TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2021, 08:44 PM   #1
The_Ravven

Default New To TM ... we discovered camping love tho

Hello all!

So me and my love discovered our love of camping. I had a boat we both enjoyed but decided to sell to get a camper. I loved the idea of an Aliner or A frame camper ... while working on selling the boat i discovered the trailmanor. Wow omg wow ... then looked for weeks for one and found a 2005 2720 ... picking it up tomorrow. I will have pictures to share soon. I do have some questions. The one i got, well it has no curtains but the owner screwed in hanging blinds which are screw in at set up and screw out when you leave. So should i fill the wholes and move to curtains again. I have a 3d printer and 3d design experience ... so making brackets is easy if the walls would be better served with curtains. Two, the truck I bought the tow in is a tundra with a 7200 pound towing capacity. However i had problem and need to tow with an enterprise rental towing truck ... so i know these are easier to tow ... my experience is jet skies and up to 20 foot boats ... is there anything i need to know about towing the TM...

extremely happy in the purchase and been lurking on these forums awhile to learn stuff.

I will post pictures soon ... ttyl all
The_Ravven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 06:46 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Good morning, and congratulations. You are going to love your TM.

The subject of curtains - how to make them, how to hang them, and lots of cool ways to do it - is one of the most popular topics here on the Forum. You'll get lots of responses very quickly, many of them with pictures. Meanwhile, you can get ahead of the game by clicking on Search, put in the word "curtain", and you will uncover far more than you can digest very quickly.

As for towing, TMs are exceptionally easy to tow. They are purposely built with the wheels set a little further aft than usual (do you like how I slipped in that nautical word, for a boat guy?), which increases the tongue weight a bit (plan on 400 pounds) but makes them almost totally immune to sway. Almost all owners tow without a sway control device of any kind. Enterprise may have requirements of their own, of course. All TMs have electric brakes, so you will need a brake controller in your own vehicle. I have no idea how Enterprise will handle this topic. FWIW, your TM probably weighs around 3500 pounds before you fill it with your stuff.

You may come to regret announcing that you have a 3D printer and know how to use it. Everyone has need for that capability once in a while.

Enjoy. Looking forward to stories and pictures.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 09:06 AM   #3
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Congratulations! We love ours, BTW.

For curtains, this was what I did:

https://www.trailmanorowners.com/for...light=Curtains

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 02:53 PM   #4
KMOlsen

Default What timing on curtains!

I literally just posted my journey making curtains for our 2720 in the "Pictures" section of this forum before seeing your inquiry.

We had the same experience purchasing our 2720 without curtains, and that issue of the blinds needing to be removed each time you close the trailer also moved us to the simple, quick, no storage solution of curtains.

Part #3 of my post includes a photo showing the track. It looks like "RECMAR SlideRite Plastic Curtain Track" on Amazon might be the same thing unless you really want to buy the 3D material instead. FYI, the tracks extended about 1-2" from the sides of the windows. We used wood putty which matched with the wall colors to fill unused holes where tie backs had been.

We just had our first excursion and are very happy campers! Good luck with yours
Old 06-23-2021, 09:05 PM   #5
The_Ravven

Hey, thanks all for the replies! Love all your curtain idea's ... ultimately we decided on using 2140 Oil Rubbed Bronze Telescoping Sash 5/16" Dia that are sold at home depot. We used these because the color scheme and remodel we are doing involves removing the factory fabric valance? things over the windows. So i found these in this video https://youtu.be/h8ORyUYdnxo?t=73 i time stamped! So the prior owner wired a new 7 pin incorrectly and i am working on fixing that. The inside we did cleaning on over the last weekend.

4 Things

1... "set a little further aft than usual" thank you ... and i got called out by an rv friend for calling it shore power lol. Thanks again for the congrats bill. The rental was a 2021 ram 2500 with tow package .... helped me learn that the 7 pin on the trailer was wired backwards. simply put the left turn signal made the camper activate the right and vis-a-verse. So thank goodness i had a 2500 as the trailmanor's brakes would not work.

2.. I have questions on the fact that the prior owner did work to the bolts and torsion bars. It took me using zip ties to "pull" the latch down to get the thing to even come close to sealing. any tips? i can get more pictures as needed to explain the problem.

3... being a 2005 i want to paint the outside trim and top corner caps as they have yellowed and i would love to make them black... anyone tried that yet?

4.. what is a good replace for the velcro as most of ours is missing or on its way out.

**edit need to fix the picture size for the seal and zip tie issue**

two interior shows pre-reno

Love all your curtain ideas so thanks for that ... wanted the most simple quick and easy but if they don't work out ... shrug lol

So next step is this weekend we finish cleaning and loading the trailer with our stuff. I also want to let you all know one thing. My Tundra i got is a 2000 v8 4x4 with 85k miles. I got it dirt cheap because it has no title. I checked the vin to make sure its not stolen or savage. There is a thing called the Vermont Loophole. If a vehicle, rv, motorcyle or whatever is over 15 years old you can use this loophole to get vermont registration and take that to your local dmv to get turned into a title in your state. Its prime info i learned a week before getting my tundra ... but it allowed us to spend more on the camper then the truck. Not looking to go into debt for a hobby!

Anywho, i will post more pictures if these worked soon! This weekend.... is cleaning and painting prep!
Old 06-23-2021, 09:13 PM   #6
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Your cabinet is down side up and your pictures are HUGE!
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 09:16 PM   #7
The_Ravven

i noticed that ... sorry lol

need to figure that one out

also the cabinet was just moved there while cleaning lol
Old 06-24-2021, 06:23 AM   #8
Bill
Site Team

The body of the cabinet appears to be right side up, but the doors have been reversed and turned over. From the photo, I can't tell for sure if the cabinet has a "step" in its back wall. But if so, it should be hanging over the sink. But one of the hanging brackets on the wall is missing - all I see is the empty screwholes. Fortunately they are cheap and not hard to find - you could even get one or two from the factory if it comes to that.

Once the cabinet is correctly located, a popular place for the microwave or toaster oven is in the gap between the wardrobe and the silverware drawer next to the sink.

The factory has an option called the microwave drawer - a standalone single drawer shallow cabinet that drops into this gap. Once in place, the top of this unit is level with the adjacent counter, making more counter space and a great place to put the microwave. It is virtually identical to the built-in silverware drawer. If you are handy, you could build your own, or you could get one from the factory. The microwave drawer was actually invented by a member right here on the Forum, quite a few years ago when the factory was in Tennessee. The factory loved it and picked it up.

Welcome aboard. And I'm fascinated with this Vermont info.

Bill
Old 06-24-2021, 06:30 AM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Second try.

The cabinet - or t least the doors - may have been removed from under the oven. Do I see a big empty space there? If so, it is correct as it is. You could probably reinstall it.

The over-sink cabinet is nowhere to be seen in the photos, but the fact that there is a hanging bracket (and its missing twin) says that it existed at one time.

If you could use more helpful suggestions, we could use a few more photos of the kitchen area.

Bill
Old 06-24-2021, 10:19 AM   #10
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
The body of the cabinet appears to be right side up, but the doors have been reversed and turned over. From the photo, I can't tell for sure if the cabinet has a "step" in its back wall. But if so, it should be hanging over the sink. But one of the hanging brackets on the wall is missing - all I see is the empty screwholes. Fortunately they are cheap and not hard to find - you could even get one or two from the factory if it comes to that.

Once the cabinet is correctly located, a popular place for the microwave or toaster oven is in the gap between the wardrobe and the silverware drawer next to the sink.

The factory has an option called the microwave drawer - a standalone single drawer shallow cabinet that drops into this gap. Once in place, the top of this unit is level with the adjacent counter, making more counter space and a great place to put the microwave. It is virtually identical to the built-in silverware drawer. If you are handy, you could build your own, or you could get one from the factory. The microwave drawer was actually invented by a member right here on the Forum, quite a few years ago when the factory was in Tennessee. The factory loved it and picked it up.

Welcome aboard. And I'm fascinated with this Vermont info.

Bill
I noticed that too, but a) I wasn't so sure, and b) you beat me to it.

The cabinet in the picture could be the optional cabinet that mounts above the stove. We don't have one, but I have considered ordering one or making one to go above our stove, or even making a shelf that would hang on one of the brackets.

I believe the brackets that Bill is referring to that mount on the wall are the same type that comes with the dinette table kit. The table hooks into the same bracket. However, the hook that mounts on the back of the cabinet itself comes from the corner latch kit that holds the shells down at each corner. So, to get a complete set to mount a cabinet you'd have to buy two separate kits for something else because they are not usually sold separately. The TM factory may be the best place to get these because I'm sure they will sell the brackets individually.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote