TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2020, 04:30 PM   #1
YYC2020

Default HELP - Damage on the side

New to Trailmanor and new to this forum.

After a lot of search, I found this 2011 Trailmanor 2720SL that I am looking to buy but the unit have damage on the side. Please see pics. Can someone tell me how to fix this or is this going to cause a major issue

I am from Canada and there are no dealers here.
Attached Images

YYC2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 08:09 PM   #2
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

There are repairs that can be made. The first question is where's the old piece that goes there? Is it available to reinstall, or not? Look at the exterior portion of this forum and use the search tool.

https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...809#post148809
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 08:26 AM   #3
oldstick
TrailManor Master

They do have the replacement plastic trim pieces available from the factory parts dept, at least they did earlier this year when I ordered one. It was over $50 though with shipping if I recall for a rear trim piece.

Accidentally knocked mine off backing the trailer one time, then I didn't do a good job reattaching it, so if fell off on the road somewhere. Used a good adhesive and a couple strategically placed sheet metal screws the second time for insurance.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 10:30 AM   #4
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default There is not a separate 'old piece'; this corner protector is broken off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidkraz View Post
There are repairs that can be made. The first question is where's the old piece that goes there? Is it available to reinstall, or not? Look at the exterior portion of this forum and use the search tool.
Kidkraz was correct to point at the relevant (and current) Thread of another owner with a damaged corner (A link for the full 'Thread' is https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...ad.php?t=20293). But that new owner is in a slightly different situation, with a damaged rear corner.

Your front corner has between one and three issues. First, the entire plastic "corner cover piece cover" of the "front shell" consists of ONE piece, not two. Even if you have the broken-off lower portion in hand, I feel that you should not attach it as a separate piece: Rather, you should order a new "corner cover" from the factory Then remove the portion which remains attached (going up to the top) and then install the new one.

The second issue may or may not be present within your front corner. (Your picture is too small an under-detailed to assess.) The "street side" and "front side" vertical walls need to be firmly attached to each other BEFORE adding the "corner cover" -- the cover is not intended to take all the stress which occurs during opening and closing. Make sure that they are firmly attached to each other, with no movement. And then:

Issue 3: In my model, the attachment and edges of the two sides (front and side) are completely covered and sealed underneath the plastic "cover" - sealed with relatively thick aluminum foil tape (overlapping from top to bottom, like shingles) - and then sealed with a high quality boat sealant.
- - - -
When you make the repair, I recommend use of 3M "boat sealant" #4200. It remains flexible over time (many years) and has good resistance to UV damage, although the white color will fade to a pale yellow over many years of exposure.

I broke my front shell "corner cover" lose several years ago, in a garage accident. Repaired in this way, it has been perfect ever since. Be absolutely sure that the drain holes remain open.
Old 09-07-2020, 01:59 PM   #5
YYC2020

Default Additional info

Thank you for your suggestions. I found out more on this trailer and wondering if anyone can share their experience.

I did a VIN search on the trailer that I am looking to buy and this is what came back:
Description of loss: Collision
Appraised Damage Amount: Total loss

The current owner did mention that he bought it from an insurance company. So it is a Salvaged unit. The vehicle had some damage to the side of the body (see pic) that was repaired by the current owner (patch work). There is no other damage noticeable in the trailer other than normal age related wear and tear.

I am torn between "buy" or "don't buy). TMs are not available in Canada.

No TM dealers is Canada.

If anyone selling a used TM close to Calgary in the US side, I will be interested to check that out after the border is opened up. I am 5 hours away from Kalispell and 7 hours from Spokane.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14.jpeg
Views:	126
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	19472   Click image for larger version

Name:	23.jpeg
Views:	119
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	19473  
Old 09-07-2020, 02:18 PM   #6
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Does it have evidence of hail damage, like many dimples in the roof? That could amount to a total loss for insurance, since it would require replacement of the shells, but result in mostly cosmetic damage that wouldn't necessarily be a deal breaker.

Note that insuring salvaged trailers may be challenging, so factor that in also.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 03:35 PM   #7
YYC2020

Hi Dave, Thanks for you note. There is no hail damage on the trailer. The roof is in great condition. I will speak to the insurance company and the registry office to find out if the trailer is insurable and can be registered without inspection.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:55 PM   #8
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

In Canada, vehicles older than 15 years can be imported without inspection. Those newer will have additional import fees and likely needs an inspection.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 09:27 PM   #9
YYC2020

Hi Larry, The previous owner already imported the trailer and was using it in Canada. It is a 2011 2720Sl so 9 years old. Its just that the trailer was written off by Insurance for some body panel damage and so is a "salvaged" unit. Debating if I should buy it. Structurally everything is ok with the trailer.
Old 09-07-2020, 09:34 PM   #10
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

I don't think you will have any trouble insuring. ICBC never looked at my trailer, except to verify the VIN.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body seal