TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Recipes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2007, 09:12 PM   #1
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Default A new kind of coffee maker for camping

We have a stovetop percolator, a Melitta drip cone, and a French press. I swore by the French press, it makes great coffee, but it's kind of hard to clean, especially when you're dry camping. So I've switched back to the Melitta cone for the past year.

I'd really like to try one of these: http://aerobie.com/Products/aeropress.htm

They run a little under $30. Has anyone tried one? There is a shop in Carmel that carries them and I am tempted to take a drive down there to buy one. The appeal for me is the ease of cleaning. It also looks like it takes up very little space.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:45 PM   #2
Caver
Site Sponsor

Default Good Coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_D View Post
We have a stovetop percolator, a Melitta drip cone, and a French press. I swore by the French press, it makes great coffee, but it's kind of hard to clean, especially when you're dry camping. So I've switched back to the Melitta cone for the past year.

I'd really like to try one of these: http://aerobie.com/Products/aeropress.htm

They run a little under $30. Has anyone tried one? There is a shop in Carmel that carries them and I am tempted to take a drive down there to buy one. The appeal for me is the ease of cleaning. It also looks like it takes up very little space.
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I usually use an REI French Press and I also have a 12 volt 4 cup drip coffee maker. I read all of the reviews on-line and found mostly positive reviews. Let us know how it works. Does anyone know Zabar's in NY. They have a good price. The filters appear to be only about 1 cent each.

http://www.zabars.com/

Ray
Caver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:49 PM   #3
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_D View Post
I know it's not as much fun as driving to Carmel, but did you realize there is a vendor in your own home town? CHEFWORKS (walk-in retailer), 1527 PACIFIC AVE., SANTA CRUZ, CA 95060, Phone: 831-426-1351.

Save some gas for a longer camping trip.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:43 AM   #4
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Default Coffee Makers

We're far from being "coffee affeciandos" but we use a small, 4-cup, drip type coffee maker with a stainless carafe. We thought the metal carafe would be a good choice to withstand the rigors of camping. Don't remember the brand, but I think we paid less than $20 for it at Costco last year.

Nick
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:02 AM   #5
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Paul, thanks for the tip! One of the ladies I work with takes her kids to ballet right by the Carmel shop, so I've asked her to buy me one next time she's by there.

I don't like to go the Pacific Garden Mall very much, too many scary people , but they do have some great shops there.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:57 AM   #6
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Well, I came into work this morning and there was my AeroPress! I tried it. It makes great coffee & is SO easy to clean up. You just take off the bottom cap and knock off the grinds into the garbage can, then rinse off the bottom of the plunger.

I think that I might just have to go make another cup....
Old 08-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #7
kieranmullen

So I like to bring up old threads on the same topics...

Any thoughts on 12VDC versus propane? I just installed a 154 W solar panel and I have a second battery box ready...
kieranmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #8
ThePair
TrailManor Master

I use an AeroPress exclusively while camping. It makes great coffee, especially for me as I only really like Espresso, and this does a passable job, with no utility needs other than hot water. I've got a hand-grinder, so that takes that part of the coffee-making equation, plus the AeroPress = YUM!
ThePair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:49 AM   #9
kieranmullen

What do you use for a hand grinder? Might just bring the electric one from home and run it on an inverter. It would use far much less power than the electric coffee maker.
kieranmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:33 AM   #10
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

I bought an expensive espresso machine a few years back after a good run at the poker tables and we have become rather spoiled. As part of my research on what to buy and the art of making coffee ( for some people this is their hobby and live and breathe it) I learned a lot. I also purchased a good portable espresso machine for when we have hookups. Dry camping is more challenging. French press is probably second best to a good espresso machine. It turned out to be far too messy in the trailer. Using a cone drip system is where we are at now. I am considering upgrading my inverter to accommodate my espresso machine but may try this first.

I am intrigued by this coffee maker as it is essentially a French press that can be easily cleaned. This has the highest rating for alternative coffee making systems at the "Coffee Geek" site and is reported to make excellent coffee.

http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/vacpots/aeropress

It is not a big deal but if you want your coffee to be as good as it can get I would suggest a metal filter, as paper filters absorb some oils from the coffee that add much flavor. Amazon has the maker ($26) and a reusable metal filter ($12) with free shipping. Here are the links.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A25SW9WEC88F0Y

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote