TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2002, 09:17 AM   #1
DancinCampers

Default Rear AC Ductwork

Good day all,

Our TM has a roof mounted AC unit (Emerson) located over the bed in the rear.

I have installed ductwork to move some of the AC air to the front of our TM.  I used foam attic rafter vent.  I snapped it in two to get two pieces, each about 4 feet long.  Attached it to the ceiling with velcro tabs.  It is lightweight, & can be left in place when the TM is closed.

With both pieces installed it almost reaches to the front end of the rear clamshell.  

The material I purchased happened to be beige in color, so matches the interior fairly well.

Our AC has four output vents, I closed two of them, 1 facing back & 1 facing front.  The foam channel is snug up against the front facing air vent.  I had to trim it to contour the AC unit, & also trim it around the ceiling light fixture in the hall in front of the bathroom.

It does push a considerable amount of air forward to the living area.  Will have to wait till next summer to see how well it does in hot weather.

Take care.
Dan

Old 10-10-2002, 01:27 AM   #2
arknoah

Default Re: Rear AC Ductwork

Definitely something to think about, as during those hot days, you either feel lots of humidity up front, or freeze in the back bed area!

Old 10-11-2002, 10:48 PM   #3
KB7OUR

This comment won't solve any rear-air cooling problems, but I have to wonder why TM ever chose this location to begin with. Doesn't make sense to me, but then hindsight is usually 20/20 as they have improved on many many things from owner suggestions. This is great to see. I guess if you wanted to go to the expense, you could install a second air up front and upgrade the torsion bars there, rather than relocate the back unit and have to patch the opening. Kind of a unique problem. Front air is the way to go, but if not practical then the duct work DancinCampers installed seems like the best alternative.

Wade
Old 10-16-2002, 09:15 AM   #4
arknoah

You're right, Wade.  I didn't really think about it at first, but the first time I turned on the air, it seemed odd that it was so far back into the unit, and it obviously compromises the air circulation.  

Perhaps Trailmanor was concerned about the weight on the front half for some reason....
Old 10-17-2002, 10:28 AM   #5
Happytrails

I have the side AC so really don't know, but perhaps it's located where it is because of how far down it comes into the camper when it's installed, they now have surface mount ones that don't do that out there, but dunno if that's what TM uses. For those with the roof AC, does the AC unit come down "into" the TM? If so, that's the reason they located it on the rear shell where it wouldn't matter quite as much. (It can sink down into the bed as opposed to the rear shell roof). Just a thought......

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.......[/glow]
Old 10-17-2002, 11:14 AM   #6
KB7OUR

Our '02 2720SL had the flush mount front foor air, which worked terrific here in AZ. All the newer models have the air installed in this manner. Unsure what year they started doing this.

Wade