TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2023, 10:44 AM   #11
Wavery
TrailManor Master

I think that there may be some basic misunderstanding here.

The trailer brakes are not operated by the trailer battery. They are operated by the blue wire coming from the brake controller, through the 7-pin connector. The only time that the trailer battery is used for the brakes is if the emergency brake cable is pulled out (usually because of a runaway trailer).

"IF" a person were so inclined to use a Bluetti or similar devise to run the AC and DC power on the camper, it would only require that the person turn off the breaker to the converter, or install a converter shut-off switch. Just plug the trailer's 30A cable directly into your Bluetti.

As far as the tongue battery is concerned, it only needs to be one of these (link below). It does not have to be constantly maintained. These batteries are used in emergency lighting systems all over the world and sometimes only charged ever 6-months or so, just to be sure that they are operational. On a trailer, just wire the emergency brake switch to the tongue battery (nothing else). The battery could be charged before each trip and be good for months. They don't lose charge like wet cell, lead-acid batteries do.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QPYFBW6...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Old 05-13-2023, 11:50 AM   #12
Sienna

The trailer brakes would still be controlled by the seven pin coming from the tow vehicle.

The small battery is only in case of breakaway.
Old 05-13-2023, 12:49 PM   #13
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

What size/version of Jackery are you looking at? Portable power options have come a long ways recently and I can see why someone would want to swap over to these options. Some can be linked/daisy chained in some fashion to give you lots of power. In looking at Amazon, some manufacturers/versions seem to be having support problems. My only thoughts are on research. How long have they been in business.
How good is their support system.
Can the internal battery side be replaced, verse having to try and recycle the whole unit?
Lastly how much does it weigh? You mentioned reducing weight. Is it too much weight on the front or back end of the TM?
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 02:02 PM   #14
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I think I have sketched out what you describe. Here is my problem. You said

Quote:
1a. I do have a battery tender that I use with my current lead acid batteries. That I would hook up in between trips to the trailer brake battery and hook up the trailer brake battery to the 7 pin to charge it while towing.
The 7-pin is always connected to the TM main battery, or it wont charge the main battery. If you hook up the trailer brake battery to the 7-pin while towing, then you are connecting the trailer brake battery to the TM main battery.

Or am I still not getting it. If I'm not getting it, a sketch from you would help.

Biii
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Small battery.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	21986  
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 04:19 PM   #15
Sienna

Default Sketch of what I am thinking

Thanks for the sketch suggestion Sorry for all the notes in the sketch.

But here goes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1739.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	21989  
Old 05-13-2023, 05:33 PM   #16
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Let us know how it works out.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 05:53 PM   #17
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich2468 View Post
I see a number of shortcomings:

1st As Shane called out, it needs a secure connection to supply 12 volt DC for the trailer brakes under tow. (There's no compromise on that fact)

Actually Rich, there is a simple compromise. See post #11.
Old 05-13-2023, 11:21 PM   #18
rich2468
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavery View Post
Actually Rich, there is a simple compromise. See post #11.
Wavery, I'd call that "right-sizing" [emoji3], not a compromise.

There's certainly no need to carry around 70 lbs of lead acid battery if that small battery will handle the break away power needs....but the rest of the camper is still going to need power and I just don't see the economics of using a Bluetti/ Jackery device making sense for most.

I'll be happy to see how Sienna (Steve and Penny) make it work for them. It's always great seeing other's solutions to making their TrailManor work best for them.

420Ah LiFePO4 battery bank, kilowatt solar, 3K Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter, DC-to-DC Charger, Sealand 711-M28 toilet, Maxxis 8008 Load Rated E
rich2468 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 11:32 PM   #19
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich2468 View Post
Wavery, I'd call that "right-sizing" [emoji3], not a compromise.

There's certainly no need to carry around 70 lbs of lead acid battery if that small battery will handle the break away power needs....but the rest of the camper is still going to need power and I just don't see the economics of using a Bluetti/ Jackery device making sense for most.
Oh! Don't get me wrong. I don't see the economics working out "for me" either....UNLESS..... the user has an additional use for the Bluetti/Jackery or whatever.

The OP indicated that he has one anyway and just wanted to know if it is feasible to use it as his primary battery.... The answer is "Yes" it can be done. If you have one anyway, use it to it's full potential. Those things are expensive so why not put it to work.
Old 05-13-2023, 11:43 PM   #20
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
I think I have sketched out what you describe. Here is my problem. You said

"The 7-pin is always connected to the TM main battery, or it wont charge the main battery. If you hook up the trailer brake battery to the 7-pin while towing, then you are connecting the trailer brake battery to the TM main battery."

Or am I still not getting it. If I'm not getting it, a sketch from you would help.

Biii
Actually Bill, the small battery on the tongue (used for emergency brakes only) seldom needs charging and if the hot lead from the 7-pin connecter were hooked up to that small battery, the battery would overheat in a short time. Those batteries are normally charged with a regulated 14v 1.5A charger/maintainer.

I use one of those batteries to operate my dual electric driveway gates. It's charged via a 20W solar panel with a 5A solar controller. The gate is used several times a day and I change that battery about every 4-5 years.