TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-31-2012, 08:02 PM   #1
househunterlives

Default Where is the black tank

My DW went camping with just water and electrcial hookups. Didn't have Sewer hose hookup. So we tried the shower out and by taking Navy showers still filled up the gray water tank. Went to leave the camp ground and needed to empty the toilet. So I thought the TM had a black water tank. So since we ever pulled the leveler to empty the the toilet I figure we had plenty of space to rinse the toilet out. But the gray tank was already full. So it seems the toilet emptys into the gray tank? Becuase the black water in the toilet wouldn't empty out all the way. Had to use my toilet buddy to empty the gray water to make room to empty the toilet the rest of the way. Then I had to stop at the dump station to empty the tank the rest of the way.

I really thought the TM had both gray and black tanks. This is a problem when leaving as we have to open the TM back up at the dump station to clear the toilet. Any sugestions?
Old 01-31-2012, 08:13 PM   #2
happybeebob

Househunterlives:
I was going to try and answer this but I think there will be plenty of other people and answers coming in so will leave it to them.

Bob
Old 01-31-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
rumbleweed

Ok you don't say what TM you have, so I will assume that you have a model with the Thetford recirculating toilet. There is no black water tank in the traditional sense. The toilet itself is the black water tank. It does not empty into the grey water tank. To drain that tanks follow the procedure below.

Make sure both gate valves under the TM are closed.
Prior to closing the TM pull the "T" handle near the bottom front of the Toilet.
at the dump site,
hook up the hose to the TM and dump station tank
There are two gate valves under the TM one in a large line and one in a smaller line.
pull the "T" handle on the larger gate valve. This dumps the toilet.
Once it has drained,
Pull the gate valve handle on the smaller line from the grey water tank.
Allow that tank to empty it will also rinse out the dump hose some
close both gate valves and you are on your way.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

See this thread for a virtual tour of the toilet.
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ead.php?t=8112

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
househunterlives

Default Rinse the toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumbleweed View Post
Ok you don't say what TM you have, so I will assume that you have a model with the Thetford recirculating toilet. There is no black water tank in the traditional sense. The toilet itself is the black water tank. It does not empty into the grey water tank. To drain that tanks follow the procedure below.

Make sure both gate valves under the TM are closed.
Prior to closing the TM pull the "T" handle near the bottom front of the Toilet.
at the dump site,
hook up the hose to the TM and dump station tank
There are two gate valves under the TM one in a large line and one in a smaller line.
pull the "T" handle on the larger gate valve. This dumps the toilet.
Once it has drained,
Pull the gate valve handle on the smaller line from the grey water tank.
Allow that tank to empty it will also rinse out the dump hose some
close both gate valves and you are on your way.
Your right. But we still have to rinse the toilet by filling it back up and dump it again. In order to do that you have to open up the TM at the dump station. Other wise it is going to stink. We have a 2005 3023.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Most of the time, I do not rinse the toilet after dumping, and I have never had it stink. However, when I dump where there is a fresh water source available for rinsing waste tanks, I do take advantage of that and use the "Flush King" to rinse the toilet with the TM closed. Also available at Camping World.

Dave
Old 01-31-2012, 09:23 PM   #7
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

We always open ours up at the dump station and rinse it at least one more time. It only takes a couple of minutes extra to open the TM up and close it back down. We usually keep a 2 1/2 gallon bottle of water in the TM that we fill up ahead of time for filling up/rinsing out the toilet a second time. Whatever extra we need to make it circulate we pump out of the water tank using the shower hose.

When we have full hookups we rinse it out twice.

To us, it's not that big of a deal. We plan ahead for what we need to do and it saves a lot of time.

Another option would be to bring along a blue tote, you could make the first dump into the blue tote and then fill up the toilet before you dump a second time. That way you wouldn't have to open up the TM. Or, you could dump the TM and then fill up with a "mini charge" and some tank chemical after you get home. That would also help eliminate odors.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:44 AM   #8
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Thetford also makes an adapter that mounts on the toilet, and is intended to hook directly to the trailer/boat fresh water supply so that you could easily recharge the toilet with the flip of a valve. I've thought about getting this and then running the line through the floor to the outside of the trailer. Then after dumping, I could then hook up one of those fresh water hoses intended for flushing directly to the adapter, and rinse the toilet that way.

The problem is that, at least with most places we dump, there either isn't one of these pressurized flushing hoses, or if there is, it doesn't have any sort of fitting on the end. So in the end, I just decided it was too much hassle. If I was that worried about it, I'd open up the TM as B_and_D does. But the humidity level in SoCal is usually so low, anything residual dries out rapidly.

Dave
Old 02-01-2012, 05:23 AM   #9
Dave99gst

man im glad i dont have to deal with that thing
Dave99gst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:48 AM   #10
rumbleweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by househunterlives View Post
Your right. But we still have to rinse the toilet by filling it back up and dump it again. In order to do that you have to open up the TM at the dump station. Other wise it is going to stink. We have a 2005 3023.
I usually do a quick rinse when I get home as I always open up to remove laundry, food and dry out the fridge. I simply put a small amount of Odoban in 3 gal of water and pour into the toilet circulate then dump back into a bucket and into the home toilet. This is just an extra measure as the second rinse is always pretty clean.