TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #1
webfoot

Default Putting TrailManor away wet

Once my kids are off to college my wife and I intend to upgrade from our popup to a TrailManor. We live in Oregon which means frequent camping in the rain. Once the kids are gone we will do more camping in late fall and winter, which means more rain.

I can crank the popup part way up in the garage and let it dry out. I'm wondering what to do with the TrailManor. If it has been put down wet do I need to open it up to dry it out? If we need to do this can I partially pop it up in the garage? There is the garage door opener and other items on the garage ceiling that prevent me from popping it up all the way.

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
Steppy

Default Putting TrailManor away wet

Quote:
Originally Posted by webfoot View Post
Once my kids are off to college my wife and I intend to upgrade from our popup to a TrailManor. We live in Oregon which means frequent camping in the rain. Once the kids are gone we will do more camping in late fall and winter, which means more rain.

I can crank the popup part way up in the garage and let it dry out. I'm wondering what to do with the TrailManor. If it has been put down wet do I need to open it up to dry it out? If we need to do this can I partially pop it up in the garage? There is the garage door opener and other items on the garage ceiling that prevent me from popping it up all the way.

Thanks!
What I've done when having to collapse the TM in the rain is to open it up sometime after I get home to prevent mold from growing between the collapsed shells. I never had that happen, however and there is air circulation around the closed shells from the bottom. I always keep my TM open at home anyways and collapse it when I tow it. I do collapse it and cover it up for the Winter, however. Just my routine which may not be what others do.
Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller
Curt WDH Trunnion 800 # TW
Steppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
MisterP

We live with mold here in Florida. I have not seen it on the closed shells so far. On the top, plenty. Black mold that is very hard to remove.

Closing wet will also stain the curtains, which is why many buyers see them. I guess we did have some mold on our old curtains. We now use removable rods with our curtains, I take them down and lay them on the couch and bed before closing up.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:17 PM   #4
webfoot

Thanks for the feedback! I'm going to pull out a tape measure and see if I can find some way to fully open a 2720 or 2417 in my garage. In addition to drying it out I can also do maintenance/modifications on it in the winter where it's dry. I just need to move the garage door opener, canoe, and other stuff hanging from the ceiling.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

If your are packing down after a rain you could also squeegee off the roof with a long handled squeegee before you fold it down. This is also useful for getting the pine straw off the roof so it does not get stuck in your curtain tops.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

neat trick i seen last time out, fellow across from us carried a small leaf blower with him, cleaned off and dried off things very fast in the morning, thought it was a cool trick,

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyhotel View Post
neat trick i seen last time out, fellow across from us carried a small leaf blower with him, cleaned off and dried off things very fast in the morning, thought it was a cool trick,
That's a great idea, kind of like a hairdryer for your TM.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #8
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

after i posted that, i got to thinking ,
my dad has a little battery one that is small and runs about 1/2 to 45 min on a single charge, would be grt for that,

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #9
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

You could just unlatch the center latches, so that each shell would elevate at an angle. The roof rises about a foot when I unlatch my center latches. This should allow for ventilation on the top, but not too much ventilation on the sides. Curtains would be the concern on the sides, as the rear shell, if wet, would nest against the front shell's curtains when closing. May use a towel and dry the rear shell before closing, to get as much water off as you can.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:34 AM   #10
webfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToCamp View Post
You could just unlatch the center latches, so that each shell would elevate at an angle. The roof rises about a foot when I unlatch my center latches. This should allow for ventilation on the top, but not too much ventilation on the sides. Curtains would be the concern on the sides, as the rear shell, if wet, would nest against the front shell's curtains when closing. May use a towel and dry the rear shell before closing, to get as much water off as you can.
Now it's sinking in why MisterP put removable rods on those curtains. If I do that and unlatch the center latches for more ventilation then that should work.