TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-31-2007, 09:43 PM   #11
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

I finally bought a 110v air compressor for the garage, so that I can keep the cars, the trailer, and everything else properly inflated. But if I was going to use a 12v model, I saw one at Costco that looked pretty good. I would use the 12 outlet in the TV because the TV alternator has a lot more oomph for driving the compressor (ya know, I'm thinking you could put the TV along side a parked trailer pretty easy, right?).

Not to make this thread into a tire discussion, but low air in the trailer tires is a big deal. Trailer tires are bias ply, not radial ply, and they have weak sidewalls that don't like flex, heat, or abrasion. The trailer tire loads are more than the TV tires have to carry (1500-2000#), and they need the high air pressure that's specified so that they don't self destruct and then make you have to read the fix-the-wheel-well threads on these message boards.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:13 AM   #12
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodor47 View Post
It is much easier to reach the TM tires from the TM battery than from the cigarette lighter of the tow vehicle.
I had the same problem so I got a rechargeable compressor. It's kind of heavy with a big lead acid battery in it, but it sure is nice to be able to reach all the tires without moving cords around. It charges from shore power or the tow vehicle's 12 socket. It stows nicely in one of the Expedition's cubby holes.

For years I had "corded" ones, but I never will again.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 05:48 AM   #13
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Bill,

Thanks for the rechargeable compressor suggestion . . . I will look into that option.

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:07 AM   #14
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Adventure View Post
Trailer tires are bias ply, not radial ply, and they have weak sidewalls that don't like flex, heat, or abrasion.
I think most of the tires people are using on their TMs are radials. The Goodyear Marathon is a radial ply design, as well as many others brands.

Chap
Old 01-09-2008, 03:08 PM   #15
TraceyMac

I just wanted to thank Rickst29 for his excellent idea on the "yuppie" cowboy coffee. It worked great and best of all, it can be done with no new appliance, only existing pans and a small filter basket. Thanks for the great suggestion.