TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-02-2009, 03:12 PM   #1
lester2720

Default Water Heater

First time dry camping my battery was low, I charged the battery using a generator during the time of charging and not knowing, I turn the switch on (shore power) for the water heater (while using propane to the water heater) and trip the breaker in the converter. Once the battery was charged and diconnected from the generator I reset the breaker not thinking anything was wrong with the water heater.
Later on I plugged the TV to shore power and put the shore power switch on 5 hours later I did not have hot water so I tried resetting the breaker and the reset button at the water heater that did not do the trick. Did I burned the element or the switch?? Any help would be appricated. Oh the water heater works fine on propane.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

I don't have the electric water heater, but from what I have read on this forum, it sounds like you burned out the electric element.
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:45 PM   #3
rumbleweed

It is not clear from your question if the water heater was full of water when you turned on the switch, If it was not full ( you ran a hot water faucet until water came out this takes a while using the 12V pump). you most likely burned up the element.

Bob
Old 04-03-2009, 06:47 PM   #4
lester2720

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
It is not clear from your question if the water heater was full of water when you turned on the switch, If it was not full ( you ran a hot water faucet until water came out this takes a while using the 12V pump). you most likely burned up the element.

Bob
The TM was later on hooked up to city water and sure power with the switch turned on located at the water heater. I'm going to take a ohms meter and test the connection at the element, shouldn't that tell me if the problem is the switch or element are is there something else in the TM I not aware of ? (This is my first camper I've own and not real familiar with every component)
Old 04-04-2009, 06:15 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Lester -

When you take the ohmmeter reading at the element, be sure to disconnect one wire (either black or white) from the element. If I recall correctly, the refrigerator is wired in parallel with the water heater, so you could end up measuring the refrigerator if you don't disconnect it.

And of course, be sure to disconnect shore power (by the way, shore power, not sure power - I think it is a term borrowed from the boating industry) before you apply the ohmmeter probes.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:45 AM   #6
lester2720

Bill,
Thanks for that information