TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-23-2014, 07:27 AM   #1
Jwb2619

Default Chevy Traverse

I have a 2619. I tow it with a Chevy Suburban. However, the Chevy is getting old and worn out. I am looking to replace it with a Chevy Traverse - rated to tow 5200 lbs. Is any one currently using a Traverse as a TV? I appreciate any thoughts on using the Traverse as a tow vehicle.
Jwb2619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:53 AM   #2
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

I tow my 2720 with no issues, this is my second Traverse, I leased the first because I wasn't sure if it would do the job, after two years I purchased my current Traverse rather than lease. I like the way it pulls .

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:44 AM   #3
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Default 2010 traverse with tow pkg

I spent at least six months researching tow vehicles before buying my Chevy traverse. At the time I didn't even have my Trailmanor but was planning for couple years down the road.

Lo and behold in June 2013 I stumbled across my new to me 2010 Trailmanor 2720KD for the right price and bought it at least a year or two before I had planned on. That caused me to have to immediately buy a tow vehicle. Thankfully I had been test driving different options for a month or so prior to that.

Based purely on specs, I had pretty much narrowed it down to the Traverse, Honda Pilot or Ford Flex. I never did see a Pilot in person, but the tow capacity was only 4500 lbs IIRC, and the price was not too my liking. I test drove a couple of traverses and liked them for the most part, and the price was better. I looked at a Flex but didn't test drive it. Didn't like it.

Then I checked on this forum and emailed a couple of Traverse owners to see their experience. That convinced me to go with the Traverse and I am glad that I did.

I wanted a vehicle that was also great for everyday driving with plenty of room inside for all the stuff I take.

I do miss my minivan though, and wish SUVs would come with a sliding door. I really miss my villager for its interior flexibility. I would like to permanently remove the third row seat in my Traverse but supposedly that is not possible, so in mine, that seat is ALWAYS folded flat.

*****IMPORTANT*****

Make sure that you buy one with factory installed tow package. That is the only way to get the full tow capacity. It has a tow/haul button that when you activate it knows you are towing and adjusts something....not sure exactly what.

I only tow in the mostly flat, but with some large hills, Wisconsin. As others will tell you, it depends where you are towing. I don't know how this would tow in the mountains for example. But for me,it really tows beautifully. I added a Prodigy 3 brake controller and added tow mirrors when towing.

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)
Welcome Sophie DOB 1/5/2021
Mini Goldendoodle (who's not so mini)

New to me 2010. 2720SD TrailManor
New to me 2010 Chevy Traverse

Both purchased July 2013

Factory installed 80W solar panel.

New batteries June 30th 2018.
(SLIGC115 Duracell Ultra 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Battery x 2)
New bag seals Sept 2020
Rohent R7 HD 1080P RV Wireless Backup Camera Installed Sept 2020
Bailey'sMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:35 PM   #4
Jwb2619

Thanks to everyone replying with the tow information. It seems as though the Chevy Traverse may meet my needs. Bailey's mom brings up an interesting question? Has anyone towed with the Traverse in the mountains? I have towed my 2619 from Fl to the Rockies and back. While I won't be making that journey anytime soon I will probably be visiting North Carolina and Tennessee.
Jwb2619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:41 PM   #5
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

I have towed everywhere east of the Mississippi , through the eastern mountains but not out west where the real mountains are! No problem from Ohio to the Carolina's or to Tennessee .I do plan Ohio to Florida in September

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:17 PM   #6
Tampajohn

Default Pulling with a Isuzu 4500 lb. capacity.

I don't know if this helps, but we have a Isuzu with a 4500 lb tow capacity. We have been on the road since Nov. 11 from Florida to Michigan to Los Angeles and now back to Florida. We have hit mountains in the west where it was all we could do to make it up them. I got tired of fooling with them and am suppose to have a NTU Dodge Durango when we get home. The tow capacity on it is suppose to be 8950 lbs and I am certain it will do the job. We are on our 3rd tranny with a transmission cooler the one before. Think you will be ok east of the Mississippi, but west, it was really a load sometimes. Not one to be the bearer of bad news, but just wanted to help if at all possible. John

BTW the Durango is a 4x4, Transmissions are expensive at $1800 each. It will pay for a lot of gas.