TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-13-2004, 01:57 PM   #1
G-V_Driver
Site Sponsor

Default WASPS ! !

As I walked toward the TM in the driveway yesterday, I saw a red wasp fly into the rectangular tubing that supports the slide out sofa. So I got the wasp bomb and gave it a good dose. 9 wasps emerged. Three survived and six fell victim to the spray. Wondering if some steel wool or other obstructing material might not be a good idea to deprive them of a home. Wouldn't want to find out they had taken up residence when I moved the trailer during setup or takedown.

Anybody else seen such critters?
G-V_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 02:27 PM   #2
EPICSDUDE

Default Re:WASPS ! !

Yes! I have a big problem with red wasps and the dirt daubers. I have covered every opening I could find on my TM. I have placed screen wire behind the refrig vents, both upper and lower. I have taped the square hole in the rear bumper where the sewer hose goes with a piece of duct tape. I have caulked any other openings I could find except the one one mentioned under the bed. How could I overlook that?

Also, you need to look under the upper shell, where it meets the lower shell. I have found several wasps nests under there.

A sting from one of those suckers will really ruin your day!!!!!!!

Rocky
Old 07-13-2004, 04:09 PM   #3
Red

Guess I'll be pulling out the caulking and duct tape again. Found a couple of wasp nests in the garage...TM is kept in there!...Thanks for the suggestions!
Red
Old 07-13-2004, 07:51 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I know about mud daubers, but what's a red wasp?

Rather than steel wool (rusts, and reacts with aluminum), I might suggest plastic scrubbies (plastic steel wool). Use scissors to cut off a chunk, and stuff it into the opening. I've used this to deter birds (easy) and squirrels (much tougher) in my camp.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 09:43 PM   #5
EPICSDUDE

Red wasp, is a wasp on steroids!!!!!!! They are very large and pack a wallop when they hit you. Looks like a Mud/Dirt Dauber but bigger!

Rocky
Old 07-14-2004, 07:29 AM   #6
2manypets
Site Sponsor

A few weeks ago we took a weekend trip about 150 miles from home. As I was setting up the TM I started to raise the front stone guard and found two wasp's nests behind it. And they both still had wasp's on them! So I slowly lowered the stone guard. We didn't have any wasp spray in the trailer so the wasps just camped with us that weekend. After the 150 mile ride home they were still there! But this time I was ready for them. A shot of spray here and a shot of spray there. No more wasps. At least for now.

Bob

2manypets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 08:14 AM   #7
G-V_Driver
Site Sponsor

I got stung on the tip of the elbow by a red wasp a few years ago, and it hurt for a month. And I was just taking out trash, posing no threat to the wasp. Heard later that they are more aggressive than some of the other varieties. At the recent family reunion, one of the cousins said to mix a 50-50 solution of water and dawn dishwashing detergent in a spray bottle for use as wasp spray. Said it will "roll them" quicker than the commercial stuff. I'm going to try it. What could be better than debugging and cleaning the trailer with the same squirt?

. . . and I agree with Bill about the plastic scrubbies vs steel wool. Had thought about that but couldn't remember what to call them when I wrote about the varmits.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:10 AM   #8
Windbreaker

G-V, thanks - while cleaning the pool this morning one hit me on the big toe. Did you send those suckers down here just to let me know that we really are all connected?
Old 07-14-2004, 12:19 PM   #9
BobWilson
Site Sponsor

Check out the following website:
http://insects.tamu.edu/fieldguide/cimg348.html

if you want to know more about the insect.
BobWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 12:54 PM   #10
G-V_Driver
Site Sponsor

Interesting info, especially the part about only the females being capable of stinging. After reading that tidbit, I reflected back to my experience taking out the trash and minding my own business when one just flew up and stung me. Mmmmmm. Maybe more research should be conducted to determine if females of other species have similar syndromes