TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2009, 09:27 AM   #1
gocntry

Default Wheel Weight Ratings.....

Ok, I'm Looking To Do The 15" Tire / Wheel Upgrade. I Can Get The 225/75/R15 Load Range D GoodYear Marathon Tires No Problem There.

My Problem Is With The Wheels. The Load Range D Tire Has A Load Rating Of 2500lbs. Anywhere I Try In This Area (DC Metro) The Only Steel Wheels They Can Get (trailer supply, tire shop, rv stores) Are Rated At 2050 Lb.

I Know There Are 2500 Lb Rated Wheels, I Can Order Them Off The Internet But The Shipping Is As Much As The Wheel . Will The 2050 Lb Wheels Work?? Or Should I Order The 2500Lb Rated Wheels To Match The 2500Lb Tire Rating??

Thanks For Any Help

Jeff
Old 07-07-2009, 08:59 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I know this isn't much help, but ...

My experience is reflected in post number 151 in this thread
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...?t=5586&page=4
I bought my wheels from the local franchise of a chain tire store. I think it was Tire Warehouse. The white-painted steel wheels looked exactly like the TM wheels, and I have seen them elsewhere. They were stamped 2600 pounds, so I was satisfied.

Rick had the same experience - see post 94 in the same thread.

My conclusion would be that you do not have to go online and pay outrageous shipping costs. Your tire dealer should be able to order 2600-pound wheels as part of his normal delivery cycle. Or you might visit a few tire shops in the area and see if they have them in stock - one of them probably will. Just tell them you want white-painted steel, size 15X6, bolt circle 5 on 4-1/2, 2600 pound rated. When you get them, get metal valve stems installed, and balance them.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:42 AM   #3
gocntry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
The White-painted steel wheels looked exactly like the TM wheels, and I have seen them elsewhere. They were stamped 2600 pounds.
Your tire dealer should be able to order 2600-pound wheels as part of his normal delivery cycle. Or you might visit a few tire shops in the area and see if they have them in stock - one of them probably will. Just tell them you want white-painted steel, size 15X6, bolt circle 5 on 4-1/2, 2600 pound rated. When you get them, get metal valve stems installed, and balance them.

I Thought It Should Be That Easy But I Have Been To 2 Different Rv Stores, 1 Trailer Specialty Store, And 3 Tire Shops And They Can't Pull It Off . One Place Used Dexstar Wheels Their Website Shows No Such Wheel Rating For A 5 Bolt.

Next Time You Get A Chance Could You See If Your Wheels Have A Manufacturer Stamp On Them? Maybe That Would Help Me Track Some Down. I'm Finding This Really Stupid That No One Can Get Them Around Here.

P.s. I Do Have The Steel Valve Stems Rated @ 150 psi Ready To Go In The Rims Just No Rims Yet
Old 07-07-2009, 11:12 AM   #4
mtnguy

After I ordered 2 wheels from the local RV dealer, and then saw where they were only rated for 1500 lbs ea.("but we use them for all of our trailers"), I ordered 2600 lb. rated wheels from here:

http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com...duct/SP1565SWE

At that time, the total cost including shipping was $91.97.......and the 2 that I picked up from the the dealer were $84.......not a real big difference for that extra peace of mind.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:12 PM   #5
gocntry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
After I ordered 2 wheels from the local RV dealer, and then saw where they were only rated for 1500 lbs ea.("but we use them for all of our trailers"), I ordered 2600 lb. rated wheels from here:

http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com...duct/SP1565SWE

At that time, the total cost including shipping was $91.97.......and the 2 that I picked up from the the dealer were $84.......not a real big difference for that extra peace of mind.
THANKS ..... Just Ordered 3 Rims With The 2600 LB Rating Shipping Was $24.00 For All 3 The Price Was Just About What The Dealers Wanted For The Lower Rated Rims They Could Get.

On My Way To 15" Tires.......
Old 07-07-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
CAmark
Site Sponsor

This is what I love about this community!

mark
or 04 Pilot w/ Tow Package
Prodigy Brake Controller; Husky 800/1200 WDH; McKesh Mirrors
2006 2720SL; A/C; awning; swing hitch; 14" NEXEN Load Range D tires
CAmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 03:07 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocntry View Post
And you're going to love them! Let us know how it all works out. We all learn from these experiences.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

I wish that I could have gone to 15" when I bought new tires a few months ago.

My '98 2720 only has about 3/8" (or less) between the rear of the tire and the frame . I'm actually a little surprised that it doesn't rub at highway speeds.

Does anyone know what the clearance is on the later models??
Old 07-07-2009, 07:05 PM   #9
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocntry View Post
THANKS ..... Just Ordered 3 Rims With The 2600 LB Rating Shipping Was $24.00 For All 3 The Price Was Just About What The Dealers Wanted For The Lower Rated Rims They Could Get.

You are welcome. Keep us posted on the change over.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:39 AM   #10
gocntry

Anybody Know What Size Lug Nuts Are Used On The Trailmanor (2008)??

Gotta Get Rid Of Those Stock Steel And Get Some Nice Chrome Ones.