TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-16-2023, 12:48 PM   #1
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

Default Death of my Trailmanor

I bought my 2004 Trailmanor 3023 as my first RV, for $4000 with salvage title because it had been hail damaged and sat on an insurance company lot for a year. We got 8 years out of it, during which I fixed almost every part of it and learned a lot.

In November I had a heart attack (not a bad one, and I'm fine now) and as a result the unit sat closed and uncovered through the winter rains. It had developed a number of problems on the front shell and these got worse. Through the rains, and perhaps some past ones, it seemed to have picked up some weight on the front shell, or the torsion bars weakened. It's almost impossible for one person to open when leveled. I guess because of the extra weight, it knocked off the front 2 pocket stop steel reinforcements, and then the pocket stop bolts penetrated the frame and the pocket stops could no longer be adjusted. These are very hard to access, as they are recessed into the shell. Then it bent the shell in back of the door. The front shell now opens with a 4 inch gap in front of the front bed.

After this, decided that I had reached the point of diminishing returns and would no longer attempt to repair this RV. I towed it to a property where I can store it, covered it with a tarp, and ended my local RV lot space rental.

I will remove my compressor fridge, the solar panels, and some electrical parts, but it will then be available for sale to anyone who wants it for spare parts or to part down. It's near Highway 97 in far-northern-California about 45 minutes south of Klamath Falls.

I am not purchasing another trailer until I am able to keep it at home - my current home has a sloped and curved driveway that would not admit a trailer. Keeping the trailer away from home made it that much harder to care for.

- Bruce
Old 06-16-2023, 02:04 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Bruce -

I'm really sorry to hear all that. I've wondered where you were - you were one of our best contributors, and we hadn't heard from you in a while. I'm glad your medical problems resolved, and I'll hope that to hear soon that you've been able to rejoin us officially.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 04:39 PM   #3
fairweatherfisherman
Site Sponsor

I share Bill’s sentiment. Glad you are still with us.
Old 06-21-2023, 05:24 PM   #4
Dodge trucker

Ok my turn,

First glad you're doing alright.
Next what's gonna become of your TM?
What shape is the rear shell in?
How many years interchange? And pertaining to what parts for a given year, or set of years of TM?
I have a 97, 3023
I wish you were closer, for sure.
Speaking of diminishing returns, you're a ways from me, I. Chicago area. Can only hope that whoever ends up with it, does so a good ways east to be able to do me much good.
I have had my TM just over a month now, have camped in it once so far, have a couple of other campouts planned and pd for the rest of this year. But I do know that I have some work to do on mine
Dodge trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 06:54 PM   #5
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

The rear shell is in good shape except that it needs to be taped at the middle seam, and has solar panels attached. The bottom is in good shape too. The vinyl is all in poor shape.

I'm sure this could be of use to someone, but I'm not equipped to lift the rear shell off of the unit, etc.
Old 06-21-2023, 09:29 PM   #6
Dodge trucker

The vinyl? You mean the interior "paneling" for lack of a better description? How is the "dome" on the rear shell?

And "middle seam taped" something doesn't sound right there.
Dodge trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 11:13 AM   #7
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

Thanks for checking back in. Best wishes!
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote