TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-16-2023, 07:43 PM   #1
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Default Gas Struts

Has anyone given any thought to adding gas struts to the roof lift arms.

I'm thinking of putting 2 or 4, 200#, 20" gas struts on each roof. I'm just wondering if anyone has tried it or has any thoughts on it. If they were properly designed and un-tragically placed, a person should be able to lift the roofs with one finger.

https://www.amazon.com/Struts-Suppor...jaz10cnVl&th=1
Old 03-16-2023, 08:05 PM   #2
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Where would you put them? And wouldn’t that make it even harder to close?
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 08:10 PM   #3
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
Where would you put them? And wouldn’t that make it even harder to close?
I'd have to weld brackets to the frame. Not a big deal.

That's the beauty of the gas struts. They can lift a lot of weight but are easy to retract. Same concept as most cars have on their trunk lids and SUVs have on their tailgates. Our last motorhome had them on our king sized platform bed. That bed was heavy as heck but you could lift and lower it with with one finger. We stored a lot of stuff under there.

Auto manufacturers abandoned the torsion rod technology about 40-years ago. I've often wondered why TM hasn't gone with gas struts a long time ago. There MUST be a reason. I'm just not seeing it. That's why I'm posting this thread. Maybe someone knows and save me a lot of time and $.
Old 03-16-2023, 10:25 PM   #4
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavery View Post
Has anyone given any thought to adding gas struts to the roof lift arms.

I'm thinking of putting 2 or 4, 200#, 20" gas struts on each roof. I'm just wondering if anyone has tried it or has any thoughts on it. If they were properly designed and tragically placed, a person should be able to lift the roofs with one finger.
Hmmm.... an accident just waiting to happen....

Hee hee. Couldn't resist this one.... I know you meant strategically placed. I assume it was predictive typing!

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 07:48 AM   #5
jagizzi
Site Sponsor

McMaster Carr has quite a selection of struts. We built our teardrop trailer and placed 100# struts to lift it and hold it open. I can tell you that placement is critical. I aimed for less than fully compressed at close so that if I was off a millimeter or two I could still get the hatch closed.

Heck, now that I'm thinking about it, in this instance it's pretty simple to figure mounting points. I know that struts are used in some of the A-Frame popups. Now if I could only weld, dang.
jagizzi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 09:04 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Wavery -

I'm very interested in this concept. The initial lift of my front shell is very hard, the torsion bar adjustments are maxed out, and I'm not looking for another trip to South Dakota. Can you give me a little more detail in your thinking?

My mental picture says that when the front shell is down, the strut is compressed, so presumably it is mounted in such a way that it is 12 inches (more or less) long. Then, as I release the latches and begin to lift the shell, the strut helps me for the first 8 inches of strut expansion, after which it is fully extended. Then what? The strut is fully extended, but the shell still has to move several more feet. To me this means that the top of the strut can't be attached to the shell itself. You are apparently thinking that in some way it would push on the lift arm at a point where the total motion of the lift arm is 8 inches - in other words, somewhere near the hinge point?

Second part of the question. Once I get the shell up about halfway, the remaining lift is very easy, and I don't need any further help. I don't want the strut to continue helping me, because I don't want it to slam the shell into the end stops at the end of the shell travel. Is the plan to mount the strut where it produces full force when the lift arm is horizontal, and then as the lift arm rotates toward vertical, the strut keeps pushing, but is no longer pushing in the direction of rotation?

In other words, something like the attached sketch?

Thanks

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Strut.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	21730  
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 10:40 AM   #7
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Bill, go out to your SUV and lift the t/gate. You'll see how the struts are mounted near the hinge on the body and on the t/gate less than 50% of the distance.

If situated properly, the strut will be fully extended when the t/gate is fully opened. Most of the energy of the strut is exhausted in mid stroke (depending on the strut valving).

I don't have all the math worked out and it's just an idea at the moment. I didn't want to wear out my brain (or $) until I find out if someone has been successful (or not) with the concept. My intent is not to have the strut do all the work. Just be an assist. As you well know, after 60-years-old, humans loose about 10% of our muscle mass per year (all things being equal). My wife and I are in our late 70's and each year that roof gets heavier. All I'm trying to do is extend the amount of time that we will be able to lift those roofs without hurting ourselves. I no longer want my wife to even try to lift the roofs, where last year, she could do it on her own, if she had to.

I love your drawing by the way. Is it OK if I use it?

I seem to remember that TM tried using electric lifts at some point. Do you remember that?
Old 03-17-2023, 10:50 AM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
Hmmm.... an accident just waiting to happen....

Hee hee. Couldn't resist this one.... I know you meant strategically placed. I assume it was predictive typing!
Good catch Larry........ I fixed it to be more appropriate.
Old 03-17-2023, 11:32 AM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Your SUV tailgate example was a good one for helping me understand. I have lift struts in my Jeep, though they lost their charge sometime back. I'm cheap, so I now lift by hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavery View Post
I love your drawing by the way. Is it OK if I use it?
If you can find a good use for it, feel free to do so. PowerPoint to the rescue!

Quote:
I seem to remember that TM tried using electric lifts at some point. Do you remember that?
I remember the rumor, but I never saw one, and have no idea of the details. Don't know if any were actually released to buyers.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 12:34 PM   #10
Shane826
TrailManor Master

I’ve doodled some ideas for an electric lift in my mind. I don’t know about retrofitting but with a little bit of re-engineering it would be fairly simple.

I’m really intrigued with the lift strut idea. I bet I know some other folks who would be interested, too.

And as for the 10% muscle mass loss, steroids are cheap. Might be an alternative… ;0)
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote