TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Forum Admin | Account Help | Suggestion Box
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2023, 08:35 PM   #11
oldstick
TrailManor Master

You might have to get specific to the part or area in question when submitting keywords for the search. For example, just for a test, I entered only the word "roof" and that's when I got nearly 100 pages of posts dating back to almost the year 2K.

If you think about how often members might have used the word "exterior" in their post vs. how many were asking or discussing something about the "roof" specifically, that seems logical.

One key suggestion is under the "Search" option at the top of the page, is to click on "Advanced Search".

You will see many options you can select for your search, but the most common one is at the top left. Choose whether you want to search through every entire post or just search through all the thread titles. Enter all the keywords you want to see with a space between each keyword. For example if you enter roof sealant adhesive in the keyword space you will get every single post or title that contains all 3 of those words, depending on "entire posts or titles only" you had selected. In this example I would assume it is more likely that all 3 of those words might appear inside the potentially useful posts that are discussing the subject rather than someone including all 3 words in the title of the thread they may have started. So I would definitely choose "search entire posts".

Also notice in the advanced search, it defaults to searching all sections/subsections of the forum unless you narrow it down by selecting specific categories in the menu on the right side of the advanced search page. In general, choose that as a starting point, then you can come back and narrow the scope down if needed. Say you had found a very useful discussion in a particular section and then you need to quickly revisit that same info a few months later.
oldstick is offline   Reply With Quote