TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-25-2008, 01:39 PM   #1
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

Default Hot Water on Both Electric & Gas

Has anyone noticed a difference in the recovery time when running the hot water heater on "gas only" vs "both" (gas & electric)?

I've always used gas only until very recently when I finally found the ON electric button (duh!!!). (It only took me 4 years to find it).

First time we used both (electric & gas) and she (DW) ran out of hot water. I've always used gas only and we've never run out of hot water.

Does anyone know why, or if, there would be a difference?

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
grill-n-go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:57 PM   #2
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by grill-n-go View Post
Has anyone noticed a difference in the recovery time when running the hot water heater on "gas only" vs "both" (gas & electric)?

I've always used gas only until very recently when I finally found the ON electric button (duh!!!). (It only took me 4 years to find it).

First time we used both (electric & gas) and she (DW) ran out of hot water. I've always used gas only and we've never run out of hot water.

Does anyone know why, or if, there would be a difference?
With both on there is the glass flame and also the electric heating element.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:16 PM   #3
Joseph

Default Power if I got it . . .

I have always ran the water heater on electricity if it was available to save on propane. I have as yet to use both heat sources at the same time. To date I have not ran out of hot water, (in more ways than one... ) no matter what was being used for heat. We usually take " Navy " showers in the TM and so far so good. The water in the TM is so hot, by design I would imagine, that we have to mix in a fair amount of cold for normal use. Curious problem. Let us know what you find?

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2008, 05:29 PM   #4
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

I suspect gas is a much quicker recovery. Next time I'll try electric only and see what happens. I'm thinking that the gas and electric may have different set points prompting one to kick on before the other, or overiding the other. I'll just have to be carefull to experiment on my showers only. I did not get a good response when DW ran out of hot water.. go figure, no sense of adventure.

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
Old 03-25-2008, 05:49 PM   #5
PopBeavers

We never run out of water. Everyone is allowed 1.5 gallons of water to take a slow leisurely shower. More than that and we would run out of water. I only have 40 gallons for 5 people and it has to last 3 or 4 days.

We use about 5 gallons of water per person per day normally. If we conserve I can cut that about in half.

6 gallons of very hot water is plenty for about 6 or 7 people to take showers.

We even take navy showers at home. There is a water shortage almost everywhere these days.

I think the holding tank only holds 35 gallons. When that is full we go home.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:00 PM   #6
grill-n-go
Site Sponsor

Wayne,

With all due respect, I'm former Navy, boy scout, homeless, and more frugal than a cat when it comes to showers. As I stated in my original post, we've "never run out of hot water" before.

A separate thread can be started on what we do to conserve water.

I'd like this thread to stay on subject, which is the performance of the hot water tank on gas vs electric.

'03 2720SL
'07 Tundra 4X4
Old 03-25-2008, 09:04 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Mario & Idie -

The gas and electric heating elements are entirely independent, and so they do have independent set points (whether they are intended to or not). When we have hookups, I always use electricity only, except when I am about to take a shower. Then I flip on the gas switch, just "to help with the recovery". However, I have noticed that if the tank is already hot from electric heat, the gas heater does not come on. Makes sense, right? Why would it, if the water is already hot? And the electric heating element is probably not on either, for the same reason. As hot water is withdrawn and cold water comes in, which one comes on first? I have no idea, but it is an interesting question.

Now I have no idea how any of this could lengthen the recovery time. But I am pretty sure that there is no mysterious connection between the two.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:57 AM   #8
Joseph

Default Bear with me . . .

First of all let me say I have no idea how the gas and electric hot water systems work in the TM. Now, having established my ignorance I can ask a silly question. Are their separate thermostats on / in the tank for the gas and electric heaters? Can they be cross wired in the manufacturing process? I have no idea. But since you stated that you only recently started using the electric part of the tank my curiosity would take me there first. And hopefully not do to me the same that it does for the cat.... Just thinking out loud, sort of.....typing out loud... kinda.... you get the idea...
Old 03-26-2008, 09:40 AM   #9
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by grill-n-go View Post
Wayne,

With all due respect, I'm former Navy, boy scout, homeless, and more frugal than a cat when it comes to showers. As I stated in my original post, we've "never run out of hot water" before.

A separate thread can be started on what we do to conserve water.

I'd like this thread to stay on subject, which is the performance of the hot water tank on gas vs electric.
The point that I was trying to make is that if you want to take a shower like you do at home then running both electric and gas will not provide enough recovery. DS can empty a 40 gallons water heater single handedly with one shower. He know he can not do that at home.

It has been well documented that the water heater will recover faster using both gas and electric than it would by using either one alone. If you want quick recovery, then by all means you should turn them both on. Just be aware that it still will not work like a large water heater at home.

Personally, I have used electric three times, because we dry camp. Normally I just flip the switch on when I pop the TM open and flip the switch off when I fold it down or I run out of water, which ever occurs first.

It is also well documented that it is cheaper to heat the water using gas, if you are billed by a meter for electric, assuming the current going rates for electricity and propane. So if electricity is free, then use electric to save money. Otherwise use propane. Also, every report I have seen indicates that it will heat faster on propane than it will on electric.

This topic comes up from time to time both hear and on the rv.net forums. Search the last 5 years and you will get a lot of reading material.