TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-14-2003, 07:44 AM   #1
leonardbakers

Default What size inverter?

???I'm trying to decide what size inverter to purchase for my 3023.  I have a bank of 4 batteries to run it (two on the tongue and two under the short bench seat)  Gonna mount the inverter in the small middle compartment under the short bench seat. The largest draw that I can think of will be the 800 watt microwave that my wife refuses to do without.

There are some Coleman inverters advertised in Sportsman's Guide and other catalogs that seem to be reasonably priced.  Does anyone have any experience with the Coleman inverters?  

Also,  what's the best way to route the produced AC into the TM's 110 volt AC system?
Old 07-14-2003, 09:16 AM   #2
tipper

Default Re: What size inverter?

Your microwave will draw more than its rating.  And the inverter is not 100% efficient  So you need be somewhat conservative on the inverter rating.  If you visit other RV forums you might learn more here.

However, I have these comments:

1) You would be drawing about 100 amps from the batteries.  Be aware of wiring requirement at this current level?

2)  I'm not sure what battery size you're consideriing but do your amp-hour calculations without going below 50% and understand that the battery amp-hour capacity needs to be derated at the high current draw level of a microwave.  

3) You are carrying a lot of extra weight in your 3023.  Be aware of your reserve weight capacity.

4) How do you intend to recharge those four batteries?  The TM converter has a pea shooter to recharge that bank.

Good luck here.  I would have suggested going the generator route for the microwave power.  Much lighter and resolves the recharging situation.