TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2023, 10:18 AM   #1
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

Default Pet peeve

I know this may be churlish, and petty... But I needed to get this off my chest, as a former Sales rep for Keystone, Grand Design, and others, I have a pet peeve.

Trail Manors are NOT CAMPERS!

If you look at any manufacturer's website or literature you will see them called Trailers, Travel Trailers, Coaches, 5th Wheels, Toy Haulers, and RVs. NEVER CAMPER! (The exception is Lance...they sell a camper!)

A small shell placed on and in the bed of a truck is a CAMPER...
A small child going to a summer camp is a CAMPER...

End of rant!
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Kmikesell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 11:05 AM   #2
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Not all hot tubs are Jacuzzis, not all facial tissue are Kleenex, and yet from the TrailManor website… They refer to TrailManors as trailers, travel trailers, RVs, and yep, you guessed it, campers. Hopefully you can sleep easier now!

Edit: I don’t know why the thumbnails look like caca but if you click on them they open to show clear screenshots.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E1005E96-D1C9-4620-991C-50313110ED99.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	786.5 KB
ID:	21863   Click image for larger version

Name:	FBDFC9FE-29AD-4A5F-B292-87B53A2B6B65.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	595.1 KB
ID:	21864  
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 11:39 AM   #3
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

I guess Lance and Trailmanor are the exceptions. I'm still not going to call it a "camper" though! lol

Looks like they use the term "trailer" and "camper" Who knew!
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Old 04-20-2023, 09:27 PM   #4
oldstick
TrailManor Master

Kmike, you must not be all that old (HaHa). Back in the days when many of us started camping as young kids with our families, you either had a tent or a "camper". Weren't any such thing as "RVs" or "toy haulers" back then no matter how big or elaborate they were. We did sometimes refer to any camper that was a pull-behind as a "trailer" though. But everything was a tent or a camper if you stayed in it in a "campground".

Later came the advent of what we called "camper vans" or "motor homes" in the case of the larger self powered units.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 07:37 AM   #5
Househunterlives

Yep that is correct. Everything was originally called a camper outside of a tent. Later it was camper vans, then Motor coaches. Wasn't called an RV and pull behind wasn't call a travel trailer. Was call a camper. Anything that has a kitchen, bathroom and can sleep in is classified as a camper/travel trailer. You can also go to your county tax office and claim it as a second home. Save you money on taxes. When I went to the DMV to register our TM. They had a hard time trying to find it listed. They still classify it as a pop up. But when you go to a campground. You need to tell them its a travel trailer, not a pop up. Because a lot of campgrounds will not allow pop up campers. Most RV resorts will not allow a TM. Then there is the problem of owning one more than 10 years old. Won't let you in if it is. Some will, but you have to send them pictures of it showing the decals are not peeling off.
Househunterlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 12:41 PM   #6
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

From the RVIA (Recreational Vehicle Industry Association) Website:
The Birth of the RV Industry
In 1910, there were few gas stations, few paved roads and no highway system. But there were RVs. 1910 is the year that America’s leading RV historians – David Woodworth, Al Hesselbart and Roger White – cite as the beginning of what has become the modern RV industry.

“The first motorized campers were built in 1910,” says Woodworth, a preeminent collector of early RVs and RV camping memorabilia. “Before then, people camped in private rail cars that were pulled to sidings along train routes. The year 1910 brought a new freedom to people who didn’t want to be limited by the rail system. RVs allowed them to go where they wanted, when they wanted.”

Hesselbart, archivist for the RV/MH Heritage Museum in Elkhart, Indiana, also pinpoints 1910 as the birth of the RV industry. “Camping has been around for centuries, but 1910 is when the first auto-related camping vehicles were built for commercial sale.” Known as “auto campers” or “camping trailers” a century ago, these vehicles were a forerunner of today’s modern RVs.

Interesting.
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Old 04-21-2023, 01:07 PM   #7
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Well you know what they say… A camper black tank by any other name still smells as sweet!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 01:41 PM   #8
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Ah, the memories you have stirred up! In about 1955 (Lord, was I ever that young?) my father came home towing something called a Kwik-Kamp. It was basically a big box made of 3/4" marine plywood on a truck axle and tires. Heavy! Like a cigar box, it opened by folding the top up and over, except that the hinge for folding was along the bottom edge of the side. As it opened, it pulled a canvas tent on an aluminum frame behind it, so when the unfold was complete, the tent was already erected on a wood floor. Over the next few years, my Mom and Dad, my brother and I traveled thousands of miles with that thing, seeing most of the big National Parks west of the Mississippi, from Mexico well up into Canada. Never saw another one, and unfortunately the trailer burned in a storage shed fire a few years later.

Many years later, I tried to find some history and pictures of the thing. No luck at all. The folks at the RVMH museum in Elkhart had no clue, even though I made some PowerPoint drawings of the thing to help prod memories. Finally, tucked away in an obscure corner of the Internet, I found links to two articles in the PopUp Camper Archive that mentioned it.

http://www.popupcamperhistory.com/kwikkamp1957may.html
http://www.popupcamperhistory.com/kwikkamp1959feb.html

A whole lot different from today's rigs, right? And yes, it was called a camper or camping trailer. Has anyone here camped in anything earlier?

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide1.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	21867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide2.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	21868   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide3.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	21869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide4.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	21870  
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 04:54 PM   #9
wbmiller3
Site Sponsor

My dad's first camper in the 60s was a Cox. Canvas top, heavy as hell beds that were just hinged and you had to lift them up and out. I remember us going through I don't know how many tires on a trip to Arizona in 1969. As an 8 year old kid I insisted on being able to watch the moon landing, so took along a tiny B&W portable TV.

(Picture from www.popupcamperhistory.com)

Note in the brochure, both the humans, and the trailers, are referred to as "campers".
2018 F150 towing 2001 2619; lift kit & 15" wheels
wbmiller3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 06:04 PM   #10
oldstick
TrailManor Master

You guys are stirring up fond memories for me too. I seem to vaguely remember the name Kwick-Camp but not sure if I ever saw one, but seem to remember seeing some that resembled that type of design. And I definitely remember seeing the Cox style.

1960s for me also. Our first family excursion was with another family that had bought a small trailer, I believe the name was Eager Beaver. Dad borrowed an old canvas army tent (olive green, of course) from my uncle for us to sleep in. And interestingly both of us were families of 6. Eight kids total.

Then low and behold a few months later, he came home with a brand new Nimrod (appropriately named) pop-up with plastic roof that slept all six of us. Couple years later, he traded it for a deluxe sized (to us anyway) Starcraft that slept 8. We traveled many miles in that one, including fairly long trips to DC and the Blue Ridge Mts. and such places.

And if I recall, the Eager Beaver and both or our pop-ups were towed by Ford Galaxy station wagons of that era.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote