TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2019, 08:33 AM   #1
FlyboyTR

Question Keeping The Water Out ???

We are long time campers and currently have a 40' Allegro Bus, Surveyor travel trailer and also tent and hammock camp. While we love the bus and the trailer, neither are meeting our current camping needs. We are tying to make arrangements to see a Trailmanor that is available within 100 miles of our home...which I'm sure will help clear up my questions. But in the meantime......

We are looking closely at the 2720 SL. My question is about the water/weather seals while towing. If I understand correctly the inside top has a ridge that seals along the top of the bottom half (like a pop up). So, I have yet to find any type of info regarding how the top half interior walls are sealed/protected from the elements when the unit is in the closed position. After reviewing endless pictures and videos it would seem that if one laid on the ground and looked up between the outer shell and the base, one would be looking directly at the top half interior walls, curtains, etc.

So...what seals this area off when traveling? Thanks in advance for your help.
FlyboyTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 08:40 AM   #2
oldstick
TrailManor Master

I think you are pretty much correct on that. I mistakenly left one of the windows open which created a big updraft into the camper going down the road. Should have seen the road dust that had coated every flat surface when we arrived.

Our Trailmanor is satisfactory for what we do with it but to be honest, if I was already accustomed to having something like a motor home, I don't think I would like the TM at all.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:59 AM   #3
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

There are seals along the bottom inside edges of the upper shell to seal it when closed. You should not be able to lay on your back and see up into to the closed camper. Each of my campers there were a few small areas that did not seal real well, but no issues. Never had a wet wall after traveling through a rainstorm. The fender cover can bow in and be a small issue, we installed an aluminum rod across the inside edge to keep it flat, issue gone.

If traveling on dusty roads, we found to close off the bathroom vent from outside and dust was greatly reduced. I tape it over with duct tape
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 03:12 PM   #4
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

The only real complaint I have heard of is that the curtains can pick up road dust. When we got our TM used, the original curtains had already been replaced, but I didn't like the method used to secure them. I made a set of valances for each window that can be removed with the curtains. It adds another couple of minutes of set up time, but they curtains definitely stay clean.

When closed, there is a double seal. If any water enters from the front roof, it gets blocked by the second seal and drains off the side. I've never had issues with water getting in, except through broken vent seals and that is part of regular maintenance.

Oldstick makes a good point. If you are accustomed to a motorhome or larger trailer, you may be wishing for "more". When set up, TM have a fairly low ceiling height, less cupboard space. While we would love to travel in style, we don't have the room for a full sized trailer, and towing a 2720 is a breeze. A TM is about the best compromise between a tent trailer and a full sized trailer. I love ours. However, they are so unique that most owners learn to do their own maintenance. There are a few dealers nationwide that can service your TM, but you might have to travel quite a distance to get to one. Who knows, that might change in the future. That would be nice, but the TM concept attracts a very unique (and friendly) crowd.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 03:40 PM   #5
FlyboyTR

Thanks for the reply and info. Since we still tent and hammock camp...not being in the bus or travel trailer isn't a big deal. We are looking for a compromise between all of the above. Lighter weight and low profile for easy towing, etc. We have owned several conventional popups (even while owning the others). I love towing it...but don't like the canvas, etc. This is what is drawing us to the TM.

We do travel frequently on dirt roads and it sounds like the inside walls of the top halves could easily get very dusty.

Thanks again for the info and gracious replies. Still trying to learn more about the TM.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:35 PM   #6
oldstick
TrailManor Master

To clarify my earlier comments, yes the rear edges of the top shell have a good seal along the top and down both sides assuming the seal is in good shape. No issues with water getting in there whether open or closed and traveling. I was referring to the seals along the bottoms of the shells along the sides of the trailer. They don't provide as tight of a contact when closed as the upper bag type seals and don't seal out dust as well when traveling. At least on mine this is the case. No issues with rain water splashing up that high.

As far as weight, my opinion is most any of the TMs are FAR above the class of most any canvas pop-up, despite what they claim at the manufacturer. Not intending to start a debate on this subject, but depending on what your existing travel trailer is, you could be disappointed at how heavy the TM's actual weight turns out to be.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 04:49 PM   #7
FlyboyTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstick View Post
To clarify my earlier comments, yes the rear edges of the top shell have a good seal along the top and down both sides assuming the seal is in good shape. No issues with water getting in there whether open or closed and traveling. I was referring to the seals along the bottoms of the shells along the sides of the trailer. They don't provide as tight of a contact when closed as the upper bag type seals and don't seal out dust as well when traveling. At least on mine this is the case. No issues with rain water splashing up that high.

As far as weight, my opinion is most any of the TMs are FAR above the class of most any canvas pop-up, despite what they claim at the manufacturer. Not intending to start a debate on this subject, but depending on what your existing travel trailer is, you could be disappointed at how heavy the TM's actual weight turns out to be.
Thanks! Our TT is a Surveyor Cadet SC189. Dry weight is 3,850 with tandem axle. We are leaning towards the TM 2720 SL which should come in under 3k dry (according to what I'm reading). So I'm seeing lighter and low profile which should make towing easier.

We tow with a Lexus GX470, V8, 4x4, 6,500lb tow rating. it is a beast. This vehicle is also modified and we use it for our offroad/softroad adventures. For us...anything away from the pavement has the potential to bring something new and exciting.
Old 03-31-2019, 06:35 PM   #8
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

I've taken my Trailmanor to an offroad property I have around Macdoel, California. If you don't irrigate, it's high desert. The neighbor grows hay and ranches cows. It probably was about 3 miles on gravel and another 1.5 on dirt. I would not make a habit of that, just because nobody's graded the road in a long time. A real off-road trailer has coil springs and shock absorbers. The Trailmanor has a rubber axle made for paved roads. I bought a 40' high-cube one-trip freight container for that property, as a fixed campsite, and won't pull the trailer there again.

I think I had more problems from jostling than dust. I did scratch up the bathroom door, and had to buy a roll of woodgrain vinyl to fix it. I'd pack it more carefully next time.

If you bring a broom on an extension handle, and brush off the rear shell before closing the front one, there will be less intrusion of leaves and twigs. Larger tree fall is liable to make dents on the inside ceiling of the front shell if you don't remove it. But there are always some leaves and twigs to be cleaned away after opening the camper.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:43 PM   #9
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

TM is known to be more tongue heavy than other trailers, so even though it may be "lightweight" as far as trailers go, there will be more down-weight on the hitch than other similar weight trailers. But, much of the weight will come from how you pack. Because it has holding tanks, a lot of weight can come from prefilling the holding tanks if you are boondocking. Filled propane bottles will add a lot of tongue weight also.

I overloaded the rear axle on our Tahoe which has a pretty decent towing capacity. We had packed a lot of water, and canned food, plus 3 adults and 2 kids. Don't forget the people when it comes to the GVWR for your tow vehicle! 4 adults can add 600 lbs just like that. If they like their beer, closer to 1000 lbs, and that's not just the beer The beer will be another 100 lbs. (Fortunately, FWIW, I don't drink much beer).

But then, you've done a lot of camping, so you probably know all this stuff already.

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:24 AM   #10
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyTR View Post
... We have owned several conventional popups (even while owning the others). I love towing it...but don't like the canvas, etc. This is what is drawing us to the TM.

We do travel frequently on dirt roads and it sounds like the inside walls of the top halves could easily get very dusty.

Thanks again for the info and gracious replies. Still trying to learn more about the TM.
I often drag my TM on dirt roads in NV. If you want to avoid dust AND you are willing to create a bit of extra trash, you can pull a roll of 3-inch 'Scotch Blue Painter's Tape" as a kind of inner corner seal - pressed in along the inside "base box", and loosely overlapping the shell seals. You can't press into the seals, because the shells bounce a bit on ruts and potholes in roadways. But this tape overlap overlap does prevent a lot of dust entry.

You could also stuff a full length strip of one sided, 3" wide "pipe insulation" up there, and then tape it in place with 4 or 5 crossing tape strips to hold it in place. (Tape from bottom of the "box", up onto the sides.) I've done this too, and keeps the inside completely spotless. But the seal-up is slower, and you have those rolls of fiberglass insulation to store somewhere.

Your Lexus is a beast, and can easily two any TM - but you will probably want to use a WDH. I use a 6-cylinder 4R with my heavily loaded 2619, and never have trouble on Sierra Nevada passes, or occasional Whitney Portal trips. (Even Mt Rose and Hwy 108, the Sonora Pass - though that last one is best driven uphill from Nevada, downhill into California).

Tags
keeping the dust out, water seals, weather seals