TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-14-2014, 05:09 PM   #1
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Default Jeep Grand Cherokee

My tow car is a '12 Jeep GC with towing package. It is rated for 500 lbs tongue weight and 5,000 lbs towing. I have had tow cars since the '70s mostly for cars both race and personal.

My previous tow car (TC ?) was a Pontiac TranSport with a 170 hp 3800 & 4 speed lockup. I close the Jeep for a much higher tow rating, a class IV receiver, and a powertrain I really liked.

6's are a lot different this century, in this case DOHC with VVT i&e 290 hp and 90% of the torque peak from 2,000 to 6,000 rpm. It can also probably run on moonshine (flex fuel). This goes through a five speed lockup trans. It is also the lightest of the GCs at 4475 lbs and over 1,000 lbs lighter than some.

It has no problem with a 3800 lb car on a dolly, I am not expecting a 3,000 lb 2720SL with about the same FA as the Jeep to be any different.

Also being a Floridian most of my towing is at sea level and in flatlands (highest point is said to be a ride at Dizzyland).

So will find out on Friday. Should be interesting. Am really interested to see the effect on MPG since I get 24-25 on the Interstate.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:15 PM   #2
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Sounds like you will be just fine with your GC as your TV, although your tow weight will more likely be closer to 4000 lbs. than to 3000 lbs., but considering the terrain you will be traveling, no worries.

Most owners that tow with marginal tow vehicles do fine, but depending on how much they tow and where they tow, their vehicles just wear out faster (mostly transmissions).

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:27 PM   #3
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

You should be fine.

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:22 PM   #4
MariaG

I agree, should be fine. Although coming from a van to a Jeep, (I went from a Dodge Grand Caravan to a Jeep Grand Cherokee) it's a different 'feel' due to the shorter wheelbase and higher center of gravity. You may have to adjust the way you load. I miss the greater stability of the van, and as soon as I can afford it am thinking about a Buick Enclave or.....?
See my TrailManor Repair blog at:
http://trailmanorrepair.blogspot.com/
MariaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:42 PM   #5
FujiPedaler

I have said this before.

There is what your TV can handle under the best of or normal travel.

What is a very import factor is what happens in abnormal conditions ie emergency situations, is there enough power and stability under these abnormal situations.

I cannot tell you what is right for you but I will say that you must consider all the possibilities that could happen beyond you control and will your TV handle it safely.
WDH, Rear receiver for bikes,
Hual-a-vator for Kayaks
Norman & Elizabeth
FujiPedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:54 PM   #6
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Thank you I appreciate the concern but am more concerned about the four wheel disk brakes than acceleration. My TranSport was more stressed than the Jeep and at 150,000 was shifting fine when I gave it to my bro in law and he keeps saying how good it is.

Besides I can monitor the coolant, oil, and trans temps from the dash. If it starts getting warmer than I like (and I get bothered at 200F) will add more cooling.

Besides if I feel the need for more performance there is a toy with 400hp and a four speed.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:44 PM   #7
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Well '06 TM 2720SL (QS) 5757 is now in my back yard. Jeep had no trouble pulling don't think I ever went over 1/2 throttle but as said I drive gentle when towing.

Was taking it easy at 65-67 mph since was the first time but felt fine in cruise. Downshifted a few times on the hills of Clermont on the Turnpike but went right back to 5th/locked near the crest. Had the a/c on the whole way and the outbound with some traffic showed 20.4 mpg ave. going a bit faster and return (with trailer in tow) 18.5 mpg mostly Interstate and Turnpike with moderate traffic. At 70-75F OAT coolant sat on 201F, oil 186F, and trans 167F about what it normally shows. Lockup really keeps a trans cool.

Just reinforces my thought that the Jeep is the best tow car I have ever owned and the V6 is plenty.
Padgett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:50 AM   #8
Kwantau
Site Sponsor

Quote:
My new 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee has all the following readouts on the digital display under the Engine readout selection.
1. Engine Temp.
2. Engine Oil Temp.
3. Engine Oil Pressure
3. Transmission Oil Temp. ( The most important one when Towing)

During our trip this summer from Calgary to Vancouver Island the tranny temp which runs normally about 77 C ( 170 F) never went over 86 C (187 F) on even the highest mountain passes we crossed, one of which is 1440 meters (4725 feet ) in height. This all without having to add a extra tranny cooler which Chrysler does not recommend. So hats of to Jeep. They have seemed to have done their homework when it came to towing with their vehicles.
Quote is from a previous post. As you can see Padgett I fully agree with you. I used to tow the TM with a Liberty for two years and the only thing with it was that I found wheelbase a little short. As for as power you just had to slow down on the long pull up the mountain passes just like the 18 wheelers.

The GC pulls like a charm with engine temp never getting over 102C on the long haul up the passes. The normal temp is 97 C. Heading out again to Vancouver Island this summer across the Rockies. The GC is a great tow vehicle.

TV 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 6200 lbs tow capacity, 620 lbs tong weight, V6-3.6 liter gas with factory tow package, Prodigie3 Brake Control, Anderson "No-Sway" Weight Distributing Hitch.

TM 2720, 2011, A/C, Awning, Swingtongue, 40 Gal fresh water, Stove and Sink Cupboards, Radio/CD Player, TV ant., Microwave Oven, Electric Tongue Jack, Black Windows and Frame, and Woodgrain Vinyl Flooring
Kwantau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 07:39 AM   #9
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

We use a WDH when using our 05 GC to tow the TM, mostly 'cause the tongue is over 500#.

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:07 AM   #10
Padgett
TrailManor Master

a) Why is your 2720 tongue weight so heavy ? Is your DW named Lucy ? Thought it was under 400 lbs.
b) In my yout I had a '70 VW Westphalia we drove over the Cascades and Rockies. Single port 1600 with a RVEECO cooler on the side. My Vixen is the same: class A vith a 2.4 liter TD & 5 speed manual trans & dual radiators. Just a matter of being patient on the upgrades and never let the revs drop. Jeep has an automagic so no worries. Key here is in keeping the trans in lockup, an unlocked TQ can generate a lot of heat & the slap shift is nice.