TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-24-2014, 12:50 PM   #1
Randy

Default Air Conditioner Roof Gasket

I need to replace the roof gasket for the the air conditioner. Any suggestions on how to tackle this project? Is the roof structure strong enough to support someone working on the roof with both shells in the raised position? Or do I need to raise the front shell, take out the threaded rods and then lower the front shell to remove the air conditioner unit itself?

Thanks,

Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:11 PM   #2
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

randy
yes can work on top, I use a couple old coshions to keep from putting knee dimples in the top as you move around,
so is that where your leak is at? reason I ask, have had the same #$%^ leak , same place, between vent and ac unit, drips out of the little trim piece I was wondering if that was my problem also,

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:24 AM   #3
davlin
TrailManor Master

I find it convenient to use knee pads. They go where I go. If you're going to remove the AC, be very careful where you set it. It weighs about 125 lbs., and can easily dimple or puncture the aluminum skin of the roof. I used a chain hoist when I replaced mine on our old 3326.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2544.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	9915  
davlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 12:05 PM   #4
BobandPat2720

Smile

Randy, I just replaced my roof gasket. I suggest you use a neoprene gasket , they are flexable and "firm", I got mine at an RV dealer near my home, squeeze check it before you buy. I put stacked 2X4 pieces above the side walls at roof corners ( to handle the weight ) then laid an extension ladder across the 2X4s to bridge over the roof, I also placed a piece of plywood on the rungs of the ladder to make a work platform so very little roof contact was needed. Make sure your power is OFF, drop inside control panel, disconnect the A.C. feed, set panel aside, remove the 4 long corner bolts on inside mounting bracket and set bolts and bracket aside.
Go topside and GENTLY move Ac unit to the side (I used a square of plywood on roof for protection ) ,clean bottom of AC and riser surface of old gasket & dirt. Now, I found on mine that between the riser cover and the internal structure that I needed to install a trimmed piece of plywood to give support to handle the weight of the AC unit, the factory cutout under the riser was too big and the weight of the Ac unit rolled the edges of the riser surface downward so the water rolled in towards the opening instead of away to the roof surface.
Stick seal and support pads to bottom of AC unit,
( a helper will make this part alot easier ) reset unit over opening, go inside align the holes for mounting bolts to the corners of the opening, and reinstall inside pieces,connect AC POWER and enjoy. My replacement took about an hour.
GOOD LUCK, I HOPE all goes well
BobandPat2720 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner, roof gasket