TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-20-2008, 01:23 PM   #1
Yalcib

Smile New 2720 Owner

Hi Folks,

We are excited to be owners of a brand new 2009 2720. We ordered it with A/C, awning, 40-gallon fresh water tank, wood-grain vinyl floor and 80 watt solar panel w/controller.

When it arrived, we found that in addition to all that, it also has LED lights, tinted windows and 15" alloy wheels with 225/75R15 load range D Marathon tires.

So, the question is, how much of that expected and how much is just what TrailManor happened to have built...

Also, the labeling is a bit confusing about whether the tires should have 50psi or 65psi.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:36 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yalcib View Post
Hi Folks,

We are excited to be owners of a brand new 2009 2720. We ordered it with A/C, awning, 40-gallon fresh water tank, wood-grain vinyl floor and 80 watt solar panel w/controller.

When it arrived, we found that in addition to all that, it also has LED lights, tinted windows and 15" alloy wheels with 225/75R15 load range D Marathon tires.

So, the question is, how much of that expected and how much is just what TrailManor happened to have built...

Also, the labeling is a bit confusing about whether the tires should have 50psi or 65psi.
ALWAYS go by the rating printed on the sidewall of tire.....there are too many opportunities for error on labels and manuals. What is molded on the tire is what you must go by, no matter what anything else says.

Trailer tires (unlike car tires) should be checked "Cold" and the tire should be inflated to it's maximum rating.......no more....no less.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:15 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Like most (but not all) TM models, the traditional 2720 comes with 14-inch tires. These tires are rated for 50 psi max, and should be run at this pressure since they don't have a lot of load-carrying margin.

It sounds like you don't have a traditional 2720, but rather the Anniversary Edition, with 15-inch tires as part of the package. Very nice! These bigger tires will carry more load at 50 psi than the 14-inch tires. They can also run at higher pressure - the stated max is 65 psi, and at this pressure, they have a LOT of load-carrying capacity.

I will agree with HarveyRV that tire pressure should be checked cold, and then not fiddled with. I will disagree with him about always inflating to the max pressure stated on the sidewall. According to Goodyear, it is quite OK to run at less than max, as long as you realize that less-than-max pressure means less-than-max the load-carrying capacity. But the load-carrying capacity of the 15-inch tires is so big that a bit of reduction is perfectly OK.

I run my 15-inch Marathons at 55-60 psi. At that pressure, they have a lot more load-carrying capacity than the 14-inch tires. I don't run them at 65 psi, because at that pressure, the tires are rock-hard, which tends to shake the trailer badly.

There is a lot of discussion about this whole issue in the "Tires Tires Tires" forum. You would do well to sit down and spend a couplke hours just reading through it all.

But I think that is the source of the confusion in the labelling. And as HarveyRV says, it would be wise never to inflate beyond the number stated on the sidewall of the tire.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:26 PM   #4
Wavery
TrailManor Master

I realize that there is some controversy on the "Max inflation" subject. When making recommendations to others, I prefer to er on the side of caution.

Trailer tires are built differently than car tires. Trailer tires depend on the firmness of the sidewall for cooling and sway reduction.

It is true that the 15" load range "D" tires have a higher load range capacity @ max inflation than is legally required for the weight of the your TM. It is also true that the max weight capacity is reduced @ lower air pressure. What you must also be aware of is that the tire is more flexible @ lower pressure (no matter what the weight is on the tire) and is more susceptible to sway.

Having said all that, if you find that running at max pressure is problematic, experimenting with slightly lower pressure can be done but be very cognoscente of swaying, especially in windy conditions. Also be aware that running your tires @ maximum weight bearing capacity increases your chance of blow-out. That's the nice part of having tires with a higher capacity than you need. I would not recommend giving away that advantage.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/inf...rTireFacts.dos
Old 10-20-2008, 04:45 PM   #5
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Default Recent Changes On 2009 TM

We were at the Hershey, Pa. RV show back in September. They had on display the first units that had the changes being made to the 2009 1/2 models. They have entirely different outside decals, LED outside lights, 15 inch tires with alloy wheels, the new exit window on the rear instead of pulling up the back bed. Also, with this new exit window, there is no longer a rear window awning. Also, they had made some other changes inside with fabrics and colors. The red interior is gone for good. Also, the windows were tinted plus the rubber was no longer white, but was black as most manufacturers are using now because of mold problems. The black contrast with the new decals and outside colors was sure sharp.

They had (3) 2009 1/2 models on display. What a difference from the 2009 models that were made in May thru September.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:21 PM   #6
Yalcib

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB_STRONG View Post
We were at the Hershey, Pa. RV show back in September. They had on display the first units that had the changes being made to the 2009 1/2 models. They have entirely different outside decals, LED outside lights, 15 inch tires with alloy wheels, the new exit window on the rear instead of pulling up the back bed. Also, with this new exit window, there is no longer a rear window awning. Also, they had made some other changes inside with fabrics and colors. The red interior is gone for good. Also, the windows were tinted plus the rubber was no longer white, but was black as most manufacturers are using now because of mold problems. The black contrast with the new decals and outside colors was sure sharp.

They had (3) 2009 1/2 models on display. What a difference from the 2009 models that were made in May thru September.
Ah... A 2009 1/2 is what we have then. It also has the new rear window and the the new decals. The sticker shows a September build date.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:14 AM   #7
larsdennert

Very nice. TM really listens to feedback and constantly improves. That is the mark of a good company. Everybody makes "mistakes". Not everyone corrects them.
The 15" wheels is maybe the best improvement IMO because it makes the trailer safer no matter if you inflate to 50 or 65psi.
You'll love the wood grain flooring. I just swapped out the carpet in mine to it and I can't believe I waited so long.
I also saw the '09s at a show. They really look nice inside now.
Enjoy!
Old 10-26-2008, 07:05 PM   #8
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdennert View Post
Very nice. TM really listens to feedback and constantly improves. That is the mark of a good company. Everybody makes "mistakes". Not everyone corrects them.
The 15" wheels is maybe the best improvement IMO because it makes the trailer safer no matter if you inflate to 50 or 65psi.
You'll love the wood grain flooring. I just swapped out the carpet in mine to it and I can't believe I waited so long.
I also saw the '09s at a show. They really look nice inside now.
Enjoy!
If I had the 15 inch wheels then I could not park the TM in the garage. With 14 inch wheels and the factory installed lift kit, I have a quarter inch of clearance.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:01 PM   #9
larsdennert

Sounds like you'd have to be creative to get it in there. Either air down when pulling in or find some 14" D rated tires. Hopefully you'll never have tire issues anyway.