TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2014, 07:21 AM   #31
Padgett
TrailManor Master

The 3023 appears to have a 5k axle and tires. My 2720 has a 3.5k axle (confirmed by Dexter) and even though I have upgraded the wheels and tires it is still near the limit if not overloaded. For that reason I am not willing to transfer any tongue weight back to the trailer. I suspect most popular TMs have a similar limitation.

Second, the airlifts do not change the load on the rear axle, that is fixed. What they do is transfer some of the load off the springs and reduce squat and nose lift. If the axle/tires are not rated for the load, you have a different problem.

Bottom line: If you feel a need to reduce weight on the TV with a WDH then I would strongly suggest either upgrading the TM axle, tires, and wheels to handle the additional load or reducing the weight of the TM (e.g. run empty water tanks). In any case make sure the tires are inflated to match the load and do not exceed their speed rating.

ps I cheat. My TV has "trailer sway damping" built in.