TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-01-2010, 06:09 AM   #1
Clwpaddler

Default Good Sams Membership

Hi all! was wondering if anyone is a member of the Good Sams Club. I want to investigate the RV insurance coverage vs my State Farm coverage. The cost according to the online quote from Good Sams is substantially less than State Farm. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Woody
Old 12-01-2010, 07:00 AM   #2
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Default Good Sam

We have good sam for two reasons only
If we stop at a full hook-up private campground, rarely
Buy rv parts
We don't insure the TM, its covered by our auto insurance while towing and the home owners when at home. Don't see vandelism as a real issue while boondocking.

We have State Farm, no matter what we do it creeps up a dollar here and there. Also in Fl we get hit with the 1% hurricane fund.

Take a look at this thread http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...8122#post78122

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 08:45 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

We have Good Sam membership. We buy it for the campground discounts - there is usually (but not always) a Good Sam campground wherever we want to stop on our twice-a-year cross-country trips - and we buy it for the discount on the Big Book of Campgrounds. The savings probably pay for the membership fee, though I've never actually listed them out.

I used to buy the Road Service insurance, and one year I bought the mechanical breakdown (appliance) insurance. But the cost of both has gone up a lot, and with the company teetering on the verge of bankruptcy, I'm reluctant to sink a lot of money into them.

Just my 2 cents ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 09:07 AM   #4
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

I used to buy the Road Service insurance, and one year I bought the mechanical breakdown (appliance) insurance. But the cost of both has gone up a lot, and with the company teetering on the verge of bankruptcy, I'm reluctant to sink a lot of money into them.

Just my 2 cents ...

Bill
Wow . . . that is depressing to hear, we bought the Road Service Insurance this year.

Tim
Old 12-01-2010, 10:09 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Tim -

That doesn't necessarily mean that your money is gone. It depends on how and if the company is reorganized, and whether it can find investment funding to allow it continue. But strange things happen in a bankruptcy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affinity_Group_Inc.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 11:06 AM   #6
YWORRYDOG
Site Sponsor

I have a membership for the same reasons that Bill has. I had the RV road service until last Sept. They sent me a renewal with cards for someone else. I call and they said oops someone is in trouble, they will send new ones. I called a month later, on hold for 30 minutes and they could not figure out what my problem was, will call me back. I called again 2 weeks later same thing! Then I sent the renewal back with a written letter again saying I would love to renew if I only could get the cards that have my name and membership #. Nothing! As we were going on a trip, I went with AAA RV.

If I was sure that the person that I had the cards for was currant with there membership I guess that would have worked for less $$$ the AAA.
YWORRYDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:45 PM   #7
Clwpaddler

Default Good Sams

Thanks everyone, sounds like I will stay with my good ole State Farm for now.

Woody
Old 12-16-2010, 08:59 AM   #8
TravlinOn

For any who are interested in but are worried if Good Sams's owner, Affinity, is.was going bankrupt, they have current news on their website at the link below. Currently, they are saying that in Nov, 2010, they sold some 6yr Notes. At least, I would say that the Org is hoping to continue in business for a while longer, and I wish them success.

http://www.affinitygroup.com/news/
Old 12-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #9
ng2951

Good Sam's was total waste of money and I have always gotten more form AAA. Their books are almost as lame as their website, and since AAA is FIRST CLASS, why pay twice for a service that is lacking?

We rarely stop in private parks and when we do we can usually swing a deal on our own. Its always easier to do that if there are other parks in the area. Some even have AAA rates, all the better.

If Sam's were more on par with AAA I might buy a membership. Until they are I will spend my money elsewhere...
Old 12-16-2010, 04:01 PM   #10
kempert
Site Sponsor

I switched my RV insurance from GEICO to GMAC based on the good reviews that I'd gotten from Good Sam members. The RV insurance from GMAC cost me more than GEICO. After the big crash on 4-1-10, I regretted that change. GEICO was easy to work with on the damages (totaled) to my truck. GMAC was a different story. They declared my TM totaled and said it was only worth $6,000. I found out from Ed at TM that the estimate was based on the base price of the TM. When I faxed GMAC the original invoice showing $2,001 worth of add ons, the appraisal value didn't go up. I was told that if I could prove that several similar trailers had been sold for a high value they would re-evaluate my TM's worth. I tried internet searches but only found one which was not enough to satisfy them. Good Sam Club and GMAC are now in my dog house.
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote