TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-10-2007, 07:15 PM   #1
HeySue

Default upholstery question

Hi all! My husband just got home with our "new" 1999 3124 KB. This is our first camper and we are taking it to a local campground this weekend. We want to clean the upholstery on the couches and the bed covers. (The couches have the mauve and green floral print; the bed covers have that velour like material on top and vinyl around sides.) Can these be machine washed on delicate and hung out to dry? We really want to get going on the cleaning this evening....of course we're excited! So any speedy advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:24 PM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I tried to wash some of the curtains on delicate (in cold water, and hung out to dry) and they shrank enough so that it was a real pain to put them back up.

You might take the cushions to someone who cleans upholstered furniture (or ask them to come to you). It seems that they can do a very good job of cleaning without risking shrinkage.

Ours were clean when we bought our TM, so I sprayed them well with Scotchguard. It seems to help repel the dirt.

Congratulations on your "new" TM! You'll love having it this summer! We didn't get ours until September and had to wait for a "real" camping trip for a while.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:54 PM   #3
2bcs1jrt

I have a carpet shampooer that has an uppolstery attachment. I brought the cushions in and cleaned them without removing the covers.

Cheri
Old 07-11-2007, 12:23 PM   #4
HeySue

Thanks for the advice everyone. I've been having fun cleaning up the camper when I can today. (I have two young kids so it makes it hard!) But my husband is off tomorrow and both kids are in daycare so we are spending the whole day getting it ready! The camper is in really good shape and we are very happy to have found it! Can't wait for Friday! Oh...and we have a rug cleaner with an upholstery attachment so we will be using that on the couches and mattress covers.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:06 PM   #5
campernurse2012
Site Sponsor

Default Upholstery

I just cleaned ours today with my steam cleaner and let them dry in our Texas sun, turned out great, now I'll apply scotchgard and we'll be ready ! Next project is replacing the carpets with vinyl sheet flooring! Can't wait to get started!!!
Texas
campernurse2012 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:24 PM   #6
G&KEllis

Smile

So we have a 2002 3023 with the Blue interior. we are the 3rd owner so i just preformed an experiment. I just washed my Double bed cover on delicate with cold water and my fancy "Norstrom" bra soap, on delicate. and then I set it out in the nice Tn sun this afternoon to dry. Just put it back on the foam. no shrinkage and smells like lilac bra soap. I'm also a jeep owner and know Vinyl has more flexibility when warm. Hope this helps.
Kate
Old 08-03-2015, 05:43 PM   #7
RogerR

Default did you use a cleaning agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by campernurse2012 View Post
I just cleaned ours today with my steam cleaner and let them dry in our Texas sun, turned out great, now I'll apply scotchgard and we'll be ready ! Next project is replacing the carpets with vinyl sheet flooring! Can't wait to get started!!!
I wondered if you used any kind of cleaning spray, etc. when you cleaned the couch. Mine is brown soft fabric that needs a deep clean but it won't come off the couch.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:31 AM   #8
FujiPedaler

From recommendations on this forum, my wife used "Tuff Stuff" which can be found in the automotive department at Target with great results. She also used it on the seats and the curtains left in place so as not to shrink and it worked great.

$5.00 for a large spray can.
WDH, Rear receiver for bikes,
Hual-a-vator for Kayaks
Norman & Elizabeth
FujiPedaler is offline   Reply With Quote