TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
Brutus

Default 2417 widened for 2013

Quick FYI on the latest 2417. A second 2417 model (the "Standard") is being offered next to the Sport. The Standard is widened from the current 7'1" to 7'7" like the rest of the line. Will add some weight, but the important gain is that the king bed (currently 78"x72") goes to 78" square. This means 6-footers won't have to sleep sideways and have the person-crawling-over-person situation like most of us know and love. The Car Show in Colo Spgs, CO will have one beginning next week. We're stopping by next week to take a look. Just passing along the info...

Edit: In the 2012 version, it looks like the 78" is length-wise, so 6-footers shouldn't have to climb over each other even in the 78"x72" bed. Anyhow, as long as it doesn't add too much weight, I'd think the changes will be welcome. More to follow...
Old 02-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
Brutus

Found a website listing the differences for 2013 vs 2012 versions of the 2417.

http://www.camperoutlet.com/Hidden/T...8/Default.aspx

Wider version is 130 pounds heavier and gets 15" tires.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
Laura FM

The wider version is another model, not a replacement for the original. They seem to be calling the 'sport' and 'standard'

We just ordered a 2417,and were told going with the wider model is an option, but we stuck with the original. I think if we had opted for the bathroom, the wider one would be better, because it is crowded back there. Or you had someone tall using the double bed.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
Found a website listing the differences for 2013 vs 2012 versions of the 2417.

http://www.camperoutlet.com/Hidden/T...8/Default.aspx

Wider version is 130 pounds heavier and gets 15" tires.
That's an interesting photo image when you go to the website link you offered. When you go to the TM tab it shows a Smart car apparently hitched to a TM? Hope someone does not get the wrong idea and try that....would not be very smart!

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
Brutus

Laura,
thanks for the info and congrats on your new 2417! Edited my opening comment to clarify that Standard is an addition to the Sport, not a replacement. Leaning toward the "Wider is better" mantra. Our current (7'7" wide) 2005 2720 has enough room at the entryway for our laborador retriever to lay down and stay out of the main walkway area. Not sure the 7'1" wide version would allow for that. Also, we're spoiled having the toilet in our 2720. For DW, getting the toilet option in a 2417 isn't an option if you know what I mean. Our family will have to check them out side-by-side and decide. (Cleo, if you happen to be reading this, good on ya for offering both versions.)

Rvcycleguy,
I noticed that too. Borderline false advertising. Amazing what liberties some RV dealers will take. I imagine if someone cornered these guys, they'd say something like, "Oh no, those two vehicles aren't connected. It just appears that way." Nice....
Old 02-28-2013, 09:38 PM   #6
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Saw the new, wider model of the 2417 today. Factory rep and the local dealer called it the "Classic" model. Kind of recall a "Classic" decal on the unit, but I wouldn't bet your money the decal was there. Memory isn't what it once was.

The wider body is noticeable in the aisle. Definitely more room between counter and toilet/shower stall. Beds are 6" wider. King was 72" wide, and is now 78" wide.

Also with the wider body, they re-configured the toilet/shower, and now have a larger cassette for the toilet. Looks to hold about twice what my "Sport" will hold.

Changed the stove to a fixed 2-burner, where the sink is in the Sport. The sink is now on the lower counter level. Refrigerator is below the stove, so the area below the sink is a wide-open storage cupboard. They also put the power vent above the toilet/shower, instead of over the stove. Guess I am mixed on feelings for that. Nice to suck steam out from the stove, but also good to suck steam and odors out from the bathroom area.

If you are not going to be pulling your camper on narrow Forest Service trails (we will), the wider 2417 would be good. My unit came with 13" tires, but I will change to 15" when I replace the rubber. Already have the lift kit on, so it won't be a problem.

I like the new "Classic" 2417, but I also like my "Sport". More choices, for now.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
Laura FM

so the sink is pretty low? too low to be comfortable?
Old 03-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #8
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

In my mind, yes. We use the sink for brushing teeth and (myself) shaving. Sink is pretty low to keep the face close to it.

If it were up to me, I would have left the stove on the lower level, but they may have felt little kids would have had too-easy of access to the stove while in-use. Manufacturers have to weigh so many situations, they apparently felt the new configuration was better. Maybe due to plumbing, both water and gas. But, my under-sink cabinet has a shelf. This arrangement, with the sink lower, only has an open cabinet under the sink. The refrigerator, which used to be right of the sink/cabinet, is now under the stove. One less shelf to store things. Could not have put the stove over the 'fridge, though, I guess. While there is about 3" of open space above my 'fridge, it is likely not enough for the below-counter level of the stove parts.

As I said - they have their reasons for most of the changes.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
Brutus

Took a look at the widened 2417 today. Got a few quick pix to show everyone. Looks like a winner. Yes, the sink is low (about at my pants pocket and I'm 6'0"). This allows room for the double bed to slide over it. The bathroom is a toilet and shower area only. No sink there as in other 7'7"-wide TMs. All in all, a well thought-out design for the space available.

Also Lovetocamp, I mentioned to Jeff S that you were at the RV show in Denver Thurs and he remembered talking with you. I knew you went to the show because you said you'd seen this unit and you posted last Thurs night (the first day of the show). Since it's a prototype and the only one existing in the nation for the moment, it wasn't hard to figure out where you were.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2417 -1.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	578.4 KB
ID:	8181   Click image for larger version

Name:	2417 -2.JPG
Views:	534
Size:	507.0 KB
ID:	8182   Click image for larger version

Name:	2417 -3.JPG
Views:	691
Size:	383.6 KB
ID:	8183   Click image for larger version

Name:	2417 - 4.JPG
Views:	813
Size:	462.1 KB
ID:	8184  
Old 03-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #10
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Yep, I was at the Denver show. I go to both of them each year. I'm still doing mods to my 2417, so it is good to look before I do anything.

Will install a solar panel this month; installed a hanging cabinet; also going to install the "flush-mount" handle, instead of a door knob on the entry door.

Also was told that someone else moved their drain valves into the unit, instead of hanging outside. Now that I know where they got their valves, I will look into this. A couple drains may not be accessible for modification, but I'll likely give it a shot.

Regarding the placement of the stove and sink in the wide-body, I think I would rather have the removable stove, so I could cook outside. I like the arrangement in my Sport model. But, others may never want to cook outside.