TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2008, 10:23 AM   #11
Al-n-Sue

Thanks for the insight - I'll be by a stereo shop tomorrow to pick up the cable. I'll ask about the radio removal tools while I'm there!
Old 07-15-2008, 11:28 AM   #12
wmtire

Taking Hal's advice, I was also able to get to everything on the back of my radio, by removing the refrigerator vent cover from the outside of the trailer. All I had to do then was unscrew 1 screw that was holding a piece of paneling with insulation on top of the fridge. I pulled the folded-over insulation and paneling piece out of my way.

I was then able to secure the backside of the radio (so it wouldn't bounce/break while driving), run rca cables, and a new coax this way.

Placed the insulation and paneling back after finishing the work, and all is good.
Old 08-17-2008, 08:11 PM   #13
Al-n-Sue

Default Closing the loop on my iPOD install

Following many of the suggestions here, I was able to get my radio out and install the new cable. I used the access from the upper fridge vent panel, and found it just as described in another post. To pull the receiver out of it's DIN mounting I had to manufacture some DIN removal tools out of an old pair of electronic tweezers, but they worked. Once I got all the wires spliced in I had problems getting the radio to recognize the new cable. I also broke the fuse holder which was part of a very small gauge wire. I had significant problems finding a replacement holder that would fit the fuse, since the fuse was an automotive size fuse, and most electronic fuses are smaller (1/4 " vs 5 mm). I finally just replaced the whole holder and fuse with a standard one from Radio Shack - keeping the fuse size the same - 2 amps. I could not get the radio to go to the auxiliary position, so I finally sent an email to the company that manufactured the cable. They were very responsive and gave me an answer in a 2 days. After searching the users guide I found the instructions needed buried in a remote part of the manual. Finally today I was able to follow those instructions and got the cable to work.

I ran the cable through the access hole for the phone line - which I discovered was not even connected. I hope to come up with a cleaner install, but for now, the iPOD cable comes through the phone access hole and I just mounted the cover plate back over it. Not pretty but it works.

Ultimately, I'd like to take advantage of the Sirius satellite radio receiver, but since the Sirius and the iPOD cable plug into the same recepticle on the radio, I'll have to have a new radio before I can do that. Maybe a project for next year.

Thanks for the suggestions here - they were all helpful and gave me good direction.
Alan