TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #11
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailbiker View Post
Does tongue weight include what you might have in the back of your tow vehicle or is it just what is on the ball?
This is a good question, not often asked. It is important to read the towing section of your owner's manual, but I think it is usually just what is on the ball. As others have noted above, this rating is derived from the strength of the hitch assembly itself, including the bolts that attach it to the vehicle frame.

However, there is another number that must not be ignored. This is the weight rating for the rear axle, formally called GAWR-R (gross axle weight rating - rear). It refers to all of the weight carried by the rear axle, including the rear portion of the weight of the vehicle itself, the weight on the hitch ball, the weight of the cargo in the trunk or way-back of the tow vehicle, and a portion of the weight of the passengers. This number is often found on a sticker in the driver's door opening.

And there is a third number that also can come into play. It is the total weight of the entire rig, including the tow vehicle itself, the trailer, all cargo, passengers, gasoline - everything. This number is the Gross Combined Weight Rating, or GCWR.

Of the three, I have found GAWR-R to be the toughest to meet. But I guess the point is that even if you meet the hitch weight spec, which we have concentrated on in this thread, you are not done. We all really need to weigh our rigs, and there are several threads on the topic. Search on CAT SCALE.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #12
trailbiker

Thank Bill

I have a Honda Ridgeline and have not had any problems towing, but i carry a lot in the bed behind and over the rear axle. If the WHD takes some of the weight off the rear axle that would be good. I have not been able to weigh the rear axle fully loaded, but I suspect it is near the GAW. This might be a good reason to buy a WHD regardless of tongue weight.
2 Kayaks, 2 electric bikes
trailbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:42 PM   #13
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Dave -

Your GAWR-R (3245 pounds) is not too different from mine (3400 pounds). You'll need to be careful - I've overloaded mine without much effort.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #14
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
But I guess the point is that even if you meet the hitch weight spec, which we have concentrated on in this thread, you are not done. We all really need to weigh our rigs, and there are several threads on the topic. Search on CAT SCALE.

Bill
I hope to be able to weigh mine once its loaded, but time will be tight.

I will definitely check the sticker on the receiver when I get my Traverse on Saturday. My trailmanor should be delivered Friday night. Being towed here... Cross your fingers it goes without any problems.

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)
Welcome Sophie DOB 1/5/2021
Mini Goldendoodle (who's not so mini)

New to me 2010. 2720SD TrailManor
New to me 2010 Chevy Traverse

Both purchased July 2013

Factory installed 80W solar panel.

New batteries June 30th 2018.
(SLIGC115 Duracell Ultra 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Battery x 2)
New bag seals Sept 2020
Rohent R7 HD 1080P RV Wireless Backup Camera Installed Sept 2020
Bailey'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #15
clown9644

Your right about the rear axle weight and I think I do push it a wee bit, of course the wdh helps push some of that weight to the front and back to the camper but I am very careful about how much goes in the truck. Mostly the generator which I put all the way to the front and some drinking water. I really try to respect those weight limits as much as possible, scares me how I see some folks on the road with the rear bumper real low cause I know they are in line for a disaster!

Dave
Old 07-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #16
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Default What about brake controller

I see so many of you have a Prodigy 3 brake controller.

I pick up my 2010 Chevy Traverse (with factory installed tow package) Saturday morning. Dealer doesn't have the Prodigy and neither does local RV dealer.

Can I install this myself? (I am kind of handy, not great, but not awful) Is it just attaching the box to the vehicle and plugging in the wire?

Also, anyone with a Traverse, do you know if factory installed wiring includes the 7 wires, not just 4? Called RV dealer on installation and they said cost depends on if the wiring already has the 7 wires or just the 4.

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)
Welcome Sophie DOB 1/5/2021
Mini Goldendoodle (who's not so mini)

New to me 2010. 2720SD TrailManor
New to me 2010 Chevy Traverse

Both purchased July 2013

Factory installed 80W solar panel.

New batteries June 30th 2018.
(SLIGC115 Duracell Ultra 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Battery x 2)
New bag seals Sept 2020
Rohent R7 HD 1080P RV Wireless Backup Camera Installed Sept 2020
Bailey'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #17
ferdoh

Try this http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...FY0WMgodMRUAhw It will connect from your vehicle to the harness of a prodigy.
ferdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:48 PM   #18
Redtail Cruiser
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey'sMom View Post
I see so many of you have a Prodigy 3 brake controller.

I pick up my 2010 Chevy Traverse (with factory installed tow package) Saturday morning. Dealer doesn't have the Prodigy and neither does local RV dealer.

Can I install this myself? (I am kind of handy, not great, but not awful) Is it just attaching the box to the vehicle and plugging in the wires.
Hey Sara,

If you purchase a Prodigy, they come with the adaptor plug in for your vehicle. When you order it, just order the catalog # for your Traverse. If your Traverse has a factory tow pkg., there should be a plug in right under the dash for your brake controller. I just screwed the bracket to the bottom of my dash and plugged in the controller. Installation only took about ten minutes. Then follow instructions for dialing it in.

"A man creates his own legacy. Create a legendary life"
Redtail Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #19
MisterP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferdoh View Post
Try this http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...FY0WMgodMRUAhw It will connect from your vehicle to the harness of a prodigy.
The harness you show has to be hard wired. Etrailer shows the plugin harness for a 2010 Chevy Traverse to be http://www.etrailer.com/p-3026-P.html
Old 07-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #20
MisterP

BaileysMom - if you buy the harness from Etrailer you can shop the P3 price a bit. I see that Etrailer sells the P3/harness combo for $160 with free shipping. Prodigy P3 controller and harness for 2010 Traverse

I think Amazon had my P3 a bit cheaper, the key is to make sure you get the right plugin harness, the controller is the same for all vehicles.

The instructions tell you this but keep in mind the Prodigy does not have to be level to the ground to work properly. In my Ford I have it mounted at about a 45 degree angle above the parking brake release. The key is that it needs to be straight in the direction of travel, so wherever you mount it, it should face straight forward. It's a pretty easy install with a plug in harness. Use a few cable ties to secure the harness under your dash so it won't interfere with the pedals.

Tags
wdh