TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2022, 09:00 PM   #1
mikegascon1

Default New batteries

I just purchased a used, 2007 3124. I am going to assume the battery needs some help. I believe it has Sat, nearly dead for a while.
I am trying to read the differences on types of batteries. I have read positive things about gold cart batteries. If they are so good, why don't more people run them? Maybe people are and I just don't know ow it.

I will be adding solar in the future. I do t believe that changes the type of battery to get now, does it?
Any suggestions on what type or brand to get? Lead acid? Gold cart? Others? I assume buying local is best because shipping would probably be pretty high.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2022, 09:37 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegascon1 View Post
I just purchased a used, 2007 3124. I am going to assume the battery needs some help. I believe it has Sat, nearly dead for a while.
I am trying to read the differences on types of batteries. I have read positive things about gold cart batteries. If they are so good, why don't more people run them? Maybe people are and I just don't know ow it.

I will be adding solar in the future. I do t believe that changes the type of battery to get now, does it?
Any suggestions on what type or brand to get? Lead acid? Gold cart? Others? I assume buying local is best because shipping would probably be pretty high.

I have been running 6V deep cycle golf cart batteries for many years. My preferred brand is Trojan T105 or T125. There are newer tech batteries but they are pricey.

I once made the mistake of buying Interstate 6V batteries from Costco. Never again.
Old 03-19-2022, 05:03 PM   #3
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default Yes shipping costs are high.

If you add your location into your signature, I can advise of possible Trojan sellers within your range. For west coast States and Denver, CO, the following seller is a great source for Trojan batteries: https://www.onlinebatterysale.com/sh...and-locations/

Truck freight is typically about $150 - a low cost if you're buying six batteries, but a very high cost if you're buying only 2.With freight included, this site ships two T105s to anywhere continental USA for a bit under $500.
- - -
Traditional T105s are not sealed batteries, and you must be careful to maintain the water levels and not overcharge them. Being lead-acid, you must also avoid leaving them under-charged for extended periods (and the OEM "WFCO" power converter will leave at low-state-of-charge.In storage, a decent battery maintainer can make up for the WFCO deficiencies.

Wavery can advise you of his charging equipment, discharge habits, and expected lifespan.(My own previous lead-acid batteries were crap, not Trojan or Crown batteries).
- - -
Per another Thread, I would just bite the bullet and install a '230Ah' LFP battery pack instead. If you stay with the more-or-less defective WFCO power converter board, you can just set the DP switches as if you have "AGM batteries", and it will do OK. I recommend an upgrade into the Wildkat MBA unit, or the Victron equivalent charger with the BT add-on for configuring it. Either can fit inside the WFCO panel lower box).

LFP costs more. 4 cells (with posts, nuts, and 4 inadequate "bus bars" included) costs $444 from a good USA supplier. A 200A JDB BMS (better than my Daly) costs another $125. You can fix the busbar problem by simply buying 2 feet of 1/8 x 1" aluminum bar, cutting and drilling it to fit as additional bus bar segments, or you can ask the seller to supply two more (total 6) so that you can stack their thin ones as a pair. That is EVERTHING you need to build an uncompressed battery pack. If you desire to stay with the WFCO charger in the TM, you will need a separate LFP charger (14.6V) for about $40 more; it might be cheaper via Alibaba.

Compressed (which might increasing lifespan from 7-12 years, up to 12-16 depending on your charging and discharging habits) adds roughly $80 more, plus considerable time. 8" x 9" Steel compression plates , cut to size and delivered, cost about $30. The compression springs (which need to provide fairly 'linear' compression in excess of 150 lbs each, before bottoming out) will cost the maybe surprising sum of $40 or so. The other $10 is just 3/8 threaded rod from the local big box store, with nuts and a few washers.
- - -
Uncompressed, as in this picture, costs $580 without the charger. (I'll be compressing after my compression plates arrive). Instead of a "225Ah" lead-acid battery, where you can use maybe 60% of it on a regular basis without shortening lifespan, you would have a slightly bigger battery (higher Ah and higher voltage) where you can use up to 80% of the capacity every single time and still end up with more than 2x the lifespan - increasing to 5x the lifespan with compression, and with a decent charger/power converter replacing the WFCO main board assembly, at a cost around $900.

When you've got the bench charger and WFCO MBA replacement already purchased, no don't need to buy them again when add another battery. The second one costs either $580 or $660.

I will never go back to lead acid batteries. Attached is the photo of my new one, charging up (not yet compressed) from the battery charger I already own.
For only 25% more money (no charger, no compression) than a "shipped" pair of Trojan or Crown Golf Cart batteries, you get a battery which lasts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eve-230-uncompressed-with-bad-bus-bars.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	343.4 KB
ID:	20639  
Old 03-20-2022, 11:22 AM   #4
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29 View Post

Truck freight is typically about $150 - a low cost if you're buying six batteries, but a very high cost if you're buying only 2.With freight included, this site ships two T105s to anywhere continental USA for a bit under $500.
- - -
As you mention, it would be good to know what area the OP is located.

In SoCal, there are many dealers and I used to buy (last year) T105s for under $100 each. I priced them last month and they were $160 each.

It would be simple enough to got to the Trojan website and find a dealer.
Old 03-20-2022, 01:38 PM   #5
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Default That seller has a warehouse in Portland

for local pickup of T105 "plus" @ $171 each.
https://www.onlinebatterysale.com/pr...cycle-flooded/
Old 03-20-2022, 02:14 PM   #6
mikegascon1

I am located close to Portland, OR. Technically, I am in Vancouver, Washington.

Old 03-21-2022, 11:56 AM   #7
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

I paid $170.00 in December for Trojan 105's
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Kmikesell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 08:20 AM   #8
JimLilly

Hey Mike I've been using two 6 volt golf cart batteries for years also with good results. The longest we've camped off grid is about 7 days and had power the entire time. I do have 200 watts of solar on the roof of the TM. Changed all lights out to LEDs. Run hot water and fridge on propane.
JimLilly is offline   Reply With Quote