TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Appliances
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2017, 10:16 PM   #1
mmayville

Default Air conditioner leak

Has anyone had a leak from the front vents of the A/C from the condenser? I checked my A/C install and it seems that the top channel where the bolt holes are drilled to mount the A/C fills with water and instead of running out from under the A/C onto the roof it leaks inside the unit from the vents. I have tried to adjust the level of the unit to stop the leak but it moves the leak from one side of the front vent to the other side. Unless I put the unit in to one heck of a lean the water continues to leak. I adjusted the unit nose high and stopped the leak and it runs down the side of the door and does not leak inside. But if I adjust the unit back to level the inside leak starts again. I did notice that the drain rail for the water on top of the unit near the A/C is slightly leaning downward towards the A/C unit which will cause the A/C unit to leak inside. But there has to be a way to shim the top mount from the inside to raise the channel back up for the air to drain outside again. I have chiseled out a 1 1/2 deep section below the mount and put in a 1x2 to support the air conditioning unit but is does not seem to be enough to raise the edge of the drain channel to allow the air conditioner to drain outside. I am open to any fixes, suggestions.

Mike

2004 2720SL Swing Tongue
2015 Toyota Tacoma V6 4.0L
Many changes since I purchased it!
mmayville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:01 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

There was a discussion not long ago (with pictures!) about the air conditioner's drain pan, where it is located, how it drains (through a tube), and how to unclog the tube. Perhaps someone will post a link to the discussion, or a Search on "drain pan" might find it.

This is it http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...d.php?t=18132]

You should not have to reseat or adjust the air conditioner itself - just push a wire or a pipe cleaner through the tube. The condensate does not drain under the unit, but as I recall, from the side of the unit and down onto the roof.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:04 PM   #3
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

When you have the AC open to clean the drain tube, clean the inside coil with coil cleaner.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:10 PM   #4
mmayville

My particular unit does not have the drain tube. It seems that it is an add on for the water to drain. I did notice that the front of the unit where it is mounted that the drain rail is low in the front where it should be higher so the water drains from under the unit onto the roof either front or rear depending on how you level the unit. I am going to shim the front of the A/C to bring the drain rail up so the water drains away from the A/C and see how that affects the way the water drains away from the unit. We are expecting a heavy rain tomorrow so I will shim the front of the A/C this evening to see if it fixes the leak. The four bolts that hold the mounting brace in place maybe too tight causing the front of the A/C to pull the drain rail down towards the inside of the unit. Will let you know how it turns out.

Mike

2004 2720SL Swing Tongue
Old 08-16-2017, 03:30 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmayville View Post
My particular unit ...
Mike -

What is your particular unit? You are describing some things that I'm not recognizing.

The words "drain tube" may be misleading. It is more of a hole than a tube. In one of the references above, the serviceman says
"on most roof top A/C/ units, the condensation drains out the bottom of the unit - between the base of the air conditioner and the roof. For this reason, never, ever seal around the perimeter of the air conditioner - I cannot say how many times I have had to deal with a unit where someone slopped goop around the base of the air conditioner, trapping water in where it has to leak inside. The "inside" coils of the air conditioner sit in a drain pan, to collect the condensation, which then runs out a small hole in the side, and out the bottom."

Bill
Old 08-16-2017, 04:06 PM   #6
mmayville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Mike -

What is your particular unit? You are describing some things that I'm not recognizing.

The words "drain tube" may be misleading. It is more of a hole than a tube. In one of the references above, the serviceman says
"on most roof top A/C/ units, the condensation drains out the bottom of the unit - between the base of the air conditioner and the roof. For this reason, never, ever seal around the perimeter of the air conditioner - I cannot say how many times I have had to deal with a unit where someone slopped goop around the base of the air conditioner, trapping water in where it has to leak inside. The "inside" coils of the air conditioner sit in a drain pan, to collect the condensation, which then runs out a small hole in the side, and out the bottom."

Bill
I will take pictures when I am out there this afternoon to show how the top of the air conditioner is sitting on the cowling for the mount.

2004 2720SL Swing Tongue
Old 08-16-2017, 04:43 PM   #7
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Mike,

Is the leak appearing when you operate the air conditioner? Or is the leak evident when it rains? I ask because some 2003 units shipped with the wrong gasket between the base of the air conditioner and the roof. The wrong gasket was absorbing rain water instead of preventing water infiltration. I had a persistent leak whenever it rained and had our dealer replace the gasket with the correct one and that solved the problem. If you are experiencing the leak when it rains you may have the wrong gasket.

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:23 AM   #8
mmayville

My unit is a 2004. The gasket is new and the mount is leaning backwards towards the drain pan. I noticed it when I looked at it sideways from the curb side of the roof. I put a couple of shims on the inside to bring the drain pan up in the front. Looks good so far so will put a water hose to it tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170816_182215.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	15993   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170816_182255.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	15994   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170816_193446.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	15995   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170816_193451.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	15996   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170816_193504.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	15997  

2004 2720SL Swing Tongue
Old 08-17-2017, 06:50 AM   #9
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Interesting. That is an Atwood ? Mine is a Coleman ('06) and just has a gap on the side. Actual drain would be on the pan under the shell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gapdrain.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	15998  
Old 08-17-2017, 07:32 AM   #10
Bill
Site Team

OK, so you have an Atwood. I have to apologize, I've never seen an Atwood. Both my 2002 TM and my 2006 TM had Coleman units, and I just assumed that yours, being between those model years, also had a Coleman.

This highlights a mistake that many of us make, assuming that all units of a given model year are the same, and that changes happen only on model year boundaries. Neither is true. TM made changes whenever it worked out best for them. I can't blame them, but it makes things a bit confusing for those of us trying to do (or guide) repairs and maintenance in the future. It also highlights the need to be specific when requesting help here on the forum.

You can disregard most of my comments in my posts above.

Bill