TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-30-2010, 08:11 AM   #1
jchmel9719

Default Mass, NH, and Maine

Please Help.

Just moved to Mass from Colorado and went on our first camping trip in New England this last weekend...........Went to Myles Standish.......Not Great!

Any ideas on good, open, camping with some privacy, within 3 hours from Boston. I dont like to be stacked on top of the guy next to me.

Beach or mountains ok,
Old 08-30-2010, 10:26 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Labor Day weekend will be a disaster. Don't even go out for groceries if you can avoid it - I don't. Once Labor Day is past, and assuming you can get away, you will like things in New England a lot more. Even the Cape becomes more accessible and more fun.

Three hours doesn't get you far from Boston. People from the West think New England is tiny, even though it takes all afternoon to row around Rhode Island! But you can get up into the White Mountains of NH, and far enough up into Maine to have fun. Both have good State Forest Camppgrounds. Western Mass (the Berkshires) is within reach out I-90, but much of central Vermont is out of reach. Vermont is great in October, by the way, and western Maine will come to peak a bit later.

I am the first to admit I am biased toward Maine. If I were you, I would head north into Maine. Anyplace around Sebago Lake would be good, though still may be a bit crowded because it isn't too far from Mass. Or go up I-95 to Brunswick, and then head south onto one of the peninsulas. Any of the Boothbays, Bailey Island, Orrs Island - all are wonderful places on salt water, and not too crowded even in season.

And of course I haven't talked about going south from Boston at all. Others here are more knowledgable than I.

It depends partly on what you want to do with your day. Some people want to roll out the awning and the cooler, sit in the shade, and chat with their neighbors. Others get out in the early morning, to see and do stuff in the area, and don't get back until late afternoon. It also depends also on what kind of campground you want - full hookups tend to be small, but there are many larger campgrounds in State Parks. I'm presuming you have a copy of the Big Book of Campgrounds. There are two, one from Good Sam and one from Woodall's.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
jchmel9719

Default Bill, Thank you!

This is a great starting point. THANKS!

Weekend after next is Nickerson State Park on the Cape, then we are going to look north toward Maine and NH. If anything else comes to mind, please let me know.

Jason
Old 08-31-2010, 01:42 PM   #4
curlyontop

Thumbs up

Wild Duck Campground in Saco, Maine is a beautiful Adult Only (not-nudist)
campground.
It is located near some of the best local resturants. Is also right up the road from Old Orchard beach!!!
Old 09-01-2010, 07:02 AM   #5
Joesjunk
Site Sponsor

Default Any CG's on Connectuit coast?

Will be doing a trip up that way next year and NOT looking forward to the NYC area. But, the New England area shows promise.
What does Connectuit have to offer along the coast?

Thanks,
Joesjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:28 PM   #6
P and B

I live on the Cape. Nickerson is a great park if you're not looking for full hookups. If you are, I believe there's a nice park north of Nickerson that are close to the light house. Can't remember which town it's in. There's also a couple of campgrounds in Provincetown- one a little out of town and the other sort of intown.

Bill's right though. We go to Maine. But we usually go up around Acadia National Park. A slightly longer drive that three hours but no much more and well worth the extra travel time I think.

I know of very little in Connecticut- although there are some nice state parks (no hookups). Not sure why because they have some really nice areas in CT.

Happy hunting.

Phil
Old 09-01-2010, 06:04 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

With Earl coming up the coast, you should have most any campground to yourself. Be sure to give us a post-trip report!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:17 PM   #8
SCBillandJane

We are going to this area soon after Earl. We hope that there is no damage. Please post if we will have trouble finding campgrounds open due to damage.
SCBillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:21 PM   #9
jchmel9719

After my first "not Great" camping trip at Myles Standish, we headed for Nickerson on the Cape. It was fantastic! Big sites, respectful campers, beauty, biking, hiking, water, quiet. Thanks for the ideas. I am heading for the White Mountains in the next couple of weeks.

I'm going to like New England after all. I will report on the White Mountain trip.
Old 09-23-2010, 04:13 PM   #10
NYJeff

I thought Cove Camping Area in Conway, NH was fantastic. We were on the peninsula in sites 28 & 29 - perfect.