TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Welcome Mat - Member Introductions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-26-2024, 07:56 PM   #1
DustyRoads

Default Picking up a new 2023 3124KB next week!

Hello, group! I'm Tom (DustyRoads)...
We are "downsizing" from a 25 foot Forest River Surveyor beast to a TM3124KB this week! So much to love about the TM line...I've been researching trailers for several months before settling on this one. I wanted to find a later model used one but they are rare so we found a good deal on a new one from last years stock. I've been scouring this forum and getting input from a wide variety of you experienced owners. I'm really impressed with the ingenuity of some of you to fabricate, alter or otherwise completely invent and reinvent new systems to improve your trailers.
My wife Michelle and I have 2 rescue pups, Sammie and Maisy, who go everywhere with us and we can't wait for the virgin excursion in our new camper. These things are ingenious...I can't believe it's taken me so long to discover them!
One question I have...what is the one thing you dislike most about the Trailmanor excluding the toilet? (see...I've been paying attention...)
I'm happy to be a part of this group and hope to meet some of you in our travels!
DustyRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 11:50 AM   #2
mickmanor

Default That is an excellent question, DustyRoads!

And, I will say that I dislike the vinyl/velcro pieces that "fill" the air gap between
the top and bottom of the TM.

Congratulations, and enjoy your new ventures!
mickmanor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 01:39 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmanor View Post
I will say that I dislike the vinyl/velcro pieces that "fill" the air gap between the top and bottom of the TM.
I'll offer a differing opinion about those things. When we got our first TM, many years ago, I learned immediately that the TM is short on places to put all the small everyday items that we need quick access to. The dog leash, for instance. My phone. My key ring. A pencil, pen and a small notepad. My sunglasses. The campground map with the wifi code and TV listing. My wallet when I want to sit. A small flashlight. The TV remote. You may be able to name a dozen more things - I can - that could be stashed in a drawer, except that the few drawers are full of other stuff that doesn't need quick access. The vinyl and velcro flaps make wonderful shelves to hold those items, making camping life bit simpler.

Then we got our second TM, and darn it, the flaps were slanted downward a bit. They made terrible shelves - everything would roll or slide onto the floor! I was about to remove and re-install the flaps to level them, when someone on this Forum pointed out the problem. The shell was not opening quite enough, leaving the outside edge of the flap a bit too high. A simple adjustment of the stop set the shell right, and the flaps properly level. We love those handy little shelves, and never went back. Yay, Forum folk!

Quote:
Congratulations, and enjoy your new ventures!
That goes for me too. You will love it.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 01:41 PM   #4
Shane826
TrailManor Master

Congrats! And I see what you did there with the name. Hopefully Cody can finish the story.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 07:06 PM   #5
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

If it's just the "look" of the vinyl flaps, there's someone here who made wooden inserts in place of the vinyl flaps. However, the vinyl with velcro has some insulating benefits, and we use them as shelves all the time.

@DustyRoads, at 31' fully open this may feel like an upsize compared to your Forest River, and an upgrade when closed for towing. The TM isn't quite as convenient for packing up and setting up, but we found that the packing up of the inside doesn't take that much more time. I would still be securing everything on the inside anyway, which pretty much leaves closing the wardrobe, washroom, flaps, and the beds/slides before closing the shells. Those extra steps really don't add much.

And the newer TM interiors are nicely upgraded. Ours still had carpeting and incandescent 12V lighting. The interior walls of the newer ones also have an additional lining to the aluminum skin. I'm not sure what advantages that has as I've only seen it once when at the Ontario CA dealership. (Us Canadians, that is Ontario CA, USA!)

I'm sure you will enjoy your new TM very much!

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2024, 07:36 PM   #6
DustyRoads

Thanks everyone for your input and for the warm welcome!
Since my original post I was finally granted access to the Trailmanor Owners Facebook page, so I scrolled through some recent posts and wouldn't you know it...there was a 2009 3124KB that recently came up for sale and is still available! I'm driving 8 hours tomorrow to have a look. 8 hours to save around $30K sounds like a worthwhile trip to me (if it's in decent shape). I'm kind of a project guy anyway, and we look forward to making it our own if I indeed pull it back to Florida.
I'll see if I can figure out how to post some pics if the deal goes through. If it does, prepare yourselves to be inundated with stupid questions!
Old 01-27-2024, 09:51 PM   #7
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

There are no stupid questions. This forum folks is great with passing their knowledge to those who ask.
Like others have said, a bit more storage would be nice. I too use those flaps as shelves when sitting on the couch reading.
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2024, 03:49 PM   #8
DustyRoads

The 500 mile trip to Chattanooga TN at 4 a.m. was definitely worthwhile. Practically pristine 2009 3124KB and just a wee bit less expensive than the new 2023 model I was going to pick up at the end of this week. The timing could not have been better. I was prepared to bring it home and start a reno but it needs absolutely nothing except a tranquil parking space next to a river.
I know just the spot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3059.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	22986  
Old 01-29-2024, 08:01 AM   #9
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyRoads View Post
The 500 mile trip to Chattanooga TN at 4 a.m. was definitely worthwhile. Practically pristine 2009 3124KB and just a wee bit less expensive than the new 2023 model I was going to pick up at the end of this week. The timing could not have been better. I was prepared to bring it home and start a reno but it needs absolutely nothing except a tranquil parking space next to a river.
I know just the spot.
Congrats on the nu-2-you TM. Sounds like you got a great deal and the $ that you saved will allow you to do some pretty cool mods.

I have one suggestion (which you may have already done). I'd adjust your hitch drawbar to bring the front of the trailer up to level. With the front low, you may well have issues going in and out of some driveways. That can easily damage your front stabilizer jacks. Don't ask me how I know that.....
Old 01-29-2024, 10:37 AM   #10
DustyRoads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavery View Post
Congrats on the nu-2-you TM. Sounds like you got a great deal and the $ that you saved will allow you to do some pretty cool mods.

I have one suggestion (which you may have already done). I'd adjust your hitch drawbar to bring the front of the trailer up to level. With the front low, you may well have issues going in and out of some driveways. That can easily damage your front stabilizer jacks. Don't ask me how I know that.....
Thanks, Wavery.
Yes, the seller included his WDH which we adjusted to bring up to level. Smooth as buttah.
Which brings up a question….I’d like a bit more ground clearance but would hesitate adding a lift unless it’s been done before with good results (and obviously no safety issues). Do you or someone else in the forum have any ideas about this?

Tags
2023 tm 3124kb