TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2009, 08:54 PM   #21
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Hmmm....as to the value, I saw a 2001 2720 for sale here for $8500. I thought that was a very good deal. We paid $8900 for our 1997 5 years ago (it was pretty much immaculate), and the TM's have gone up in pricing, not down. The 3023's are worth a bit more than the 2720's, and from the pictures, that one looks pretty clean. Plus, it's fairly difficult to find a clean used TM close by (no matter where you are). That makes them worth more money: the scarcity, the demand, it's just economics. I think the NADA guides, especially lately, are way off. Just try to find a good clean used TM at the values they indicate. It's just about impossible.

You can live with the 14" tires, but check the date code. We're going to try to switch to a load range D tire.

If there was damage from the blowout, you can easily see it. Our first one took a chunk of sheetmetal and foam out from behind the passenger (door) side, but we fixed it with a spray foam patch and some more sheetmetal. The one we had about a month ago took out that sheetmetal, but not much else. If it's on the plumbing side, you'll really need to check to see if anything leaks, and you may not know that without filling up the tanks somewhat. If they've had one blowout, it might be that the tires are older than what is ideal for towing. If you're not sure about the age of the tire, it helps to keep you speed down and the weight light (but this is no guarantee).

Does anyone know if the 2000 models had the rounded wheelwells? From the square shape of the "skirts", the thingeys that cover the wheels, I don't think this one has rounded wheelwells, and you may want to do the retrofit. It helps to prevent damage to the interior when you have a blowout. I just searched for the instructions, but the previous links to them have been removed. Does anyone have the instructions that they can provide?

I just found them on another thread:
http://trailmanorowners.com/forum/sh...ication&page=2

They are also in the reference library, along with some pictures (thanks Bill!)

http://trailmanorowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5439
Old 02-14-2009, 09:42 AM   #22
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Checking out the roof air conditioner may be a bit dicey, since the seller's house probably doesn't have a 30-amp RV outlet. I have managed a couple times to start mine on a 20-amp (not 15-amp) circuit, but sometimes it pops the breaker, either immediately or after a minute or two. This does not mean that the air conditioner is bad.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:07 AM   #23
larsdennert

Worse yet he's not viewing it at tthe seller's. I think he said it was a third party in between who may not even be an RV person so he's on his own a bit; except for us helping.
Old 02-14-2009, 12:17 PM   #24
4Kids2Dogs

First off, sounds like there are more to tires than just looking at them. I'd better review the tire section on the forum! And, yeah, we are sorta on our own looking at the trailer. The friend that the sellers left it with does have an RV -- a regular TT, and he is an electrician, so has some knowledge of RVs. The seller is about ready to have a baby - due next week, I believe - so doesn't want to be too far from home. We offered to wait until after they have the baby, but they want to get this done now. Their friend is going to have them on the cell phone while we go through the 3023 and Mr. Seller is going to walk us through it. We are very grateful for all your help and suggestions. We are compiling a list of checks from the replies you have given us and from the technical section of the forum!!
1995 Ford F-150 w/Prodigy BC

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
4Kids2Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 08:07 PM   #25
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

If you can talk to them on the phone they should be able to help you through everything (unless the DW is in labor at that point ).

If the friend has an RV and is an electrician he should be able to help you out too.

Everything on ours worked when we bought it, and is still working now (except the side A/C that we ditched and put in a microwave instead).

Bring along a digital camera and a laptop, and if you have TM questions, maybe you can use the friend's DSL or whatever to connect to the board. No matter when I check the board, there are always people signed in.

GOOD LUCK! I hope you find a good TM. We were so excited when we first saw ours, it was a dream come true.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:11 AM   #26
4Kids2Dogs

Talking We got it!

WOO HOO!
We had a great inspection! The friend of the seller had it set up and charged with water, hooked up to electric...everything went great. We had the list complied from your suggestions, and after all was done our new (to us) TM came home with us last night.
I have no doubt that there will be bugs to iron out, but we are just so excited to actually have our very own TM. Thanks to all of you for your help and advice. We will be online to work out all the kinks and will look forward to visiting with you more.
Thanks, thanks!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-18-2009, 10:02 AM   #27
rumbleweed

Default Propane Tanks

Don't let this impact your decision, but check the propane tanks expiration date. Usually stamped on the top collar. Once certification expires, you need to have them retested, but usually less expensive to replace them. Most places will not fill expired tanks.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:32 AM   #28
4Kids2Dogs

Ah, yes. Back down to earth. Guess I'd better get over the initial excitement and focus on matters at hand. Good advice. I will check the tanks before I fill them. Especially before we plan a trip and then are unable to fill our tanks. That one goes on the list!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-18-2009, 11:31 AM   #29
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Also, check the date code on the battery and tires. If either are original, being 9-10 years old, just replace them, especially the tires, even if they look fine. In fact, if the tires are more than 4-5 years old, the group wisdom here (including myself) says to replace them. Otherwise, a blow-out is only a matter of time -- I've had one, and they always seem to happen at the worst possible time....dark, rain, freeway, everyone is hungry, etc.....you get the idea.

Details on how to check the date code of the tires:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=11

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 11:41 AM   #30
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Congratulations!