TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-13-2010, 06:23 PM   #1
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Default Three week trip to the Oregon coast!

Hi all!

We just returned from a three week trip to the Oregon coast and thought we'd share a few things. We had a tight schedule on the way out which resulted in five states in three days. Yikes. We spent the first night in Evanston, WY (Phillips RV Park - not good!), the second at Farewell Bend State Park (just over the Oregon border on the Snake River, great!) and then the weekend at Sauvie Island near Portland. This place is a hoot and a deserves a thread of its own. We parked and did day trips after that so we moved on to Fort Stevens State Park in Astoria (nice but a rain forest). Then down to Nehalem State Park (again nice, the beach is a little bit of a walk from the campground). Then down to South Beach (very near Newport which has a zillion things to do PLUS you can hear the Newport sea lions from the park, in a good way ). Finally down to the most beautiful KOA we have ever seen in Waldport. We got to see four lighthouses which was great! Heceta Head Lighthouse is apparently the most photographed lighthouse in the world and there is a reason for that! The aquarium in Newport is terrific.

As for the trip home, it was much more relaxed and I'll just mention a couple of things. Never, ever stay at the KOA in Provo (the bathroom was so filthy it was not usable among other things). If you ever get a chance to see the Capitol Reef National Park, DO!

We have longed to do this trip for a very long time and were very blessed with the best weather imaginable! We put almost 4000 miles on the truck and 3000 on the TM but that's the point isn't it???

Malinda
Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)
120w Solar Panel - 2.5" lift 15" Marathons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OneMoBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:34 PM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

We used to live in Oregon, and I can vouch for the beauty of the coast. It's fabulous.

Unfortunately, I've also been to the KOA in Provo, stopping there for less than 12 hrs to just get some sleep. Never again......and we didn't even use the bathroom.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:46 PM   #3
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Wow, I read the reviews of this Provo KOA that come up in google maps. I guess the KOA home office people are not really checking the franchisers too closely these days! It sounded dreadful.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:56 PM   #4
Bluegrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbmiller3 View Post
Wow, I read the reviews of this Provo KOA that come up in google maps. I guess the KOA home office people are not really checking the franchisers too closely these days! It sounded dreadful.
It is dreadful and you didn't even mention having to navigate the piles of duck poop to get anywhere. Wish I could have given some advice. We live just 20 minutes from there. Lakeside RV park, just another mile or so down the same road is much, much better for the same price.

Keith
Old 10-14-2010, 07:26 AM   #5
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

I think this is absolutely worth discussion but perhaps Bill should split this off under a different title . . .

That said, we have traveled for years with a KOA directory mostly for use while getting from point A to point B with overnights in between. It is appalling that KOA would allow this place to still use their name and has made us not trust them like we used to.

So, any suggestions about which campground directory we should get?

Malinda
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-14-2010, 08:19 AM   #6
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoBear View Post
If you ever get a chance to see the Capitol Reef National Park, DO!
Yes, that's a magical place. And so is Canyonlands and the other parks in the area. We hope to go back ...
Old 10-14-2010, 01:41 PM   #7
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
It is dreadful and you didn't even mention having to navigate the piles of duck poop to get anywhere. Wish I could have given some advice. We live just 20 minutes from there. Lakeside RV park, just another mile or so down the same road is much, much better for the same price.

Keith
Thanks Keith I don't plan on being back in the area any time soon (although I think Provo is lovely) but your advice will no doubt help someone else!

Malinda
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]