TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
Brittany Dogs
TrailManor Master

Default Hanger Bar

Our 2720SD was not 10 minutes old before we removed the wardrobe cabinet. It just was something my wife wanted out of there right away to make room for the three "flip-lid" boxes we place on the counter top by the bed. One clothes box for me, one for her and one box of food. If we have an extended stay, there are two flip-lid boxes for food that we stack on top of each other and we then have the do the "food-box-shuffle". It's just the way we do our camping especially since it is difficult for us to open the TM to load items before departure. So we don't store our food in the trailer cabinets.

Anyway we didn't have a good spot to hang light coats like a rain slicker or even the towels after they dried on the towel rack. Such items were getting in the way.

So I went to the hardware store and purchased a grip bar, something a little more beefy than a towel bar. Another advantage of using a grip bar is that grip bars tend to have more mounting holes to add strength. Towel bars usually have one or two screw mounting holes per side. The grip bar had three per side. I purchased 3/4" stainless steel pan head sheet metal screws in the largest thread size I could find and mounted the bar upside down as in the photo. Now I have a place to nicely store hanger type clothes and towels when I'm not taking a shower.

Works great! One very minor disadvantage is that since the ceiling is sloped a bit, items on the bar tend to slide to the street side wall of the trailer. But that is a minor problem. I am also not tall enough for this bar to cause problems when I use the shower.

I measured a spot on the ceiling to make sure to clear the board to the left of the kitchen sink when the top comes down. In my case I mounted the bar a little too much center of the shower area and the coats tend to get in the way just a bit when using the toilet (for us men) . If I had to do it all over again, I would move the bar back 2 or 3 more inches to the rear of the trailer.

Basically, whatever is on the ceiling will be 4 feet moved to the center of the trailer when you put the halves down. Keep that in mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hanger Bar.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	246.6 KB
ID:	6374  
2011, Model 2720SD, 13.5k btu Dometic Low Profile Penguin II with a user installed Easy-Start modification, "Jack" TV Antenna, 15" Goodyear Marathon 225/75R15D Tires on Alloy Wheels, Swing Hitch, Electric Tongue Jack, Front Window (now an option). Powered with a Honda 2000i or 3000 handi (depending on the weather) generator when dry camping. Powered with two 6V Trojan T145 batteries when I need to run silent and deep. TV = 2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab w/ WDH.

Home Port: Western New York.
Brittany Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
PopBeavers

We find the existing closet to be very useful as it is. We have it fully loaded with hanging clothes. Mainly so we do not have to find space somewhere else.

I usually put one pair of slacks on a hanger and then two shirts over that. This allows me to put more clothes in the closet. Anything with a shorter bar would not work at all.

I installed a single lever faucet in the kitchen. I accidentally left it up once while closing the TM. I now know the exact spot in the roof of the rear shell that is over the faucet lever when the TM is closed.

We only camp for 3 or 4 days. So I currently do not need a larger closet or an additional hanger bar.

But do what works for you. Yours is a novel idea. One that I do not recall reading about here, and I read almost every post daily since February 2005.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

That's a great idea. We too removed the wardrobe very quickly, for much the same reason as you did. I'll have to check out locations for an overhead bar!
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

We removed ours for our last camping trip with the hope of cooling the sleeping area while camping for an archery tournament this month in the Ocala National Forest. We found we like it much better without the cabinet.

f we need to hang items we still have the HUGE closet under the bed.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coat hanger, wardrobe cabinet