TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-30-2007, 10:06 PM   #1
saltamonte

Default Mattress - How Thick?

I have a new 2720SL and want to replace the 4" mattress with something more comfortable. Camping World has a mattress with the correct length and width with a memory foam topper, which should be perfect if the thickness is right. Does anyone know how thick a mattress one can install and still safely close the unit?
Old 10-31-2007, 05:04 AM   #2
lnussbau

You can't go much beyond what comes from the factory. I use a 2" memory foam mattress on top of the original (sleeps wonderfully), and it's really too much to close with. When I first got this mattress, I was able to close the TM with difficulty (a lot of pressing down and patience). So now I fold it in quarters and store it on the couch, when ready to close -- just takes a minute.
Old 10-31-2007, 08:54 AM   #3
hingarfi

Default More mattress padding

As Larry N suggests, we also use an auxiliary pad on top of the standard mattress. We have 2 home-made pads of 4 inch foam which we remove and store between the sofas when we pack up. The total of 8 inches make a great bed for us.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:00 AM   #4
Rich_in_Tampa

There's less clearance there than meets the eye. Make sure you have room for storing your travasaks or whatever you use on top of the mattress, it that's how you travel.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:48 AM   #5
saltamonte

Thanks for the info on mattress thickness everyone. As I suspected I can't go much thicker than the factory original. It seems that a 2" memory foam topper on top of the factory mattress is the best one can do. Even using this some are having trouble closing the unit. Anyway I know more now even though I didn't get the reply I wanted.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:49 PM   #6
Scott O

No one mentioned the AeroBed. Deflated, it fits just fine even with a Travesak on top. Very comfortable also. But you better have access to 110 to pump it up!
Old 10-31-2007, 06:07 PM   #7
Fdxflyer

We use 1 and a half inch memory foam and with bedding have no problems.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:31 PM   #8
BobRederick

Saltamonte
I have 1 3/4 inch mem foam on my OEM mattress and it is the best bed I own. I have to take the Travasak off to fold up and the top does come down and hit it. I pull down on the shell to close the latch.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:15 AM   #9
ragmopp

As to 110 power for inflating/deflating an Aerobed. It is not necessary, IF, you have a supplemental power supply. I have a powerpac 400 from Xantrex that works just fine inflating or deflating our Aerobed. A generator such as the Honda will also work...

Mike Anderson
Old 11-01-2007, 08:26 AM   #10
saltamonte

Default Mattress Solutions

I spoke with TrailManor about mattress thickness yesterday. Ed told me that all TrailManors are different with respect to clearance for the mattress once you close the unit. He told me to close the rear section and then look at how much clearance I have with a flashlight. I did this and discovered I have about 3.5 inches in the middle which slopes towards the ends. This should give me plenty of clearance for another 2 inches. Added to the 4 inch factory mattress I think a 6 inch mattress should work fine with my unit and close without problem. Artisans Mattress artisansmattress.com will cut an original Tempur-Pedic mattress exactly to your specifications and this includes thickness. I think this should be a good solution for a good sleep in a TrailManor - any comments?

2007 2720SL
2002 Toyota 4Runner Ltd, Supercharged
TJM Bullbar w/ 9000 lb Warn Winch
Custom Rock Sliders & Sucro Safari Roof Rack