TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-06-2005, 01:21 PM   #1
ourworld

Default Radio Installation?

We have installed our radio but are having difficulty keeping it from sliding out of the slot above the frigerator when we're pulling trailer down the road. Does anyone have a solution for securely fastening the radio (but still be able to remove it for servicing)? Or what the month and year of the article in Trailer Life that discussed this topic? Thanks.

Bob
Old 02-06-2005, 02:49 PM   #2
rtcassel
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourworld
Or what the month and year of the article in Trailer Life that discussed this topic?
December 2003
Equal-i-zer 1000, Prodigy, McKesh, UnderCover
rtcassel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 02:59 PM   #3
hal

Bob, many radios have a small bolt sticking out the rear. If you were to attach a piece of strap metal, the type that has holes in it every inch or so), you can attach this to the bolt and then using a screw, attach the other end to the bottom side of the counter. You will need to do this by removing the top grille on the outside of the trailer. To service the radio, you will need to unattach the screw end of the bracket. At the same time, you shouldn't find your radio on the floor. I have never serviced my radio so this is not a problem with me.

Hal
Old 02-06-2005, 03:02 PM   #4
hal

ps Bob, Hal again.

Most likely, when you bought your radio, you also received a sleeve which re-formats or reframes the hole cut in the top of the refer. Install this first, before inserting the radio. Then bend the small tabs on the inner side of this frame so that the frame will not slide out.

Hal
Old 02-06-2005, 05:25 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Hal's first answer is way too complicated. He hit it on the nose on his second answer. The thin sheet-metal sleeve is called a "DIN sleeve", and it should have come with your radio when you bought it. You put it in the opening, flush with the front panel of the cabinet, and screw it in place in the edges of the opening. Then your radio slides into the DIN sleeve and latches with little spring latches. To get the radio out, you should have gotten a pair of "DIN tools" with the radio. Most often, each of these is in the form of a metal rod, bent into a U-shape, with a notch on each end. I have also seen flat sheet metal removal tools.

More discussion at http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...read.php?t=427

A good source of general info like this is http://www.crutchfield.com

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:16 AM   #6
Fumby65

Can anyone tell me if the 1996 Trailmanors also have this wiring on top of the frig?
Old 06-30-2008, 12:32 PM   #7
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumby65 View Post
Can anyone tell me if the 1996 Trailmanors also have this wiring on top of the frig?
If the TM has speakers mounted in the end panels of the front overhead cabinet then the wiring exists.

Mike

2013 Jayco Eagle Premier 351RLTS 5er - Honda 2000i x2 w ext. run tank

2017 F350 King Ranch ultimate CCLB SRW 6.7L V8 TD Fx4 BakFlip F1 & BakBox

TM History: '97 2720, '02 2720SL, '03 2720SL, '04 3326K. 2001 - 2012 yrs owned.

1990 Isuzu Trooper II 283 V6
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:23 AM   #8
Al-n-Sue

Question Radio upgrade - adding MP3 connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
To get the radio out, you should have gotten a pair of "DIN tools" with the radio. Most often, each of these is in the form of a metal rod, bent into a U-shape, with a notch on each end. I have also seen flat sheet metal removal tools.

Bill
The radio that a previous owner installed in our 3124KB has a plug (IP-bus for auxiliary input adapter) on the back that will accept a multi-disk player - or a cable that allows external inputs including an MP3/iPOD or RCA plugs. Which is what I want to install, so I can listen to my iPOD through the radio. It will also allow me to connect a TV with RCA plugs to the radio.
My question is how do I get to the back of the radio? The tool referenced in the owners guide (which I got with the TM) indicated a flat "pick" that is used to pull the radio from the DIN sleeve. It is nothing like the "DIN Tools" shown at crutchfield.com (the U-shape tools mentioned by Bill). Unfortunately, the removal tool was not inlcuded when we bought the trailer.
Is it possible to remove the counter top over the fridge to access the radio from the top? Or can it easily be accessed from the outside panel as mentioned by Hal? I'm hoping to do this on our next camping trip, so I need to be sure I have all the tools on hand.
BTW, the radio is a Pioneer Super Tuner III, model DEH-3500.
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Alan
Old 07-15-2008, 08:42 AM   #9
jpcoll01

hit up your local stereo shop (not walmart, an actual car stereo shop) they will have approximately 400 pairs of the thin flat tools that you need, can't imagine they would charge you more than a couple bucks. These make the stereo slide out very easily and will stop you from breaking something trying to force it. If this fails, 2 very skinny flat head screwdrivers can be wedged into the pioneer head units and pull them out but it's not as clean as the actual tools.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:21 AM   #10
Scott O

Dang, now I know what that funny little tool that came with my radio is...hope I didn't throw it out!!! I am always amazed at the range of stuff I learn on this forum...