TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-12-2005, 06:31 PM   #1
jouster

Question USB TV Tuners

First, I have NO experience with these gadgets.
Second, we have camped for over 20 years wo serious withdrawal effects from TV.

Next year, our trips will be more lengthy, 2 to 4 months. Sometime we might actually want to watch TV and by happenstance be in a CG that has cable or less likely be in a CG where air reception is possible.

Rather than buying a TV and having something else taking up space, I am wondering if a USB TV tuner hooked to the laptop would handle out meager needs of putting the picture on the screen.

Does anyone have any advise?
Old 09-13-2005, 04:04 AM   #2
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Default ATI TV Wonder USB 2.0

Best Buy was selling this tuner for $60 a while ago, so I took a chance. It works reasonably well. It seems like lip-sync could be better at times, but that may have something to do with the speed of the laptop's processor. One can show a matrix displaying periodically updated freeze frames of what is on each channel, from which a channel can be chosen for viewing. It also has a built-in recorder for recording shows; I have not tried that feature. I am using it with a Dell Inspiron 8600. From reading discussion boards, it appears that it may not work with all operating systems/computers. Also, setup is not as simple as just plugging in a TV: plug in laptop, plug in ATI, connect ATI to antenna, connect ATI to laptop, and then figure out how to use the software after having not used in a while.
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 12:51 PM   #3
Joesjunk
Site Sponsor

I currently have a WinTV plugged into my laptop for on-the-road TV.
Works OK. Not Great. Got it on sale at Best Buy for about $90.
Make sure that you PC is fast enough to support the one you purchase.

Good Luck.
Joesjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 11:56 AM   #4
LittleBirdie

Default Notebook TV Tuner

This tv tuner is PCMCIA tv tuner. It has the ability for you to be able to hook up your DVD or VCR to it and watch movie via those devices if you do not have DVD Rom.

AverMedia is the brand that I have installed on two laptops at work and the tv was not too bad. It will never be a HDTV quality, but it has come a long way.

Our company paid $76.00 for each card. I would definitely get one of these for my laptop to get rid of the hassel of towing 13 inches tv that is taking up valuable counter space. I am in process of trying to figure out how to utilize that space by the couch so I can have the tv, dvd, coffee maker and area to dry the dishes. So far no idea.
Old 10-05-2005, 04:05 PM   #5
Bill & Lisa

two ideas for you--an under mattress mouned TV shelf such as Cateye has made or a factory made wall or cabinet mounted one, and an in sink dish drainer with a "bachelor's buddy" soap/sponge wand. Of course, you could invest in a flat screen?

Alternately:
When we tent camped or in our pop up, we set up a wash station outside on the picnic table. We used two of my old hospital wash basins and a towel for a drain board. At that time we had to heat water on the stove but now that's not an issue.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:06 PM   #6
camp2canoe

Default TV tuner

While at Best Buy lately I saw that Toshiba has a notebook computer with the tuner built in. Don't ask me where Tosiba comes up with the name but they bill their Qosmio series as complete entertainment systems. We occasionally use the laptop in our 2619 to watch a video and in the spring (if the price comes down) we are thinking about upgrading our aging Dell to a Toshiba Qosmio. A notebook is sure easier to store than a portable television and our 15" screen is perfect on the counter above the fridge.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:44 PM   #7
LittleBirdie

Talking Laptop

Hello,

I work with computers everyday both hardware and software related. I also work with the network side too. It is a fun job. I am always looking at new technologies and all.

I am waiting until laptop from Dell are 64-bits instead of 32 bits. We already have the 64-bits machines at work. It is a whole lot faster than the 32-bits machine. Dell said they will be coming out with the new 64-bits laptop in March or April next year. I am hoping for one with the 17" screen and buy one for both work and personal. I will definitely be using it to take on trip with me.

If I were to use CPU at home for home entertainment. I would go with Shuttle for my DVR capabilities. It is a neat little system.

Anyway, for now, I am using a 13" tv. However, I am finding myself outdoor so much that I am not watching tv. I figured that I am at work 5 days a week and couped up inside, so why stay in the camper to watch tv? Go geocaching, go hiking, explore new area and have fun outside!