TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-09-2004, 09:36 PM   #1
EPICSDUDE

Default Refrig Vents and Wasps

Does anyone have an opinion about putting aluminum screen behind the refrigerator vents on the side of the TM? Both upper and lower. This seems like a possible solution to keep wasps from nesting.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:56 AM   #2
live2shopnc

Default Re:Refrig Vents and Wasps

I don't know about the TM yet, but I put it on my slide-in and it works great.
Old 03-10-2004, 03:41 PM   #3
DancinCampers

I installed plastic window screening on the inside of both my refrigerator vents shortly after we bought our TM. Used silicon to attach the screen.

I also installed a small piece of screen over the fresh water fill vent. I was having trouble filling the tank & found the vent tube inside the TM was blocked with hard mud, which I assumed was put there by wasps or other insects building a nest.

Take care,
Dan
Old 03-10-2004, 08:25 PM   #4
EPICSDUDE

I have put aluminum screen behind the upper and lower refrigerator vents on the TM. I figured that heated air would be vented especially by the upper vent. Not sure how hot it would be, so that is why I chose the aluminum vs the cloth type screen. I glued it in place with some Goop RV adhesive. There is no way a wasp or mud dauber can get in now to build nests and clog up stuff.

I will try it out this weekend on a camping trip. It should not hinder any air from flowing, but I will monitor it closely while the refrigerator is running.
Old 03-11-2004, 01:55 PM   #5
jniles

When we picked up our unit I purchased a mud dauber cover for the furnace from the dealer. We have used them on both of our other units in the past. The technician did not want me to install it until after we would not be using the furnace and wanted me to promise to remove it each winter. He says they can cause carbon dioxide build up in the unit. I have not been able to find anything in the furnace manual warning about this. Does anyone know if there is merit to this? I could see it if the screen was covered with cotton wood cotton or other debris blocking the vent.
Old 03-12-2004, 08:23 AM   #6
arknoah

I wish we had put some kind of screening on our unit at the door outside the refer. We had a problem with corn beetles (the ladybug-like bugs that actually bite), and believe they were coming in that way. It took a fogging to get rid of them but it could have been prevented by putting some kind of screening on the inside of the door. I don't think that the screening should cause any undue heat buildup.
Old 03-15-2004, 08:14 AM   #7
EPICSDUDE

I used the TM is weekend with the screen over the refrigerator vents. The outside temperature vaired from 50 to 75 degrees. The refrigerator worked like a charm, and no heat build up was noted.

This should help keep the wasps and dirt daubers out during the spring and summer.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:46 PM   #8
EPICSDUDE

I have attached a photo of the screen behind the refrigerator vent. It has kept the wasps and mud daubers out so far.

Rocky
Old 04-06-2004, 09:35 AM   #9
mamabear

How do you have the screen fastened on?

mamabear
Old 04-06-2004, 11:37 AM   #10
EPICSDUDE

I purchased Goop RV adhesive from my local Home Depot. This is pretty sticky stuff. I cut the screen to size and ran a bead of adhesive along the long edge. I pressed the screen material into the adhesive with my finger until it oozed throught the screen. Once the adhesive had time to set, I then ran the adhesive along the opposite long edge. After it set, I worked on the short edges. It took me maybe 30 minutes to do both upper and lower vents. I checked it the other day to see if was working loose and it is firmly there!

I also used the Goop to repair my torn awning. Works pretty good!

Rocky