TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
Beak12

Default How to quote another post?

I use my computer everyday. But I really don't know just what I'm doing. I noticed that when someone posts something and another person want to respond and (quote) someone often time the whole post is highlighted in a light blue color. But sometimes someone just wants to (quote) just a portion of the question/statement.

So now the real question HOW DO YOU (QUOTE) JUST A PORTION OF SOMEONES POST? Thanks,
Old 09-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
gmferg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beak12 View Post
So now the real question HOW DO YOU (QUOTE) JUST A PORTION OF SOMEONES POST? Thanks,
Select quote and you will see the entire post with "QUOTE=...] contents of post [/QUOTE"

Everything between the two quote commands will appear in quotes. Erase what you don't want and leave the rest. Do not erase any part of the two quote commands. I left out the leading and trailing brackets so it would not convert to quote.
Mods: Kumho 875 205/R14s, Shower curtain & Oxygenics, Sewer hose stow, Prop reg on top, (2) Trojan 27TMs w/1+2 switch, Marinco A/C plug, RVS backup cam, Honda EU2000i & companion w/extended run tank.
gmferg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
Beak12

[/QUOTE I left out the leading and trailing brackets so it would not convert to quote.[/QUOTE]

This is a test to see If I did it right.

I think I got it! Thanks

Well perhaps not quite---All the other posts I looked at that folks have quoted all are in blue. As you can see I have a partial quote but it's not in blue.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #4
Digger

I'm not good at explaining things but I'll try. Drag your mouse over the text you want to quote then right click on it to copy. Go to "post reply" and right click to paste quote on page. Drag your mouse over the text again to highlight it. On top of the message box is a bunch of icons, select the fourth one from the right " wrap[QUOTE] tabs around selected text" and click on it. Finish by typing in your message.
You can check if you did it right by clicking "perview post" at the bottom of the page.

Ed
Old 09-24-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

[/QUOTE I left out the leading and trailing brackets so it would not convert to quote.[/QUOTE]

You need to have the end brackets around each beginning and end "quote" and the / in the end is the code to end the quote.

{QUOTE} I left out the leading and trailing brackets so it would not convert to quote. {/QUOTE}

Substitute the brackets instead of the { & }'s above and it should work. I tried to post it using the brackets but it posted as a quote .
Old 09-25-2012, 07:20 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Just as a matter of internet etiquette, let me add two things.

First, it is seldom necessary to quote someone's entire post. As Beak12 suggested, quoting just the part you are going to address makes the follow-up clearer and easier to read. This especially suggests editing out big embedded pictures.

Second, if your response immediately follows the post you are answering, it may not be necessary to quote at all, since the thread of the thought hasn't been broken. It is just like an oral conversation among multiple people. If Fred said something five minutes ago and the conversation has drifted, you might start with "Fred, a minute ago you said ...". But if he just spoke, you don't have to repeat everything he said before you reply.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #7
PopBeavers

back in the days when we were using UseNet newsgroups instead of data base forums it was common to indicate when a chunk of a quoted post had been removed The most common technique was:

<snip>

I still do this sometimes.

When the post I am quoting is small I typically quote it all.

If most of the post is pertinent to the point I am trying to make then I will typically quote it all, unless it is extremely long.

When it is both long and there are multiple topics then tat is when I start snipping.

Sometimes it is better to write several small posts than one big one. This makes it easier to quote.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #8
Beak12

Thanks everyone I think I have it down now.