TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-07-2007, 11:03 AM   #1
Smokeybear5150

Default toilet leaks

We just purchased a 1999 trailmanor and found that the toilet is leaking pretty bad from the base area when we charged it, (obviously we can't use it) I called to have it serviced or replaced and found it will cost anywhere from $350 to $700 to either repair or replace it. Has anyone worked on these toilets on their own with the same issues. If so can you give us any hints on what you found wrong with it and how you were able to solve the problem without the high expense...Or is this just the way it is with this type of toilet. We notice it is extremely tight quarters just to get to the toilet to begin with. We live in Pagosa Springs, CO and the closest dealers are in Colorado Springs, CO or Utah...Thats were we got the quotes from plus in Colorado Springs we will have to leave it for a week or 2 just to get it done. Your help will be appreciated!!!

Thanks! Smokeybear:
Old 06-07-2007, 11:55 AM   #2
2bcs1jrt

Where is it leaking? To the floor? To the ground down the dump pipe? If you go to the Thetford web site, click on permament toilets and then Electra Magic RV 80, you will find an exploded view of all the parts. It's not pleasant but not hard to fix them generally. Do a search here for toilet and Im sure you will be overwelmed with info.
Note: most posts that include links to Thetford probably won't work (at least from my experience) as they just completly redid their site
Good Luck
Cheri
Old 06-07-2007, 01:49 PM   #3
Virginia Deacon
TrailManor Master

Default No Deal - Maybe!

It depends on where the problem is. But, if it's the gasket at the base of the toilet, and you fix it yourself, the cost should be under $20. It's very tight working quarters and takes some patience to get the toilet loose and then reinstalled.

My suggestion is to be prepared to take the whole toilet apart and inspect everything, replacing what is cracked or broken. I've done that, and ended up replacing the main floor gasket and float indicator showing how full the toilet is. And, I was a computer geek, not a plumber, so if I can do it, just about anyone can!

As mentioned, this is not a pleasant job to start with, but - once you get everything cleaned up - it's not smelly or messy, and it's pretty easy to get everything back together. An alternative - assuming the toilet and not the sewer pipe is leaking - is to pull the old unit and replace it with a new one.

The price you mentioned is - in my opinion - WAY out of line, UNLESS the repair shop is planning on doing a complete inspection, as noted above. But, repair shops generally will charge what people are willing to pay.

Please check the threads on this forum (I've posted several - with pictures) and consider doing this repair yourself. In the long run, that will save you money and educate you about how the toilet works.

Happy Camping!
Virginia Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:23 PM   #4
Smokeybear5150

Smile Thanks for the help!

Thank you all for your suggestions....

The leak is at the base of the toilet running out onto the bathroom floor. Hopefully it will be just the gasket. I will have my husband read your comments I am sure it will be very helpful. I also thought the quotes I rec'd were pretty high too, that's why I went to the forum for help. You are the folks with the know how. Thanks again !

Smokeybear
Old 06-07-2007, 03:12 PM   #5
Jubolo

Hi,
You can buy a new one for under $475.00 on line if you need to have one!!

Fred
Old 06-07-2007, 04:37 PM   #6
2bcs1jrt

We just replaced the gasket that sits between the toilet and the drain pipe. It took a couple of hours just cuz the space is small and tricky to work in but once the toilet is out, anything that needs replacing likely will be simple and the part we replaced cost $3.00. The Thetford folks are sometimes able to help you by phone too, and will send parts at reasonable prices.
Cheri
Old 06-07-2007, 09:16 PM   #7
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeybear5150 View Post
1999 trailmanor ... toilet is leaking pretty bad from the base area when we charged it, (obviously we can't use it) I called to have it serviced or replaced and found it will cost anywhere from $350 to $700 to either repair or replace it. Has anyone worked on these toilets on their own with the same issues. If so can you give us any hints on what you found wrong with it and how you were able to solve the problem without the high expense...
My experience with the Thetford toilet is over 6 years ago, so my recollection is not as sharp or current as others may have. However, there is one thing you want to verify when you remove the toilet. Make sure the "locator disc" is mounted on the floor under one of the toilet feet. If that disc is missing, as mine was, the toilet vibrates as you travel and just shakes apart... literally. Check out the .pdf manual on this toilet at http://www.thetford.com/Portals/0/PD...Magic%20OM.pdf

You'll find the locator disc mentioned and shown on page 3, and a complete illustration of how to service this unit. Download this .pdf file and keep it with all the other instruction books you have for the trailer. Thetford will sell the parts to you directly, so you don't have to find a dealer who handles the parts, unless you are in a hurry and don't want to wait for UPS.

As others have said, it is not difficult, but the quarters are cramped. My field was electronics and a school district business administrator. As someone else said, "if I can do it... anyone can do it."

Best wishes for a successful repair.