Ankle is fdeeling better...

Thanks for yhe advice Bill. We have been to Acadia, but we will definetly want to check the rest of yhe Maine coastline you describe out sometime.

The ankle is feelinig better and we are up at 3 AM to paxk head for Cape Breton after a couple nights in Fundy Nat'l Park. Being a holiday weekend we did not get to a doctor, but it would appear theat she had a bone in her ankle pop out of a socket or somthing and caused great pain for her to walk. She still has residual pain, but she can now walk on it pretty well. It will be 3 days before we will be where we originally intended to do our hiking. We are going to take it a day at a time and see what we can do.

We have 700 miles to travel today, so I should go finish the packing. I'll check in in a couple weeks. Being our first real trip I will have questions that you fine folks can help me with I'm sure! I really apprecuiate this forum. In fact I had not considdered a TM until I started reading the posts on this forum.

Thanks,

Jim