TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2014, 05:34 AM   #11
dallen1x

Quote:
I can't imagine it can handle the weight.
It can handle the trailer weight but...
The Edge has a tongue weight limit of 350.
Here's what I found concerning the TMs:
TM 3326 (3520lb / 486)
TM 3225 (3080lb / 470)
TM 3124KD (3185lb / 490)
TM 2417 (2280lb / 320)
So this info on tongue weight is pushing me down into the range of the 2417 model. Sad for me.

Quote:
Wow, that is really not good. Towing 3500 lbs without brakes is not only unsafe, especially in a marginal tow vehicle, but in every state where I've read such regulations, IIRC, it's also illegal.
Oregon has such a law but it is for vehicles over 8000lbs.
The Edge w/3500lb trailer is under that limit. No brakes required. Needed on the trip that I used the Edge for previously?...no. Want them for where I plan on going with the TM?....yes.

You guys would be surprised what the Edge can do.
It's wide, heavy, stable, good on fuel and it's closer to a small truck than you might think.
The 4.7L V8 Tundra (weighing around 5520lbs) has 245hp & 315 lb-ft of torque.
The 3.5L V6 Edge (weighing around 4050) has 285hp & 235 lb-ft of torque.
The 3.4L V6 Odyssey (weighing around 4396) has 248hp & 250 lb-ft of torque.

These cross-overs and minivans are not that far away from todays smaller trucks.

Yes, every TV (be it a 5 ton military truck or a little VW car) that I've driven was either bigger or heavier (or both) than the thing being towed. This isn't my first rodeo. But, I don't want others without experience to get the wrong idea about towing. There are plenty of videos and stories out there concerning accidents when the rigs are not used correctly or some other issue jumps in front of you so please be careful.

By the way, this would be something the DW would be driving so you know it has to be safe.
This whole thing started with the question about how to reduce the weight...
See, I want it to be safer because the longer models that I like are to close to the limits of my TV. But I still want one of them.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:45 AM   #12
lilysvalley

I guess then that you never plan on leaving the state of Oregon with your rig so you can keep legal with no trailer brakes? The class 2 hitch cannot be upgraded on a unibody vehicle, can it? Seems like a bad idea to pull an oversized trailer with an undersized vehicle.

B lily
Old 03-26-2014, 09:02 AM   #13
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

For weight comparison, I had a 2417 Sport with AC, no awning, 2 propane bottles, one battery, 40 gallons of water. I weighed it as I left town for a camping trip, and it was 3,450 lbs.

Any larger TM is going to weigh more than that. The 3124 shows a dry weight of 1185 lbs more than the 2417. Even trying to keep it light, I don't see how you would ever be less than 4200 lbs, and that is without taking any water with you.

I would not tow a TM without trailer brakes. I had a 1200 lb tent trailer that I towed without trailer brakes, and "panic" stops were increased in distance. Triple the weight, and it would not be pretty, ever. I certainly can tell when my trailer brakes are adjusted properly. A huge difference in safety.

From the Oregon DOT site: "Oregon law requires that any vehicle or combination of vehicles weighing less than 8,000 pounds must be able to stop within a travel lane in 25 feet from 20 miles per hour." Combined weight of vehicles, not trailer weight of 8,000 lbs. Big difference!
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:32 AM   #14
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Again, I believe those tongue weights don't include mandatory accessories like batteries and propane tanks, and the added weight of those will be almost entirely added to the tongue weight. So right there, without any gear whatsoever, you're overweight on the tongue alone. Real tongue weights, as measured by folks here, are much higher than 350 lbs.......

California law requires brakes on trailers with a GROSS WEIGHT over 3,000 lbs, so that means all the TMs except the 2400 series are automatically excluded. Can you carry less than 700 lbs in a 2417, including a battery, propane tank, propane, clothes, food, etc. Maybe, but doubtful. LoveToCamp's 2417 was nearly 3,500 lbs. But even if you could, would it be safe? Would you feel silly if you got in an accident with your trailer that has brakes you weren't using?

I have no doubt you will be able to find someone, somewhere, towing a 3,500 lb trailer with a Flex, even with trailer brakes. It doesn't mean it's a good idea, ESPECIALLY when towing in the mountains.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:39 AM   #15
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Thanks for the info LoveToCamp. I knew someone was researching the tow weight laws for electric brakes. I could not imagine towing up to 8k lbs without brakes was legal in OR or and state... If the brake controller is adjusted properly, the trailer is slowing the TV down in direct porportion or as I sometimes do, let the TM slow the TV down. 89A down into Sedona from Flagstaff is one area that came in handy.

3124KB- with propane tanks, batteries, will come in at very close to 500lbs tongue weight.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:03 AM   #16
dallen1x

LoveToCamp, thanks for those numbers.

Quote:
The Edge w/3500lb trailer is under that limit.
Sorry about that. It was late and what I typed came out wrong. I thought the above sentence implied that the 8k was for the tower & towed combined.

Quote:
I guess then that you never plan on leaving the state of Oregon with your rig so you can keep legal with no trailer brakes?
Nope...not leaving. At least with that setup. If we go any further than the state line then we leave the boat at home and tow the camper with the F350.

Quote:
The class 2 hitch cannot be upgraded on a unibody vehicle, can it?
It can, kind of. Ford has the Class III hitch for the Edge that is actually more like a Class II with a 2" opening but hey, they call it a III. Go figure.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:12 AM   #17
dallen1x

Let's start this over.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:26 AM   #18
dallen1x

Hi,
I've owned other tents and campers before and I think I like the Trailmanor.

The problem is that the TM model that I really like is to close to my tow vehicles max.

Is there a way to lighten up the TM...maybe by taking stuff out temporarily and putting them in my second tow vehicle that I use to pull our boat?

Or, is there stuff in the TM that you've found that you can live without and that stuff just takes up space or adds extra weight?
Old 03-26-2014, 11:35 AM   #19
MisterP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallen1x View Post
Hi,
I've owned other tents and campers before and I think I like the Trailmanor.

The problem is that the TM model that I really like is to close to my tow vehicles max.

Is there a way to lighten up the TM...maybe by taking stuff out temporarily and putting them in my second tow vehicle that I use to pull our boat?

Or, is there stuff in the TM that you've found that you can live without and that stuff just takes up space or adds extra weight?
C'mon, seriously? Several people have stated there is no way to reduce the curb weight of larger TMs to meet the requirements of an undersized two vehicle. If one person comes along now and tells you they tow with the vehicle you have apparently already decided to use, that will make it OK?

If your decision is made, then do it. But why keep arguing with those who think its a bad idea? We have no reason to change our opinion to support your beliefs. I use an Expedition to tow our 3326, and wouldn't consider anything with less capacity or power. Wouldn't be safe.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:16 PM   #20
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

I agree with Mister P, maybe you should consider having your wife tow the boat. That way you're taking the risk.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote