TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #1
Steppy

Smile Spring's Coming!

I just became a TM owner last Dec buying a 2004 2720SL. I'm an RV newby, well on land anyway having owned a sailboat which is kinda like an RV on water. I've done a lot of reading on this great TM Owner's site in getting ready to get my TM road worthy. I've been in contact with several of the TM owners here and thank them for their time and great advice and assistance.

I have ordered a lift kit from Eddie at the TM factory and have 15" wheels on the way. I'll be mounting ST225/75R15 Maxxis on them with steel stems. I've ordered a Curt 800 TW WDH.

I've ordered new brake assemblies and bearings.

I've never messed with a Thetford recirc toilet before.

I've made out a whole list of things to do based on my research in here like the water heater annode, flushing the heater, etc.

When I bought the rig, none of the drains had been opened and the weather was below 32 degrees when I bought it. I opened all the drains and heated the interior to 70 for a couple days. Drained the water heater. It'll be interesting when I pressurize the water system this Spring to see if i have any leaks.

I can't wait for warmer weather to start the cleaning and repair process. I have a small leak around the ceiling fan vent I discovered in Dec. I covered the TM with a tarp. Any suggestions for what to use to loosen up the old caulk/ I plan to re-bed the vent with one of the 3M Marine sealers so I don't have to revisit this again.

This is a great site and I've benefited a lot already. Thanks again to harv and the others who have helped me thus far.
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Curt WDH Trunnion 800 # TW
Steppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:00 PM   #2
greentrail

When I visited the factory last year I asked them what they used. They use Ultra High Molecular weight Plastic (UHMW). I picked up a couple. It's maybe 5 inch long 1/4 inch thick by 3/4 inch wide with a taper cut like a chisel on both ends. I was surprised how well it worked, and it's really slippery stuff so it doesn't scratch. I also used a stiff plastic putty knife.

Good luck!
Old 03-12-2011, 03:02 PM   #3
Steppy

Default Ultra High Molecular weight Plastic Caulk Remover

Thanks. Where did you pick them up, at the factory or elsewhere?
Old 03-13-2011, 07:38 AM   #4
greentrail

Yes, I did get them from the factory when I was there. You can / could purchase bull UHMW plastic and make your own on the table saw. I don't know what they would charge, they gave them to me when I was there.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:27 PM   #5
Steppy

Just got in all the stuff I ordered from Eddie @ TrailManor including the lift kit. Now I just need some decent weather so I can get crackin' on installing the lift kit, new bearings and brake assemblies. Old Man Winter just won't leave us alone.