TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2005, 11:39 AM   #1
Firefly

Question Bike Rack from TrailManor

We were just wondering if anyone has ordered/installed the bike rack that TrailManor offers for sale for about $200???

The guy I spoke with at the factory says it just bolts to the frame.

We're concerned about attaching something to the bumper of the TM since it might compromise towability in some way BUT since TrailManor is selling it..it must be OK right?

Thanks,
Tami
Old 05-15-2005, 08:30 PM   #2
Texasgranny

I did not know that TrailManor is now selling a bike rack, but several years ago, I was told that you SHOULD NEVER use a bike rack on the bumper of a TrailManor because they are computer designed with a certain weight distribution. The bike rack and bikes would ruin that distribution. Since they are now selling a bike rack, I think that I would call the factory and talk to them about this.

1991 2619SL
TV 2003 Chevy Silverado
Old 05-15-2005, 08:52 PM   #3
genesc

Smile Bike Rack from TrailManor

When we ordered our new 2005 3326 TrailManor from TrailManor last fall, we ordered it with a hitch receiver installed on the rear of the TrailManor specifically to carry a bike rack. It is bolted to underside of the frame and with the bike rack attached, it causes no problems when towing.

genesc
Old 05-17-2005, 06:57 AM   #4
Firefly

Thumbs up

Hi guys...

Thanks for the replies!

Texasgranny...you heard the same exact thing I had. I'm going to ask some more questions when I call TrailManor today. I need to order a new license plate holder.

Genesc...I'm glad to hear you have the bike rack and it works great! I'm going to find out if the after market rack is the same thing they put on for you.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:21 AM   #5
Firefly

Talking Spoke with Eddie at TrailManor

I just got off the phone with Eddie in the Service Dept at TrailManor. The people at the factory are just so nice to talk with!

They offer a 2" hitch receiver that bolts on the back of the TM. You have to drill some holes in the frame. I was told this hitch was specially engineered by a TM engineer. He said not to put more than 100 lb. of weight on it. Last year was the first year they offered this hitch.

So I think this will be about $200 after my Trail Blazers discount and then we would have to go buy a bike rack to insert into the hitch.

Sounds like a winner to me!

Tami
Old 05-17-2005, 09:47 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Tami -

Have you considered carrying your bikes on a rack on the liftgate of the Navigator? We have an Allen 103A, a strap-on rack that lets us carry our bikes on the back of our Explorer. We have carried our two bikes at least 10,000 miles - for at least 2000 of those, we actually had three full-size bikes. The rack goes on and off in a hurry - you simply drop two clips into the gap at the top of the tailgate, and tighten a lower strap around the stem of the trailer hitch. When you are not using it, it folds flat and is easy to store, so there are no theft problems. It is not expensive - and it keeps the weight where it belongs. It also keeps you from inadvertently backing your TM too close to a tree or a wall, and bending a couple expensive bicycles! The only drawback is that you can't open the tailgate very far when the bikes are in the rack.

http://www.allenracks.com/products/trunk/103a.html

There is a better picture of how one of these fits on an SUV at
http://www.allenracks.com/products/trunk/143a.html

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 11:57 AM   #7
srscmh

Default Bike Rack

I have just installed an Acer two bike rack on the the rear bumper of my 2003 2619. It was a bit of pain to install because I had to drill through the aluminum cover to the trunk and then actually cut the aluminum cover into three pieces so the center section could still be lifted up. But it works, the bikes fit in very snugly. I have also rigged two lines from the stabilizer hooks (which I don't use) near the hitch. They go up ove the top of the Trailmanor and provide a place to attach the straps which are tiledto the biles for added safety.

Don in Columbus, OH
Old 05-17-2005, 01:06 PM   #8
Firefly

Red face

Thanks Bill...

I will show this type of bike to Garry!

Also..hello to Don..a fellow Buckeye! Thanks for sharing your bike rack experience also! It sounds like you found a system that really works for you.

Carrying our bikes (3) has always been a hassle for us. We either have them in the back of the Navi or in the TM. We need a better solution!

Tami
Old 05-17-2005, 08:00 PM   #9
Factor

Default Bike Rack From TM

I'm confused - our 3023 has a receptable for a bike rack at the rear. It looks the same as the hitch on the vehicle except it says not to exceed 100 lbs. Are you talking about a bike rack that fits this hitch? Is this what TM sells?
John Atikokan, Ontario (the canoeing capital of Canada)
2004 TM 302
2003 Montana AWD with Tranny Cooler
Old 05-18-2005, 05:29 AM   #10
Firefly

Red face

Hi Factor...

TrailManor sells the "receptacle" that accepts a bike rack. We would have to attach the receptacle part to the TM by drilling holes in the TM frame (underneath) and bolting that part to our TM. Then we would go buy a bike rack that fits into that 2" hitch receptacle. TrailManor does not sell (to my knowledge) a bike rack. Sorry for the confusion.

Tami