TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2014, 12:57 PM   #11
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Key is for a smooth airflow from the TV to the TM. I also like being able to reach into the luggage spaces from the passenger compartment (though a super or crew cab and a shell could do about the same thing.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:35 PM   #12
Brittany Dogs
TrailManor Master

I'm in a slow research currently on my next tow vehicle. I turn my trucks around generally every five years. I love my current vehicle, the Nissan Pathfinder LE which is rated at 6000 pounds towing, 600 pounds tongue weight.

Sadly, Nissan decided to turn the Pathfinder into a whole different looking crossover or some crossover variant which "features" the CVT transmission. But the downside being, 5000 pounds towing.

I don't wish to start or continue the debate on towing capacity but where I live, with the hills of the Adirondacks, I don't want to consider less capacity than I currently own. The 6000 pounds is what I sort of call plenty of power that is just barely enough. I say much the same about computers. Too much power (or capacity) is just barely enough.

Like Bill seemed to find out, and I agree, it seems there are not a lot of vehicle to choose from for a tow vehicle. I appreciate the buyers of the Ford trucks since there is a very high chance it was made in the USA. However too many GM, Chrysler, Ford models are made or assembled in non-US locations. My Pathfinder is made in Tennessee. Again, let's not get into a debate about this.

The Nissan Armada, the Pathfinder's big brother, has awful reviews. I'm not a pick up truck man because for one reason, when we transport rescue dogs, we want them to have a climate controlled cabin. The Toyota 4 Runner currently lists towing at 4700 pounds although I'm told they are using the "new method of towing calculation" in that figure and well, once more manufacturers start using some new method of calculation, we will see many ratings go down.

Bottom line is, it seems like the affordable larger type SUV's are going away perhaps because it's tough to meet government MPG standards with large SUV's and if you still want one, the $60k luxury SUV's are what you have to consider.
2011, Model 2720SD, 13.5k btu Dometic Low Profile Penguin II with a user installed Easy-Start modification, "Jack" TV Antenna, 15" Goodyear Marathon 225/75R15D Tires on Alloy Wheels, Swing Hitch, Electric Tongue Jack, Front Window (now an option). Powered with a Honda 2000i or 3000 handi (depending on the weather) generator when dry camping. Powered with two 6V Trojan T145 batteries when I need to run silent and deep. TV = 2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab w/ WDH.

Home Port: Western New York.
Brittany Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:25 AM   #13
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Imported from Detroit.

Trailer Tow Group (Optional) Max towing: 6,200 pounds

Like mine except '14: $32k MSRP