TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Trailmanor Elkmont Models
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
Gerry 1950
BannedUsers

Default Elkmont versus 2720SD

I have been planning to purchase a 2720SD for my retirement. I visited the factory in Lake City, TN a few weeks ago and was introduced to the Elkmont.
I will be 61 when I retire and my wife is 53 and already retired. We will be the only ones using the trailer on a regular basis. My tow vehicle is a 2004 4Runner sport edition with a 4.0L engine and a towing capacity of 5,000Lbs., tongue weight 500lbs. (factory equipped). My suv gets about 23-24 mpg at posted highways speeds, i.e. 65 and 70 mph. Here is the dilemna. There are obvious conveniences to the elkmont(walk around bed, full size refrigerator,
slightly larger bathroom, ease of use during travel..) that seems to be more important as we get older, however, gas prices are increasing again and the future is uncertain. Is it worth losing a few mpg for convenience. I really would like to hear from an owner who has traded from a fold down trailmanor to an elkmont with their views concerning towability, gas mileage, etc. My local dealer advised me that my mileage will be cut in half and I will have to install anti-sway devices. This seems a little extreme even to a novice like me who has never owned nor towed a trailer. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Gerry 1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:14 PM   #2
ib4classics

Gerry, my wife and I are seniors too. We just purchased a 2006, 3023 in mint condition.
I tow with a 2008 Toyota 4 Runner with the V8.
I towed the trailer home from South Carolina (134 miles) to Johnson City TN. over a long 6% grade with just the 2" ball and hitch. My weight distributing hitch is still set up for my old trailer, a 2000 Skyline 190 LT 3500 lbs. dry weight it's a regular type trailer about 20' long.
I would never tow my old trailer without a WDH, and I hated towing the 3023 without a WDH.
The rear of my 4 runner squated, the front of the TM dipped, and I had to use a hydraulic floor jack when I got home to get the hitch high enough to uncouple the trailer.
The trailer was empty and dry and only my wife and I were in the car.
The WDH makes a huge difference, and you are going to have the wind resistance I had with my old trailer.
We have towed something most of our 40 years of marriage and I can tell you, with the right equipment, some practice, and a willing partner RVing can be wonderful.
My 4 Runner has a 7000 lb. tow rating, with all the towing I have done I will not exceed
5000 lbs. or so, leaving a healthy margin.
As an example, in climbing the long 6% grade, I maintained 55-60, the trans dropped to
3rd (5 speed) and the rpms were near 4000. That was with the V8.
The WDH will keep you safer, give you a better ride, and be less strain on you 4 Runner.
Best of luck with your choice, Trailmanor is a great product and company and we hope to see you at a campsite soon.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
ib4classics

Gerry, more follow up. With our 3023 we have not increased our total lengt form our old trailer which was 23 '. We have greatly expanded our living and usable area with the 3023.
I know it was a short trip but there was the 6% grade and I lost 2 miles per gallon towing the 3023.
We took a week long trip to Florida a few years ago with the old trailer and I had a Tundra with the same V8 then, 390 axle ratio on the Tundra and 373 on my current 4 Runner which I think is the same axle ratio yu have. We got 8-9 mpg towing the convential trailer, loaded but dry, which had the about the same dry weight as our current 3023.
No we can't just walk back and walk in the trailer but after having had both I would take the 3023 or the 2720 over a conventional trailer.
We have had pop ups, cab over camper on a pickup and pulled a boat, motorhome and pulled a small car behind, conventional travel trailer, and for leisure rving at an affordable price, I pick the original Trailmanor.
Sorry to be so long winded but I know this is your first time and it's a big choice.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:17 PM   #4
kenngeri2720

Gerry
In April of this year we traded in or 2009 2720SL in on a 2009 Elkmont. The big advantage for us and the reason we traded which is the getting in an out of the 2720 bed. I tow with a 2007 4runner and found that I may have lost 1 to 1.5 mpg going to the Elkmont. The Elkmont tows like a dream here in the Colorado mountains and I feel very little movement when I am passed by a large truck , but a bit more than with the 2720. Overall we are very happy with the Elkmont and the way the trailer is laid out. Both are very good trailers, but the Elkmont just works better for our needs. The wife had full knee replacement and getting in and out of the bed made it difficult and took some of the fun out of camping
Old 07-09-2009, 04:38 PM   #5
ng2951

As you get older it gets old setting up the trailer. The Elkmont will reduce the need to do that, plus you don't have to take everything off the counters.

I would certainly some more fuel numbers, but from what I have read the Elkmont fuel bite is very small.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:22 PM   #6
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

We have looked at the new Elkmont trailers at Bryant's RV, and we were very impressed with the storage space, larger bathroom, and huge refrig. As soon as TrailManor starts production of the larger dual axle Elkmont with the bathroom across the back and a large side dinette, we will be trading in our 2002 3326 King. From what I have read and heard, I don't think the gas mileage will be much different than what I get pulling the 3326 with my Durango with a Hemi.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:22 AM   #7
Bob&Karen

John,

That 6% grade you're talking about must be either Saluda Mtn. or Sam's Gap - we live in Gray and have pulled those grades many, many times with different campers, from a pop-up to a fifth-wheel. Love the way the TM pulls better than anything we've ever had.

As far as the Elkmont is concerned, I'd really want to tow one at speed on the interstate before I made a decision. I've towed conventional travel trailers and I DO NOT like the sway that's intorduced by the full-height campers. The fifth wheel we had was easy to pull, although it was very heavy. Somehow I can't see how a lightweight Elkmont wouldn't be blown all over the road by the semis on the interstate, but maybe I don't know enough about them to have an informed opinion. I do know that our 3124KS pulls like a dream and I have never had any issues with sway.

Regards,

Bob
Old 07-10-2009, 07:07 AM   #8
lnussbau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob&Karen View Post

As far as the Elkmont is concerned, I'd really want to tow one at speed on the interstate before I made a decision. I've towed conventional travel trailers and I DO NOT like the sway that's intorduced by the full-height campers. The fifth wheel we had was easy to pull, although it was very heavy. Somehow I can't see how a lightweight Elkmont wouldn't be blown all over the road by the semis on the interstate, but maybe I don't know enough about them to have an informed opinion. I do know that our 3124KS pulls like a dream and I have never had any issues with sway.

Regards,

Bob
Of course I've never pulled one, but during the tech talk at the Trailblazers Jubilee last month, Mike (son of the TM founder) talked specifically about sway, and he said the same principle and calculations for axle location on the Elkmont were used as those on the folding TMs. To me, that means sway shouldn't be an issue, any more than it is with any other TM.

Perhaps some actual Elkmont owners could address this issue more fully, as Ken did above.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:27 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Gerry -

No matter which way you go, load up your trailer for camping - and then weigh it! Dry weight has little meaning - but I think even less on the Elkmont.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:51 PM   #10
rubydoodle

My husband and I are retired and love our TM 3023. I love all the drawers. We use a step-stool for me to get in and out of the bed since I am only 5'3". We have had two pop-ups, two travel trailers, and the TM is our favorite by far. My husband loves the lower profile and the way it tows with our Honda Ridgeline (used to tow with a Toyota Sienna minivan). Even though most of the time, it is just the two of us, we love all the space, and it is really nice to be able to take a couple of grandchildren every now and then.