TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
MiniMe

Default Waterproofing a Trail Mini bathroom?

I have the Trail Mini 18L. I know most owners have the larger ones, but if anyone has any info or input on possibly applying some kind of waterproofing product to the interior walls of the wet bath please let me know. The bath is tiny and once you close the shower curtain on all four sides, it sticks to you. Plus, there is only one holder for the sprayer and it's down below waist level. So my goal is to waterproof the door and mirror walls so I only need the curtain over the toilet and sink plus add an additional sprayer holder above the mirror. Thanks!
Old 04-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
TM_Matt

I haven't done anything like that but this is the best I've seen: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=12718

Do a search for hands free shower and you'll see great mods to hold the handle in a human position.

Get an Oxygenics Body Spa while you're at it and you'll be set!
Old 04-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

A lot of us have done the clear plastic over the wallpaper in the bathroom. We just use the industrial self stick velcro and stick the sticky side down to the top edge of the bathroom walls around the tub (where you can't see it). Position the matching piece to the clear vinyl or vinyl shower curtain. I have used the 3M little sticky tab things for the back wall by my window to cover that area. They have a pull tab and remove cleanly and easily with no residue! That way we protect the walls and eliminate one of the cloth clingy shower curtains.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:22 PM   #4
MiniMe

Thanks for the replies! Unfortunately, since the Trail Mini bath is a wet bath and different than the larger models that have a separate shower stall (dry bath), putting up a vinyl curtain in a Mini will involve a bit more planning because the door is one of the shower walls. I would have to remove the vinyl to fold the trailer, making a separate panel for the door with a flange at the bottom to guide water back into the shower pan (the vinyl can't hang down into the pan because it would get caught every time I shut the door).

If I find a solution, I will post.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:08 AM   #5
Joseph

Talking Shocking experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMe View Post
It is supposed to have a wetbath, but all the walls are particleboard with a veneer.
Particle board? Isn't that the glue and wood ship product that when it gets wet kind of goes to pieces? have not seen a 18 mini. I had hoped that the product was of good quality and perhaps be one that could help the company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMe View Post
Of course, since the toilet is electric and there's a plug below the sink those have to be covered. And please put the sprayer holder higher up!
The toilet should be 12 volts DC. No worry there. But the 120 volt AC in a wet area that could be sprayed with water? That sounds not too bright.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:09 AM   #6
rjlwork

Our trailmini has a shower curtain that goes all the way around the enclosure. Some water gets on the "mirror" wall where I have my shower head mounted in a suction cup holder. Otherwise, everything stays fairly dry. I use the toilet seat to hold the shampoo and soap while showering. If you don't want that to get wet either, you can drape the shower curtain over the seat too. Just my 2 cents!

Ps. When we're not showering in the mini, I stack the curtains together and wrap them over the towelbar to keep them out of the way. Keeps them cleaner too when closing down (don't end up on the porch).
Old 04-23-2012, 06:14 AM   #7
rjlwork

The other thing I do is to leave the bathroom door open to have a little more elbow room. It also helps to get some airflow in there and then the curtain doesn't seem to get "sticky". If it's hot outside, I also use the ac when showering. Just be sure to lock the entrance door or someone might get a real show!
Old 04-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
MiniMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
Particle board? Isn't that the glue and wood ship product that when it gets wet kind of goes to pieces?
It's the same walls that's in all the TM models. Has that tannish colored wallpaper or whatever on it. The walls don't feel heavy enough to be MDF and since I've seen particle board elsewhere on the trailer, I'm assuming they used it everywhere but the cabinet doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
The toilet should be 12 volts DC. No worry there. But the 120 volt AC in a wet area that could be sprayed with water? That sounds not too bright.
Yep, not great thinking here. If you look at photos like this here of a 19RD, which is the same bath as the 18L (scroll down a bit to see bath): http://customrvsales.com/customrvinc-kzrv_035.htm you can see where the outlet is....right under the sink and it's NOT even GFCI. I plan on seeing if I can put one of those exterior outlet covers on it.

I think I'm going to try the vinyl curtain with mesh pockets for now, but I'm still going to investigate a more permanent solution like maybe applying a rubber coating or membrane to the 2 walls?
Old 04-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Quote:
it's NOT even GFCI
If it's not a GFCI then is should be wired to a GFCI breaker.

Tim
Old 04-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I've not seen one of the minis. But if the walls are the same hardboard as is used in the full-size TMs, I have to believe that a waterproof shower curtain is intended to be used, just as it is in the full-size TMs. In other words, there is no expectation that a full-size TM would not have a shower curtain in the shower, and it wouldn't be expected in the mini, either.

Looking at the location of the AC outlet shown in the picture, I have to believe that a waterproof shower curtain is intended to be used there, too. Your initial post suggests that a four sided shower curtain was indeed supplied as standard equipment. You feel that it makes the space too small, and I can imagine that is true. But if you remove the shower curtain that came with the unit, you can't then complain about an exposed AC outlet.

As far as the photo from Custom RV is concerned, I bet the curtain was removed to "clean up" the photo.

Again, remember, I haven't seen one. But an AC outlet positioned in the wet part of the shower, with no protection, would be beyond dumb. And whatever else you may think, the TM engineers are not dumb.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote