TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Recommended Campgrounds and Places to Visit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2014, 06:49 AM   #1
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Default The Great River Road some thoughts

This is a trek that may be of interest to some, it isn't city specific because of the length.
1. Get the map and plan carefully! Over all signage is good but.
Sometimes one sign has you turn and at the same time the other wants you to go straight.
Why this happens is because the Great River Road is actually two routes; one on the east side on the Mississippi and the other on the west side. One on those signs above is taking you across the river. Our suggestion take the eastern side to go south and the western side to go north.

Plan, plan and plan as the roads you take are US hwys, some state roads, and some will be back country county roads. If you use electronic navigation as we do; plan the route on your GPS compatible laptop mapping soft ware. Another source is Goggle maps as it is compatible with some GPS equipment. After making a section of route, we do between CG's, review it closely in Goggle Earth for traps, ie intersections that don't exist or dirt instead of a paved road. Once done upload to your GPS and keep a copy on your laptop should you want to make changes. High lite your route on paper maps for your co-poilet / navigator.

2. Campgrounds are plentiful, often less then 50 miles apart. They run the gambit from fish camps to state parks to ACOE to private. Most are directly on the river.

3. Useful links:
http://experiencemississippiriver.com/
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/
http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/visitors/
http://www.allstays.com/Campgrounds/

As we think of stuff we will update this

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:24 AM   #2
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Just a side note but any more I do not consider a tablet for personal use that does not have a GPS. Problem is they are getting harder to find. There are USB GPS units and some phones can be tethered but the lack makes hand carry awkward.

ps I prefer Street Atlas (Delorme) but Google Maps is constantly being updated and online systems can display traffic issues. The bad news is that they have to be online to do so. Unless your TV has a hotspot that can be difficult.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:52 AM   #3
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

Thanks for the observation of the road signs. We did part of the drive and had run into that issue. Never understood it? But know it makes sense.

If you do the trip googe "Lambert's Restaurant" and don't miss the flying rolls. Its on the western side of the river near the southern border MO, near where I-57 crosses the river.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:13 AM   #4
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett View Post
........................snip.

ps I prefer Street Atlas (Delorme) .........................
We used Street Atlas until I got the 2010 upgrade; a lot of money for that one and not as user friendly as previous versions.

Garmin seems to be headed the same way, they no longer support Mapsource and Base Camp is harder to use along with lost features from Mapsource.
Garmin's data files keep getting bigger and slower to down load.

What ever happened to the KISS principal?

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:07 PM   #5
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentcamper View Post
Thanks for the observation of the road signs. We did part of the drive and had run into that issue. Never understood it? But know it makes sense.

If you do the trip googe "Lambert's Restaurant" and don't miss the flying rolls. Its on the western side of the river near the southern border MO, near where I-57 crosses the river.
Lambert's is great...have been to that one. My brother in law and sister in law have been to all of them.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote